D&D 5E The new UA feats are AWESOME for sorcerers.

Weiley31

Legend
Totally agreed.

I think the main thing that I wanted to comment on by starting this thread is how the new +spells/+invocations/+sorc points feats seem like they are much better for the classes that already get those features than they are as an expansion of versatility for others.

Mostly that hasn't been true for feats--magic initiate is best for adding versatility for non-casters.
Just like how Martial Adept is a helpful add on to the Battle Master, or any other class that uses Superiority Die, Metamagic Adept and Eldritch Adept are both helpful add-on/support to their respective classes. Of course an Invocation or Metamagic on another class is probably helpful too. But there's more milage gained outta intended add-on/support.

I liked one person's idea on here, or another topic, where a Wizard using Metamagic Adept, for the Metamagic options, was flavored as calling upon some of the lost art of Elven High Magic.

Last edited:

Weiley31

Legend
I had a hexblade fighter (eldrich knight) where I considered converting him to that giant runic sub-class but give him magical adept to keep that arcane touch... it totally would have worked.

But again, power creep is a thing. Esp if your casting stat is uneven, you can totally afford to take a "half feat"...
You could TOTALLY flavor that Invocation as an extra "Runic Symbol/Rune" if you have a Rune Knight take Eldritch Adept.

Remathilis

Legend
Shadow Touched
+1 Charisma
new 2nd level spell known: darkness (a good spell)
new 1st level spell known from the following list:
illusion:​
Color Spray​
Disguise Self​
Illusory Script​
Silent Image​
necromancy:​
Cause Fear (xgte)​
False Life​
Inflict Wounds​
Ray of Sickness​
AND one extra spell cast per day

The only problem with this is the obvious subclass to take this (shadow sorcerer) already gets darkness as a free bonus spell at 3rd level and gets a special ability when using it, so effectively you only get the first level spell known. Personally, I'd prefer the spell be something else other than darkness (Shadow blade being the obvious choice, though being XGE it'd have to be reprinted) or some caveat that if you know the spell from another source, you can choose a different one. There are so many other ways to get that spell (twilight clerics, mark of shadow elves, Dimir Agents, swamp druids) that make thematic sense to take the feat, but mechanically are redundant.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I think the ability to Don or doff a shield as an interaction should be available as a fighting style as well. Could add a 1d4 shield bash to it too I suppose (maybe allowing it to work with a shove for a cool combo with shield master) since mariner also has multiple benefits.
I'd be cool with that. The feat could then grant that fighting style or protection fighting style, and secondary benefits with a shield.
My only concern with the implantation of that as a fighting style is that it leaves those in a difficult choice between Protection fighting style and the one you suggest, when those characters who would choose Protection fighting style in the first place are those who should probably be the best at using their shield, at least tacking it on as a part of shield master means they can still get it.
Why should protection be just better with a shield all around, rather than simply better at protecting people?

Pauln6

Hero
The only problem with this is the obvious subclass to take this (shadow sorcerer) already gets darkness as a free bonus spell at 3rd level and gets a special ability when using it, so effectively you only get the first level spell known. Personally, I'd prefer the spell be something else other than darkness (Shadow blade being the obvious choice, though being XGE it'd have to be reprinted) or some caveat that if you know the spell from another source, you can choose a different one. There are so many other ways to get that spell (twilight clerics, mark of shadow elves, Dimir Agents, swamp druids) that make thematic sense to take the feat, but mechanically are redundant.
Maybe it needs a line of additional text to give a choice between darkness and another spell or just mirror misty step with shadow step (typically misty step with increased range between areas of dim light or darkness).

Pauln6

Hero
I'd be cool with that. The feat could then grant that fighting style or protection fighting style, and secondary benefits with a shield.

Why should protection be just better with a shield all around, rather than simply better at protecting people?
Maybe the shield feat should allow donning or doffing as a bonus action. If you have shield proficiency from a class feature or another source, you can instead Don or doff as your free object interaction.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
You could TOTALLY flavor that Invocation as an extra "Runic Symbol/Rune" if you have a Rune Knight take Eldritch Adept.

He had a lot of flavor - he became a hexblade because of an evil experiment - his leg was tut off and replaced with the leg of another - a hexblade. The wizard succeeded in his mad operation, and the pact "stuck" to the character. Only "came online" at level 8 though. The original build was eldritch knight 3/hexblade 5, but I think rune knight with magical adept instead of eldritch knight works better - he uses armor of agathy a lot, and the damage resistance...

Shield training also severely annoys me because as far as I'm aware it is the only way to don/doff a shield using an object interaction, and said feat is largely awful for those who have shield proficiencies already. It means a wizard with no background in martial training that decides to "spend a few weeks learning how to hold this silly piece of wood" learns how to use a shield better than a fighter whose spent his whole life learning, but didn't feel like wasting an ASI just to take their shield off quicker.

In fact a number of the feats in this article are either quite weak or suffer from similar oddities. I love chef though.
To each their own. You'd be surprised how many characters in our games would take that feat in a heartbeat. Hell we spent half a session last week trying to figure out how to feed a baby giant boar.
I agree about the shield feat. Not being able to don or doff a shield quickly forces you into a fighting style at the beginning of a combat. It'd be nice to be able to switch things up in a fight without wasting an action. I thought it'd be a better feat for martials instead of casters.

For Chef feat, I have a character that took Leadership, reflavoured it as 'Chef' and keyed it off Wisdom instead of charisma. So everyone eats the food and gets temporary hit points equal to Wisdom + level

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
The Sorcerer is still rad as hell, even without these feats.

Every one in my group that's played a sorcerer (including me) agrees with you. I'll nitpick the class on not enough spells known at 12th+ level, and the lack of some more thematic spells for certain subclasses (shadow sorcerer, I'm looking at you), but that's about it. It's a great class.

Remove ads