The 'New' World Of Darkness Makes Way For Chronicles Of Darkness And The World Of Darkness

In case you missed it, White Wolf Publishing has been under new ownership for the last couple of months, since Swedish video game publisher Paradox Interactive announced buying the rights to White Wolf Publishing and the World of Darkness and Exalted properties from CCP Games in October. This announcement left fans, and developers up in the air over what the next step would be. Yesterday, at the Tenebrae Noctis White Wolf fan convention in Cologne, more information was announced. Probably one of the bigger announcements being about what was the status, going forward, of the various Worlds of Darkness currently being published.

In case you missed it, White Wolf Publishing has been under new ownership for the last couple of months, since Swedish video game publisher Paradox Interactive announced buying the rights to White Wolf Publishing and the World of Darkness and Exalted properties from CCP Games in October. This announcement left fans, and developers up in the air over what the next step would be. Yesterday, at the Tenebrae Noctis White Wolf fan convention in Cologne, more information was announced. Probably one of the bigger announcements being about what was the status, going forward, of the various Worlds of Darkness currently being published.

White Wolf Publishing will be doing the, new, fourth editions of the World of Darkness games, starting with

A press release on the Onyx Path Publishing website said this:

Onyx Path Publishing and White Wolf Publishing are proud to announce that Chronicles of Darkness is now the overall brand name for the series of game lines previously called the New World of Darkness. These game lines include Vampire: the Requiem 2nd Edition, Werewolf: the Forsaken 2nd Edition, Mage: the Awakening 2nd Edition, Promethean: the Created 2nd Edition, Changeling: the Lost 2nd Edition, Hunter: the Vigil 2nd Edition, Geist: the Sin-Eaters, Mummy: the Curse, Demon: the Descent, and Beast: the Primordial, as well as any upcoming projects and game lines.

And the press release went into some of the reasoning for the change here:

Because, let’s face it, the cWoD/nWoD thing has always been awkward once you tried to explain why there were two of them but the second WoD wasn’t another edition but a whole ‘nother reimagining. Another WoD that enables equally awesome stories to be told but which has different rules and themes and overall tone. Nothing confusing there!

Onyx Path Publishing will also continue with the 20th Anniversary editions of World of Darkness games and Exalted.

Where the “new” World of Darkness will now be called The Chronicles of Darkness, the lines being developed in-house by White Wolf Publishing will just be, simply, The World of Darkness. No longer will there be a “new,” “classic,” or any other sort of qualifier to the title. Where White Wolf Publishing’s World of Darkness games will line up with the upcoming AAA video game, and other media adaptations, the Chronicles of Darkness will be continue to be “an amazing toolkit to create the WOD that you as the Storyteller want,” according to Martin Elricsson, the Lead Storyteller at White Wolf Publishing.

It looks that the World of Darkness setting material will feature a shift from America to Europe, which makes sense coming from a publisher based in Europe. This might actually make the buy-in to the setting easier for many American gamers, since it will make the setting, for them, into more of a “fantasy world” and less of the “world outside of your windows.”

In addition to developing the World of Darkness game in-house, it also looks that White Wolf Publishing will also be developing new LARP rules in-house as well. From social media talk on Twitter and Facebook, it looks as though the new rules will take a nod from the traditions of Nordic LARPs, which will be interesting to see. I admit that I have never been one for LARPing, so my knowledge of that area is a hole that I will have to fill up in order to talk about it intelligently in the future.

In the Onyx Path Publishing press release for the Chronicles of Darkness announcement, they also talked about practical, licensing-related reasons for why the name shifts make sense:

And on a licensing level, garnering interest outside our hobby has been a nightmare. One kind of Hollywood type has a 3.5 second attention span, by and large, and you have to hook them right away, while another type Googles everything as you’re talking. The first will be gone before you can explain the N in new WoD, and the second will find page after page of info that sounds similar but is different and is all coming up under World of Darkness.

DMZ2112

Chaotic Looseleaf
Chris, I'm a little fuzzy on the math, as if there's a 2nd edition of Requiem and a 2nd edition of Masquerade, this is (at least) the fifth iteration of the ruleset, is it not? Can you share your sources on the new edition? The Onyx Path press release doesn't mention it.

Is it clear from your sources whether the new material will parallel the original World of Darkness setting, continue with the Chronicles of Darkness setting, or be an entirely new third setting?

In any case, thank you for the article; this is is good news. Paradox drinks first at the vaulderie! :[)

My assumption is that the stuff that Paradox/White Wolf will be doing will grow out of the old World of Darkness material, but I don't know. It looks like there will be an ongoing plot to the "World of Darkness," while "Chronicles of Darkness" continue with a more toolkit approach.

I reached out to contacts for follow up, but it's a Saturday. :)

bergec

Explorer
Short version:

Old World of Darkness = World of Darkness
New World of Darkness = Chronicles of Darkness

Nothing else changes. This is just to clarify branding on the two lines.

Chronicles of Darkness was formerly called World of Darkness 2nd Edition, it was going to be the new edition of this book.

So, the "classic" World of Darkness line continues with books like:

Vampire: the Masquerade 20th Anniversary Edition
Werewolf: the Apocalypse 20th Anniversary Edition
Mage: the Ascension 20th Anniversary Edition
Wraith: the Oblivion: 20th Anniversary Edition (coming soon)
Changeling: the Dreaming 20th Anniversary Edition (Kickstarter going on now)
Vampire 20th Anniversary Edition The Dark Ages

Chronicles of Darkness (formerly "new" World of Darkness) continues with:

Vampire: the Requiem 2nd Edition
Werewolf: the Forsaken 2nd Edition
Demon: the Descent
Mage: the Awakening 2nd Edition (coming soon)
Promethean: the Created 2nd Edition (coming soon)
Changeling: the Lost 2nd Edition (coming soon)
Hunter: the Vigil 2nd Edition (coming soon)

There are new books coming out for both game lines and plenty of excellent material is already available. I've developed books for both (Hunter: Mortal Remains and Dread Names, Red List for example) and have more on the way.

This change will help move things along with the upcoming 2nd Editions and any new games that are part of the Chronicles of Darkness line. We won't have to deal with stuff like announcing a new book for the World of Darkness and getting a reply like "Which World of Darkness?"

-MMM

I am still confused. I understand that there are books being released under different brands, I just don't understand why. I guess some of it is done by WW and some is done by someone else? Was there some kind of ideological schism or hostile takeover? What is the difference between the two approaches? Do they cover the same material? It is confusing both as a potential customer and as someone who is interested in the industry. It seems like that kind of confusion is bad for a brand.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads