D&D 5E The October D&D Book is Fizban’s Treasury of Dragons

As revealed by Nerd Immersion by deciphering computer code from D&D Beyond! Which makes my guess earlier this year spot on! UPDATE -- the book now has a description! https://www.enworld.org/threads/fizbans-treasury-the-dragon-book-now-has-a-description.681399/ https://www.enworld.org/threads/my-guess-for-the-other-d-d-book-this-year-draconomicon.680687/ Fizban the Fabulous by Vera...

As revealed by Nerd Immersion by deciphering computer code from D&D Beyond!

Fizban the Fabulous is, of course, the accident-prone, befuddled alter-ego of Dragonlance’s god of good dragons, Paladine, the platinum dragon (Dragonlance’s version of Bahamut).

Which makes my guess earlier this year spot on!

UPDATE -- the book now has a description!

2E56D87C-A6D8-4079-A3B5-132567350A63.png

EEA82AF0-58EA-457E-B1CA-9CD5DCDF4035.jpeg

Fizban the Fabulous by Vera Gentinetta

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
Well looks like we now know where the Dragon subclass UA and Dragonborn/Kobolds will be.

Also this is probably where we finally get the Gem Dragons now like the Sapphire Gem Dragon.
I crave dragon born lore.
Yes. I ran Dragon of Icespire Peak for a group of newish players last spring, and they were thrilled to be having their first dragon combat.

I can't remember the last 5E book announcement that was actually greeted with excitement and interest by the denizens of this board.

Catastrophic dragons? Do tell.
imaging a living firestorm forced into the shape of a dragon closer to elemental than flesh and blood most of them are crazy/destructive.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I'm sure they'll update Fizban to be less "senile wizard played for laughs as a cover," because that doesn't exactly look good today. I imagine the tone will be somewhere between Mordenkainen's pompousness and Tasha's sense of humor. He needs something other than Yet-Another-Not-Gandalf as an identity.
A trickster wizard-dragon is a pretty good place to start. Heck, they could just lean into the shapechanging stuff that Bahamut has had since the 1E MM to differentiate him.

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
Catastrophic dragons? Do tell.

1626292348879.png

Catastrophic Dragons split from the more common Chromatic Dragon and Metallic Dragon families during the Dawn War. The most common story recounts that, after Io was slain by Erek-Hus, a significant band of dragons was so shaken up by the death of their divine creator, and so contemptuous of both Tiamat and Bahamut as lackluster pretenders to his throne, that they decided that the Primordials were going to win the Dawn War. So, they approached different Primordials and offered them service - not being idiots, the lords of the Elemental Chaos eagerly embraced them, transforming them into entities that were not quite dragon, not quite elemental, but something greater than both.

Urriak Uruk

Part of the issue is that this version of the cover is washed out. I assume, once it's got the proper saturation and more detail, it'll be more of a grabber.
It's got two Dragons engaged in a dynamic face-off. I like the positioning, and the implied motion. Seems decent. Not the best, but it sends the message "this is about Dragons." Would've maybe preferred something a bit more over the top.

The more crisp one (in the video) is definitely better, but I still find this cover decidley less evocative than the other monster books covers, Volo's and Mordenkainen's. Both were great call outs to the material inside while also feeling very unique... this feels like a piece I've seen a dozen times.

I think it’s the colors - too much red and white, making the dragons blend into the surroundings and making the whole thing a bit bland. If they had been fighting against a night sky or a blue sky or a background that either used complimentary colors instead of shades of the dragon’s primary colors, it would have looked far more dramatic and alive.
Honestly of all the gem dragons to pick, a crystal dragon would be the most drab choice to put on a cover. A deep green emerald dragon or a purple amethyst dragon would have contrasted nicely...

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
The more crisp one (in the video) is definitely better, but I still find this cover decidley less evocative than the other monster books covers, Volo's and Mordenkainen's. Both were great call outs to the material inside while also feeling very unique... this feels like a piece I've seen a dozen times.
needs to go way crazier.

Urriak Uruk

Honestly of all the gem dragons to pick, a crystal dragon would be the most drab choice to put on a cover. A deep green emerald dragon or a purple amethyst dragon would have contrasted nicely...

At first I just thought it was a white dragon, that's how muted it is...

Remove ads

Remove ads