D&D 5E The new UA feats are AWESOME for sorcerers.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
My request was to be able to select a replacement spell if you are already granted darkness from some other game feature (subclass, race, whatever).
I think choosing your spell would be too much, but giving a short list of spells could work.

Li Shenron

Legend
My request was to be able to select a replacement spell if you are already granted darkness from some other game feature (subclass, race, whatever).

This might seem good at least as a clarification, but ultimately it is not needed and can cause unwanted consequences.

Classes with scarce numbers of known spells (Sorcerer, Warlock, Ranger and Bard, as well as EK/AT subclasses) can already replace a known spell when levelling up, so they have no penalty for choosing these feats as-written even if they already know the granted spell.

Druids and Paladins don't already know Misty Step nor Darkness, so they don't need a replacement.

Clerics may or may not know Misty Step nor Darkness (depending on domain), but they already know all their possible spells, so they cannot replace it with something else from their class spells list.

Wizard already know a lot of spells, they don't really need a replacement, but then they are the least likely class to take this feat, because they have much better ways to obtain new known spells (although variant humans might like the perk of getting these 2nd-level spells at 1st level, but what replacement do you need when you're at 1st level?).

If the character already has Misty Step or Darkness from a clerical domain, race, or special class ability (the only other case I have in mind is the Oathbreaker extra known spells) then they don't need the feat in the first place, because Misty Step is the primary reason for someone to take Fey Touched, and Darkness is the primary reason to take Shadow Touched, not the 1st-level spell (if you are more interested in the 1st-level spell, take Magical Adept which doesn't limit the school of magic and gives you also two cantrips).

So allowing a replacement will only create a possible confusion when a Cleric who already has it tries to convince the DM that they want the feat but deserve a replacement spell, and then try to get any 2nd-level spell from another class, which is NOT the intent of the feat. If that was the intent, then why don't they just do a generic feat that explicitly grants any one 2nd-level spell of choice, instead of creating a loophole from doing so exploiting an exception?

edit: what do you think is the reason why they made 2 feats specifically for Misty Step and Darkness? I think that these were chosen because they are already granted by some races, and either the designers believe they are not gamebreaking at 1st-level, or they forgot that variant humans can get these feats at 1st (if it's the latter case, we'll see a level requirement added to the feats when they are published)

Last edited:

Pauln6

Hero
This might seem good at least as a clarification, but ultimately it is not needed and can cause unwanted consequences.

Classes with scarce numbers of known spells (Sorcerer, Warlock, Ranger and Bard, as well as EK/AT subclasses) can already replace a known spell when levelling up, so they have no penalty for choosing these feats as-written even if they already know the granted spell.

Druids and Paladins don't already know Misty Step nor Darkness, so they don't need a replacement.

Clerics may or may not know Misty Step nor Darkness (depending on domain), but they already know all their possible spells, so they cannot replace it with something else from their class spells list.

Wizard already know a lot of spells, they don't really need a replacement, but then they are the least likely class to take this feat, because they have much better ways to obtain new known spells (although variant humans might like the perk of getting these 2nd-level spells at 1st level, but what replacement do you need when you're at 1st level?).

If the character already has Misty Step or Darkness from a clerical domain, race, or special class ability (the only other case I have in mind is the Oathbreaker extra known spells) then they don't need the feat in the first place, because Misty Step is the primary reason for someone to take Fey Touched, and Darkness is the primary reason to take Shadow Touched, not the 1st-level spell (if you are more interested in the 1st-level spell, take Magical Adept which doesn't limit the school of magic and gives you also two cantrips).

So allowing a replacement will only create a possible confusion when a Cleric who already has it tries to convince the DM that they want the feat but deserve a replacement spell, and then try to get any 2nd-level spell from another class, which is NOT the intent of the feat. If that was the intent, then why don't they just do a generic feat that explicitly grants any one 2nd-level spell of choice, instead of creating a loophole from doing so exploiting an exception?

edit: what do you think is the reason why they made 2 feats specifically for Misty Step and Darkness? I think that these were chosen because they are already granted by some races, and either the designers believe they are not gamebreaking at 1st-level, or they forgot that variant humans can get these feats at 1st (if it's the latter case, we'll see a level requirement added to the feats when they are published)
I think RAW this may not work for shadow sorcerers since it expressly states that Darkness does not count against your number of spells known. If you learn a different spell, you're just going to run into the class cap. Easier to tweak the feat to a choice of two thematic spells than the class feature. Shadow step is basically Misty Step with extended range and limitations so it might be a good option. If it's not in a ny spell lists yet, it should be.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
With that I could see myself deliberately acquiring Darkness (hello Drow) in order to use this feat to pick up Shadow Blade....
That's cool, you'd have to plan for that from 1st level then. I see absolutely no problem with that, especially since you'd be able to do that with the feat anyway and this just stops you from doubling up on what you already have.

Remove ads