D&D 5E The October D&D Book is Fizban’s Treasury of Dragons

As revealed by Nerd Immersion by deciphering computer code from D&D Beyond! Which makes my guess earlier this year spot on! UPDATE -- the book now has a description! https://www.enworld.org/threads/fizbans-treasury-the-dragon-book-now-has-a-description.681399/ https://www.enworld.org/threads/my-guess-for-the-other-d-d-book-this-year-draconomicon.680687/ Fizban the Fabulous by Vera...

As revealed by Nerd Immersion by deciphering computer code from D&D Beyond!

Fizban the Fabulous is, of course, the accident-prone, befuddled alter-ego of Dragonlance’s god of good dragons, Paladine, the platinum dragon (Dragonlance’s version of Bahamut).

Which makes my guess earlier this year spot on!

UPDATE -- the book now has a description!

2E56D87C-A6D8-4079-A3B5-132567350A63.png

EEA82AF0-58EA-457E-B1CA-9CD5DCDF4035.jpeg

Fizban the Fabulous by Vera Gentinetta

Parmandur

Book-Friend
If the level range from the back cover is actually correct at 1-8, I wonder if this adventure will actually get the two-part treatment, like Tyranny of Dragons, and have a part two announced this weekend that will be for levels 8-12 or 8-15?
Doubtful, given that we are already at 5 hardcovers, and there is no timeslot for a sixth to be discussed.

I think it's more likely that they just wanted a product focused on the generally played levels in great detail.

Doubtful, given that we are already at 5 hardcovers, and there is no timeslot for a sixth to be discussed.

I think it's more likely that they just wanted a product focused on the generally played levels in great detail.
Or that the text wasn't finalized, which is why the full image was pulled.

I agree with most of what you said here, but the idea that Dark Sun has more “ick factor” than dragonlance speaks to a fundamental misunderstanding of what “problematic elements” WotC is trying to avoid these days. The fact that slavery exists in Athas does not make it too problematic to touch - in fact, so long as slavery is presented as an injustice for heroes to fight against, it’s not problematic at all. There are some elements of Dark Sun that WotC might want to soften, but this is absolutely not one of them. On the other hand, Dragon Lance has stuff like gully dwarves which are very much the kind of thing WotC wants to move away from, and I imagine they would likely shy away from the mormon allegory as well.
It would be easy to remove gully dwarves, kender and similar problematic elements from Dragonlance
Effortless

Removing slavery from Dark Sun is a little harder

Does it make any more "fundamental use" of slavery than pulp games make of all the atrocities that the Nazis were involved in?
WizCo doesn't currently publish any pulp games or use Nazis
If the slavers are bad guys, how is that a deal breaker? (And if the "good guys" are slavers, that sounds like an argument to overthrow them or make them villains.)
Two reasons
The first is it's easy for DMs to make you work for the slavers. Sometimes you need to do quests for the people in charge, which would be the Sorcerer-Kings. Not every campaign can be set in Tyr

The second is it's problematic to have white people playing tragedy tourist and being escape slaves or former slaves. Using the pain of real people for the tragic backstory
It's like having rape or holocaust survival in your character's backstory. Not everyone will like that

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
"Once every eight years, the fantastic Witchlight Carnival touches down on your world, bringing joy to one settlement after the next. It's owners, Mister Witch and Mister Light, know how to put on a good show. But there's more to this magical extravaganza than meets the eye!"

"The carnival is a gateway to a fantastic Feywild domain unlike anything found on the Material Plane. Time has not been kind to this realm, however, and dark days lie ahead unless someone can thwart the dastardly schemes of the Hourglass Coven."

"The Wild Beyond the Witchlight takes adventurers from the Witchlight Carnival to Prismeer, a Feywild domain of delight. This book comes with a poster map that shows the carnival on one side and Prismeer on the other."

For level 1-8. There is some sort of Hag Bandito gang that are harrowing some sort of Fey realm. It is notable that Ellywick Tumblestrum was introduced as a "guest of the Witch Queen" in one of those cosplay videos, and WotC said she would be showing up in D&D products in the future as well.

Man, the Hourglass Coven is such a good name. It's hard to imagine either Tasha or Baba Yaga in a coven though, I doubt either are much into sharing.

But again, removing slavery from Dark Sun isn’t something they have any reason to want to do.
Every single conversation online about Dark Sun eventually descends into a conversation about the portrayal of slavery and forced breeding
Why would WizCo want to bring that up and make that the focus of every single news article discussing their forthcoming product? That's begging for negative press

Remove ads

Remove ads