The new, shiny "Stuff I Have/Would Ban" thread!

lukelightning

First Post
These haven't come up in our game, but why do you feel +2 damage per tier to be ban worthy?

For me, it's another case of ranger love. There are all these bracers and ammo for bow-users. When will my sorcerer get magic ammo to use? When will my sorc get an item that gives him a flat +2 damage to all attacks?

Obryn

Hero
For me, it's another case of ranger love. There are all these bracers and ammo for bow-users. When will my sorcerer get magic ammo to use? When will my sorc get an item that gives him a flat +2 damage to all attacks?
He can, but it will cost him feats. Arcane Implement Proficiency: Staff, for example. :)

-O

Cadfan

First Post
My biggest problem with banning material is that there's a lot of material that's completely fair when used in most situations, but only broken when used in certain others. For example, the lasting frost / wintertouched feat pair. Our wizard has those feats. But he focuses on both fire and ice attacks, and took a paragon path that relates to traps. He gets good mileage out of them, but not unfair mileage.

I wouldn't want to ban those feats because he's using them in their intended manner, and he's not overusing them. But if we instead had a rogue who was arguing that by the letter of the rule these feats, when used in conjunction with a frost weapon, give him nearly continuous combat advantage and +5 damage, then I'd want to ban them.

So that's my conundrum, and why little to nothing is banned in my group. I may have a problem down the line if I have to retroactively ban something, but right now things are alright.

relmskye

First Post
I ban nothing!
If any kind of problem or imbalance arises, I can and will deal with it then. And I reserve the right to tell my players to stop taking the piss, of course, should it come up.

Worth noting, of course, is that I do not allow my players fine control over their acquisition of magic items (I warn people away from the Magic Item sections in the books, even, so they don't get their hearts set on anything specific). Even if I did though, if someone picks the Iron Armbands of Power, they'll usually do so because they want them; if a player enjoys doing as much damage as possible, who am I to say they're wrong for it or to deny them that pleasure when it causes me no real inconvenience? If other players feel outclassed or pressured into taking them, I'm certainly not above handing them something else powerful (and likely significantly more special and/or interesting). If the party at large does too much damage, I will adjust the bad guys to make up for it.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
If other players feel outclassed or pressured into taking them, I'm certainly not above handing them something else powerful (and likely significantly more special and/or interesting).

That latter part I find quite significant... I am inclined to absorb things... having fewer more special items ... more interesting I still have to pay attention to things like why Bloodclaw enchantments are ummm overly useful so that I dont build something too special with them... they are already blimey special.

Bloodclaw is called, "Weapon of Heros" in my skinning... everyday folks cant even use it (no hitpoints).

Eldorian

First Post
He can, but it will cost him feats. Arcane Implement Proficiency: Staff, for example. :)

-O

Sorcerers use staves and daggers.

Also, using a subtle dagger and staff of ruin seems silly, as is using any item property that relates to attacks without wielding that weapon with the attack.

One of the other.

My sorcerer/rogue hybrid (level 15) has the following:

+4 dagger. +3 subtle dagger. Weapon focus. Two weapon fighting. Dual Implement Spellcaster.

He has a crazy bonus damage and I don't really consider any of his items or feats to be out of line, save perhaps the subtle dagger.

I agree with banning basically every item that gives a static bonus to anything other than the main 3 items.

SteveC

Doing the best imitation of myself
I just wanted to comment that it's interesting that with all the material WotC releases each month, we still seem to be coming back to the same basic items for having real problems. That's not bad in my book: it seems like 4E has done a better job of keeping things balanced than we sometimes give it credit for.

Now onto the issue: I haven't seen the problem where I need to ban any items yet. In my current game I banned Battleragers, but that was pre-revision. I'd have to take a look at the revisions should someone ask about it.

I haven't banned bloodclaw/braciers despite a couple members of my group going for them, specifically because I did some work on how many HP my monsters have, and the damage the group can do. I wanted to deter any comments about grind in combat, and these are some ways to remove that problem.

I'm currently running War of the Burning Sky, and my group (all strikers!) have been challenged in literally every battle, so it hasn't been a problem for me. Monsters in 4E have a lot of HP, and cutting back on the group's ability to do damage might spoil some of the fun we're having.

That's just my group, mind you...your's might be significantly different.

--Steve

lukelightning

First Post
Ok, let me rephrase that: When will my sorcerer get an armband or other item that will give him a +2 damage bonus to all attacks that stacks with his implement?

Remove ads