D&D 5E The new UA feats are AWESOME for sorcerers.

I think the ability to Don or doff a shield as an interaction should be available as a fighting style as well. Could add a 1d4 shield bash to it too I suppose (maybe allowing it to work with a shove for a cool combo with shield master) since mariner also has multiple benefits.

My only concern with the implantation of that as a fighting style is that it leaves those in a difficult choice between Protection fighting style and the one you suggest, when those characters who would choose Protection fighting style in the first place are those who should probably be the best at using their shield, at least tacking it on as a part of shield master means they can still get it. Frankly I feel like donning/doffing a shield should've been a bonus action RAW anyway. It by design fits the idea of bonus actions as something that is time consuming (and thus limited), but shouldn't overly penalize a player for doing it. It's how I rule it in my games.

Villain of the Week: Is that a hint of Nutmeg in that spell you just cast at me?
Artificer: Why yes. I feel that it contrasts well with the acid from Acid Spray.
Villain of the Week: I mean I love Nutmeg, but I don't know how that would cover the acidic tas-Falls down the hole, the acid just made, in the floor.

Oh, the spells I prepare are all totally done as food related cosmetically. My faerie fire is throwing a bag of flour on enemies, my grease spell comes from melting butter on a hot skillet, my healing/restoration spells are feeding people different pies (even mid combat), my jump spell is a snack with a grasshopper leg sticking out of it, and my enlarge/reduce spell involves throwing a magically imbued mushroom at others ala Mario. I tend to only prepare spells I can come up with a cooking concept to, as the character is in said game doing one of those "we are players trapped in an MMO" type setups, and my character is the one in the group who cares not one whit about optimization and instead was the person who went hardcore into leveling "useless" professions (like cooking and pet collecting) in the game effectively making a "chef class" out of the artificer in game class. Basically my role in the "raid group" is to prebuff them all with food buffs, and try not to "stand in the fire". I explained my fire resist racial as my character having previously a terrible internet connection/bad labtop and it was his work around to stop causing raid wipes from lag. My homunculus is a dragon quest style slime called Blueberry and the whole character is obsessed with making pies. Next level I intend to make tiny servants in the shape of edible dancing pies/cupcakes.

Honestly? I'd wager artificer might be one of my favorite classes RAW.

Weiley31

Legend
My only concern with the implantation of that as a fighting style is that it leaves those in a difficult choice between Protection fighting style and the one you suggest, when those characters who would choose Protection fighting style in the first place are those who should probably be the best at using their shield, at least tacking it on as a part of shield master means they can still get it. Frankly I feel like donning/doffing a shield should've been a bonus action RAW anyway. It by design fits the idea of bonus actions as something that is time consuming (and thus limited), but shouldn't overly penalize a player for doing it. It's how I rule it in my games.

Oh, the spells I prepare are all totally done as food related cosmetically. My faerie fire is throwing a bag of flour on enemies, my grease spell comes from melting butter on a hot skillet, my healing/restoration spells are feeding people different pies (even mid combat), my jump spell is a snack with a grasshopper leg sticking out of it, and my enlarge/reduce spell involves throwing a magically imbued mushroom at others ala Mario. I tend to only prepare spells I can come up with a cooking concept to, as the character is in said game doing one of those "we are players trapped in an MMO" type setups, and my character is the one in the group who cares not one whit about optimization and instead was the person who went hardcore into leveling "useless" professions (like cooking and pet collecting) in the game effectively making a "chef class" out of the artificer in game class. Basically my role in the "raid group" is to prebuff them all with food buffs, and try not to "stand in the fire". I explained my fire resist racial as my character having previously a terrible internet connection/bad labtop and it was his work around to stop causing raid wipes from lag. My homunculus is a dragon quest style slime called Blueberry and the whole character is obsessed with making pies. Next level I intend to make tiny servants in the shape of edible dancing pies/cupcakes.

Honestly? I'd wager artificer might be one of my favorite classes RAW.
That is utterly awesome and extremely, excuse the pun, flavorful!!!

Pauln6

Hero
Seriously speaking, how do they balance vs magical adept? One level 1 spell only, 2 cantrips, but no stat increase... I'm not sure.

Cantrips scale. That's huge. Feats that grant access to one thematic first and second level spell are exactly what Sorcerers and Warlocks need to give them some extra flavour. I always thought Pact of the Tome Warlocks should have had access to an invocation that did something similar.

Last edited:

squibbles

Adventurer
Seriously speaking, how do they balance vs magical adept? One level 1 spell only, 2 cantrips, but no stat increase... I'm not sure.

Being half-feats that grant spell slots and spell knowledge pushes Fey Touched and Shadow Touched into power creep territory--especially for spells known casters.

That said, they aren't preferable to magical [initiate] in all cases. There are PCs--generally martial ones--that would prefer the cantrips and versatility.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Being half-feats that grant spell slots and spell knowledge pushes Fey Touched and Shadow Touched into power creep territory--especially for spells known casters.

That said, they aren't preferable to magical [initiate] in all cases. There are PCs--generally martial ones--that would prefer the cantrips and versatility.

I had a hexblade fighter (eldrich knight) where I considered converting him to that giant runic sub-class but give him magical adept to keep that arcane touch... it totally would have worked.

But again, power creep is a thing. Esp if your casting stat is uneven, you can totally afford to take a "half feat"...

People usually take Magic Adept for a specific spell, such as Shillelagh or Find Familiar, the other two spells are just gravy. So people will still go for the one that gives them access to the spell they are after. So in that sense they are balanced. When the desired spell is on both - Hex comes to mind - Fey Touched looks better than Magic Adept (Warlock).

Not only are the extra spell feats nice, 2 extra metamagic options is doubling the potency and 2 extra (limited) sorcery points are also great. There are a few things in here. Anothe one is the warlock feat to get devil sight.

squibbles

Adventurer
People usually take Magic Adept for a specific spell, such as Shillelagh or Find Familiar, the other two spells are just gravy. So people will still go for the one that gives them access to the spell they are after. So in that sense they are balanced. When the desired spell is on both - Hex comes to mind - Fey Touched looks better than Magic Adept (Warlock).

Not only are the extra spell feats nice, 2 extra metamagic options is doubling the potency and 2 extra (limited) sorcery points are also great. There are a few things in here. Anothe one is the warlock feat to get devil sight.

Totally agreed.

I think the main thing that I wanted to comment on by starting this thread is how the new +spells/+invocations/+sorc points feats seem like they are much better for the classes that already get those features than they are as an expansion of versatility for others.

Mostly that hasn't been true for feats--magic initiate is best for adding versatility for non-casters.

Remove ads