D&D 5E The October D&D Book is Fizban’s Treasury of Dragons

As revealed by Nerd Immersion by deciphering computer code from D&D Beyond! Which makes my guess earlier this year spot on! UPDATE -- the book now has a description! https://www.enworld.org/threads/fizbans-treasury-the-dragon-book-now-has-a-description.681399/ https://www.enworld.org/threads/my-guess-for-the-other-d-d-book-this-year-draconomicon.680687/ Fizban the Fabulous by Vera...

As revealed by Nerd Immersion by deciphering computer code from D&D Beyond!

Fizban the Fabulous is, of course, the accident-prone, befuddled alter-ego of Dragonlance’s god of good dragons, Paladine, the platinum dragon (Dragonlance’s version of Bahamut).

Which makes my guess earlier this year spot on!

UPDATE -- the book now has a description!

2E56D87C-A6D8-4079-A3B5-132567350A63.png

EEA82AF0-58EA-457E-B1CA-9CD5DCDF4035.jpeg

Fizban the Fabulous by Vera Gentinetta

Rikka66

Adventurer
Honestly, I'm wondering: how are they going to get a whole book out of just dragons? Playable dragon rules, a dragon-themed bestiary, and ... what else? It doesn't seem like you could fill up a whole book with just that. Random hoard tables, maybe?

The last three editions each had a Draconomicon. 4th Edition had two. Now add in the 5th edition smorgasbord approach.

Honestly, I'm wondering: how are they going to get a whole book out of just dragons? Playable dragon rules, a dragon-themed bestiary, and ... what else? It doesn't seem like you could fill up a whole book with just that. Random hoard tables, maybe?
Lore and ecology of each dragon type. Sample dragon lairs and treasure hoards for each type of dragon. Details on the draconic pantheon. Examples of interesting/unique dragons. Customizing dragons. How to run dragons in games, and how to run a dragon-centric campaign. Dragon-themed magic items and spells. Lore on dragonborn. The UA stuff - new dragonborn types and player options.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
They literally got 2-3 some editions. It isn't hard if you fill it with biology, motivations, a lair for a few, 50 statblocks......it is really not hard at all.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Could be true, but it is still up to them what they do. They could easily have 5-10 creative dragons that break the color wheel / gem molds in a book this size. We'll see if they do. My guess? Re-printing the same stuff, and claw/claw/bite/breath with a minor thing or two besides, for lots of dragons....with the only real difference being the breath weapon and a few things gem dragons can do.
I'm guessing they will rely on templates and new optional lair actions to expand the things dragons can do in battle.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Does this mean Fizban in hanging out in the Forgotten Realms too, like Tasha and Mordenkainen? At this rate I'm expecting the Lady of Pain to start hanging out in Waterdeep too.
Technically while the majority of 5e APs have been set in the realms (and the sword coast in particular), the assumed default setting of 5e is actually not FR, but an interconnected multiverse in which all the various D&D settings exist. You can see this in the PHB, with the way they talk about “the worlds of D&D” (worlds, plural) and throw in tons of little references to different settzings. It has also been confirmed by Jeremy Crawford.

Dire Bare

Legend
WotC doesn't publish any novels, they are all licenses where the publisher pays WotC for the privilege. HarperCollins pays WotC for the rights to Drizz't and puts up all of the money for Salvatore to make a book. WotC only makes games themselves.
True . . . but WotC still owns the resulting novels straight out, story, characters, setting, all of the IP. They also exhibit creative control during the editing process. They are still very much involved in the process of putting out new Drizzt and Dragonlance novels, they just aren't doing the actual publishing anymore.

Remove ads

Remove ads