The next 'Big Thing'?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Looks like the next trend will be Race-specific books:

Green Ronin have announced the Race of Renown series - "These books are packed with new feats, prestige classes, equipment, spells, and magic items Hammer and Helm: A Guidebook to Dwarves kicks off the series. Written by Dragon Magazine editor Jesse Decker, Hammer and Helm is a must for any fan of the classic fantasy dwarf. Future volumes include Bow and Blade: A Guidebook to Elves and Plot and Poison: A Guidebook to Drow."

Paradigm Concepts have announced Eldest Sons: The Essential Guide to Elves, the first book in their Races of Legend series. Each book in the series will "focuses on one player character race and delving deep into their history and society as well as adding player options, such as new feats, skills, spells, beginning class and prestige classes exclusively tailored to that race."

And I'll be amazed if Mongoose don't have something similar in their future lineup. :)

trancejeremy

Adventurer
The trouble I've always had with race books is that they well, don't really work very well. You pretty much have to have a campaign that has the same basic premise that the author of the book was from.

I mean, take elves. Just what are they like?

In the original D&D, you had grey elves, which were straight out of Spenser's Faerie Queen. High elves were somewhat vaguely defined, and wood elves, who live more or less like the smurfs.

3E seems to make the latter the default for elves. (Live in the woods, dance around, are artistic, etc)

In my own campaign setting, elves are sort of a combination of real world elves, those of James Blaylocks (in the Elfin Ship), and Michael Moorcock's Melniboneans (which are also based on real world elves, but more decadent).

In the Sovereign Stone setting, which is probably my favorite, Elves are a lot like the Japanese.

I'm not entirely sure if Kalamar has elves. But they seem rather reclusive.

The Forgotten Realms has gold and moon elves, I think. They don't really fit the pattern of what regular D&D elves are like.

Dark Sun has nomadic elves. Mystara has all sorts of elves, none of which are really that much like the default elves. Birthright has elves that are strongly reclusive and hate humans (and are woodsy).

Presumably the race books will use the D&D defaults. Which is fine for some people, but probably not even most, I think.

Dolarre

First Post
Big Book o' Elves

trancejeremy said:
The trouble I've always had with race books is that they well, don't really work very well. You pretty much have to have a campaign that has the same basic premise that the author of the book was from.

I mean, take elves. Just what are they like?

. . .cut for brevity . . .

Presumably the race books will use the D&D defaults. Which is fine for some people, but probably not even most, I think.

I have always felt the same way. Thats why I'm doing things a little bit differently.

Last edited:

Synicism

First Post
I dunno. Personally, I think that the next "big thing" we're going to see will be Epic campaign stuff. Once people figure out how to write OGL stuff that's compatible with the Epic Level rules, I expect that we'll see plenty of high level campaign settings, adventures, and supplements designed towards super-characters.

der_kluge

Adventurer
big thing

Personally, I think some D20 publshers lack creative vision.

Not to belittle their work. It's good stuff, it just doesn't interest me any. But, the Complete Book of Elves et al is to gaming resources as Etch-A-Sketch is to Art.

The next big thing?
Thunderhead Games is doing it. I'm working on it. Leave me alone!!! Muahahahaha!

Remove ads