D&D 5E The October D&D Book is Fizban’s Treasury of Dragons

As revealed by Nerd Immersion by deciphering computer code from D&D Beyond! Which makes my guess earlier this year spot on! UPDATE -- the book now has a description! https://www.enworld.org/threads/fizbans-treasury-the-dragon-book-now-has-a-description.681399/ https://www.enworld.org/threads/my-guess-for-the-other-d-d-book-this-year-draconomicon.680687/ Fizban the Fabulous by Vera...

As revealed by Nerd Immersion by deciphering computer code from D&D Beyond!

Fizban the Fabulous is, of course, the accident-prone, befuddled alter-ego of Dragonlance’s god of good dragons, Paladine, the platinum dragon (Dragonlance’s version of Bahamut).

Which makes my guess earlier this year spot on!

UPDATE -- the book now has a description!

2E56D87C-A6D8-4079-A3B5-132567350A63.png

EEA82AF0-58EA-457E-B1CA-9CD5DCDF4035.jpeg

Fizban the Fabulous by Vera Gentinetta

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Wolfgang Baur was a huge part of WotC for years. I think Kobold Press seems "more creative" than WotC because they don't have a large percentage of their fans demanding that they reprint everything they've ever done. Trying to please -- or at least quiet down -- that audience takes up a lot of WotC's design space.
Could be true, but it is still up to them what they do. They could easily have 5-10 creative dragons that break the color wheel / gem molds in a book this size. We'll see if they do. My guess? Re-printing the same stuff, and claw/claw/bite/breath with a minor thing or two besides, for lots of dragons....with the only real difference being the breath weapon and a few things gem dragons can do.

Steel_Wind

Legend
The details given in the lawsuit suggest that Weis/Hickman's view of the franchise and WotC's vision of it are (or were) dramatically out of step with one another.
Not really. WotC approved all of it -- until they had a PR bomb go off with hiring practices within WotC on the M:TG side, contracting with a nutbar Qanon artist, and otherwise with their racial depiction of drow within D&D. It had nothing to do with DragonLance. But by that time, they had already approved Dragons of Deceit. WotC apparently did not want to unapprove it and make further changes -- instead, they wanted to prevent it from being published for all time.

The details of the lawsuit - as well as the post-law suit announcements tell us that the trilogy of books that are to be released by Weis and Hickman will begin with Vol 1 - "Dragons of Deceit".

Some Speculation Follows Below:

If that title sounds familiar to you - that's because it is. That is also the name of the module DL-9 by Doug Niles. This module covers the story where the original Chronicles did not - and broke away from that aspect of the story for "spoiler" purposes. It deals with Gilthanas and Silvara's convincing of the good dragons to join the war, recover their dragon eggs et al. from the Queen of Darkness's forces.

Together with the press release which confirms the subject matter and characters of the new novels are the original characters, it is plain and obvious that the subject matter of the trilogy is the War of the Lance and that the forthcoming trilogy will be the Second Lost Chronicles, to be published by Del-Rey. That isn't really speculation. That looks balls on accurate to me.

The speculative part now follows:

Dragons of Fate is the second book planned in the trilogy. There are no details about that other than the title, but when combined with the publication order of Dragons of Deceit as Vol 1, we can expect Vol 2 and Vol 3 will be later in the tale -- but before the end of Dragons of Spring. So we can sort that out easily enough. Look at what parts of the story of the initial War of the Lance campaign in the modules are left to tell in novel form. That suggests that Vol 2 and 3 will be a further novelization of DL12/ 13 and part of 14. They already re-visited parts of that in the Dragons of the Highlord's Skies and Dragons of the Hourglass Mage (vol 2 and 3 in the First Lost Chronicles). This time, they'll go back to the main characters (as they have told us they will in their press release).

The part I find remarkable on this is that WotC decided that the content of these novels was so harmful to their reputation that they would rather they never, ever came out. The only thing I can think of which would merit drowning of the DragonLance baby in the bathtub for negative PR has to be the ongoing inclusion of Goldmoon and Riverwind in Dragons of Deceit's approved storyline. I can't think of anything else which would have caused them to want to otherwise pump the brakes on the whole thing.

It's weird. There is absolutely nothing inherently offensive about Goldmoon and Riverwind. News Flash: it turns out, the tribes of Germania provide a thousand years+ of real world precedent for barbarians -- yes, blonde and blue-eyed hotties, too. Indeed, they ARE the real world analog precedent for almost all "barbarians" in FRPGs. The only time they aren't is where that definition is broadened here and there to sweep up other European groups into it, too.

The problem with Goldmoon and Riverwind was not that barbarians were white, or that she was blonde haired and blue-eyed; rather, it was that their garb was artistically represented to draw heavily upon the traditional garb and ornamentation of "American Indians", the First Nations of the central plains. That's not really anywhere in the novels themselves or even in the modules. That's Larry Elmore doing that. In traditional leathers and furs, Goldmoon is just a Germanic barbarian. But with her beads and feathers, she became the Archetype for cultural appropriation and the white-washing of aboriginal culture.

The solution is not to write Goldmoon out of history, but to deliberately change her clothing so that she looks like the Germanic barbarian she clearly was -- and skip the Faux-aboriginal clothing style. How hard can that be? You do so overtly and with a loud and public apology. The End.

So, I don't get it. I guess WotC decided there wasn't really enough money left to make on DragonLance. At least, not enough to be worth the negative PR. If they thought there was, they'd publish the books themselves. Instead, they licensed out the novels to W&H to flog on their own at Del-Rey.

Last edited:

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
Honestly, I'm wondering: how are they going to get a whole book out of just dragons? Playable dragon rules, a dragon-themed bestiary, and ... what else? It doesn't seem like you could fill up a whole book with just that. Random hoard tables, maybe?

Honestly, I'm wondering: how are they going to get a whole book out of just dragons? Playable dragon rules, a dragon-themed bestiary, and ... what else? It doesn't seem like you could fill up a whole book with just that. Random hoard tables, maybe?
Dragon customization I would bet on. Unique traits for each type of Dragon to help differentiate them.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
The more I think about it, the more I think Fizban's including a bunch of settings, with maybe 20 pages on Krynn might be the way to go. Republish the setting in 5E in that sense, see if demand increases -- meaning it's not the same people who were asking for it two years ago -- and make decisions after that.
I expect Fizban's Treasury to have a similar amount of Dragonlance material as Mordenkainen's had Greyhaek material, or Volo's had Forgotten Realms material: possibly a couple of sentences.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
So, I don't get it. I guess WotC decided there wasn't really enough money left to make on DragonLance. At least, not enough to be worth the negative PR. If they thought there was, they'd publish the books themselves. Instead, they licensed out the novels to W&H to flog on their own at Del-Rey.
WotC doesn't publish any novels, they are all licenses where the publisher pays WotC for the privilege. HarperCollins pays WotC for the rights to Drizz't and puts up all of the money for Salvatore to make a book. WotC only makes games themselves.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
They've done it in 2E, 3E, and twice in 4E. Given the massive amount of argon material TSR and WotC have put out, the issue isn't "how to fill a book" but "what do we leave out, we only have 320 pages?"

Remove ads

Remove ads