• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E The October D&D Book is Fizban’s Treasury of Dragons

As revealed by Nerd Immersion by deciphering computer code from D&D Beyond! Which makes my guess earlier this year spot on! UPDATE -- the book now has a description! https://www.enworld.org/threads/fizbans-treasury-the-dragon-book-now-has-a-description.681399/ https://www.enworld.org/threads/my-guess-for-the-other-d-d-book-this-year-draconomicon.680687/ Fizban the Fabulous by Vera...

As revealed by Nerd Immersion by deciphering computer code from D&D Beyond!

Fizban the Fabulous is, of course, the accident-prone, befuddled alter-ego of Dragonlance’s god of good dragons, Paladine, the platinum dragon (Dragonlance’s version of Bahamut).

Which makes my guess earlier this year spot on!

UPDATE -- the book now has a description!

2E56D87C-A6D8-4079-A3B5-132567350A63.png

EEA82AF0-58EA-457E-B1CA-9CD5DCDF4035.jpeg

Fizban the Fabulous by Vera Gentinetta

hopeless

Adventurer
Yeah, I'm not sure "this was a big selling novel 40 years ago" is a compelling argument.

No one's saying we need to make movies of James Michener's "The Covenant," James Clavell's "Noble House" or Jonathan Irving's "Hotel New Hampshire" in the 21st century, despite each being NYT best sellers the same time period ago.

At a certain point, even an omnipresent cultural icon is no longer relevant. It's hard to overstate how dominant Michener, Clavell and Irving were, once upon a time. Millennials and Generation Z would find them unreasonably hard trivia answers nowadays, and even many Generation X folks would struggle with them.

The more I think about it, the more I think Fizban's including a bunch of settings, with maybe 20 pages on Krynn might be the way to go. Republish the setting in 5E in that sense, see if demand increases -- meaning it's not the same people who were asking for it two years ago -- and make decisions after that.
Maybe something like the Yawning Portal, but includes a number of classic settings for people to enjoy and adapt how they will?

You could have Nentil Vale, Mystara, Greyhawk, etc given a brief outline on the setting allowing the buyer to adapt how and what they will to make their own version of that setting.

Thus the Known Worlds supplements will come in handy to supplement the 5e briefing on the Mystara setting for instance.

That kind of book might be possible?

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Maybe something like the Yawning Portal, but includes a number of classic settings for people to enjoy and adapt how they will?

You could have Nentil Vale, Mystara, Greyhawk, etc given a brief outline on the setting allowing the buyer to adapt how and what they will to make their own version of that setting.

Thus the Known Worlds supplements will come in handy to supplement the 5e briefing on the Mystara setting for instance.

That kind of book might be possible?
I think that kind of book would need a hook other than "here's a big book of settings." That's why I thought grouping together dragon-based settings makes sense.

But since WotC didn't even give Innistrad a page in Van Richten's, they probably disagree with both of us.

dave2008

Legend
I'm sure this has even less possibility of happening than catastrophic dragons making a return, but I liked the 4E lore that Bahamut, Tiamat, and the dragonborn race are all pieces of Io. I was also a big fan of the design for Io that showed-up exactly one time:

View attachment 140515
I too like a lot about that Io design. The six legs are a nice touch, but not quite as big a fan of the nose frill.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
So, here's some high-octane looking ahead speculation;

• 2016: Volo's Guide to Monsters released
  • 2017: Volo appears as an NPC with the magical item "Volo's Guide to Monsters" in Tomb of Annihilation"

• 2017: Xanathar's Guide to Everything is released
  • 2018: Xanathar appears in Waterdeep: Dragon Heist (so does Volo, for that matter)

• 2018: Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes is released
  • 2019: Mordenkainen shoes up as an NPC in Avernus

No "named Guide in 2019

• 2020: Tasha's Cauldron of Everything is released, where Tasha's reign as a "Witch Queen" with fey servitors is depicted.
  • 2021: a "Witch Queen" is set to be a major part of Witchlight, based on some leaked elements, perhaps Tasha?

• 2021: Fizban's Treasury of Dragons releases
  • 2022: Fizban appears in a Curse of Strahd style reboot of the War of the Lance adventures?

Remove ads

Remove ads