D&D 5E The October D&D Book is Fizban’s Treasury of Dragons

As revealed by Nerd Immersion by deciphering computer code from D&D Beyond!

Fizban the Fabulous is, of course, the accident-prone, befuddled alter-ego of Dragonlance’s god of good dragons, Paladine, the platinum dragon (Dragonlance’s version of Bahamut).

Which makes my guess earlier this year spot on!

UPDATE -- the book now has a description!

2E56D87C-A6D8-4079-A3B5-132567350A63.png

EEA82AF0-58EA-457E-B1CA-9CD5DCDF4035.jpeg

Fizban the Fabulous by Vera Gentinetta

Last edited:

Edit: Sorry; didn't see the mod note.

No clue what you wrote, as I did not see it pre-edit, but yeah, I was trying to steer the conversation away from that topic, but I guess too many others pushed the envelope enough for a reminder to be needed.

So, dragons and free will and normal reproduction and alignment. Will this new book say more, or differently, how Dragonborn and Draconians come into being? Are they only created by a dragon or can a male and female of the species make children without help?

I think I mentioned here I got the sapphire dragon mini today. I intend to use it as the secret force behind an unusually aggressive group of deep gnomes that typically presents itself via an animated statue posing as an aspect of Sunnis, Princess of Elemental Earth, before revealing its true form.

Its a gorgeous mini and I look forward to seeing the other dragons in this book getting minis if they do, especially Purple Dragons and if its in the book, Steel Dragons, along with Song Dragons they are my favourite Dragon types.

No clue what you wrote, as I did not see it pre-edit, but yeah, I was trying to steer the conversation away from that topic, but I guess too many others pushed the envelope enough for a reminder to be needed.

So, dragons and free will and normal reproduction and alignment. Will this new book say more, or differently, how Dragonborn and Draconians come into being? Are they only created by a dragon or can a male and female of the species make children without help?

I too focused on Dragon, the actual subject matter of the book.

I hope their is a Dragon Ghost Template.

RoughCoronet0

Dragon Lover
Hollowed Dragons were a template in 4e for undead constructs of Metallic Dragons created by elemental magic that act as guardians to holy sites, ancient artifact, and massive hoards of treasure.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus

That has already kind of been answered in the PHB. It says that Dragonborn originally came from dragon eggs, which heavily implies that they are reproducing on their own now.

Faolyn

(she/her)

Well, IMO, dragons are mortal creatures with as much free will as humans have, and so shouldn't be constrained by alignments. Ditto for giants, monstrosities, plants, and beasts, at least those that are intelligent enough to be able to consider morality. Other creature types are too alien to be truly understood with conventional morality, are effectively programmed, or are made out of or have been altered by pure good/evil/law/chaos. So "alignment" changes may happen, but are rare.

In another, more interesting topic: I think it would be really cool if dragonborn were literally born from dragons, like some dragon eggs produced wyrmlings, but in other eggs the embryos split and turned into a dragonborn twins or quadruplets (with the idea that wyrmlings are Medium but baby dragonborn are probably Tiny, so more can fit in an egg). But I doubt they'll use that.

Maybe they'll continue to make draconians out of corrupted eggs, but it wouldn't surprise me if they got rid of that or changed it. Guard drakes, for instance, are made out of dragon scales--which I personally think is silly, because there's no reason why they can't just be like wyverns or hydras and reproduce normally. They might go with the idea that dragons lay unfertilized eggs which are used to create draconians, and that you can make them out of any type of egg (so you can use chromatic or gemstone eggs as well as metallic eggs).

Or they might just make draconians a reskin of dragonborn (with or without the death effect) and just say they're self-reproducing.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Well, IMO, dragons are mortal creatures with as much free will as humans have, and so shouldn't be constrained by alignments. Ditto for giants, monstrosities, plants, and beasts, at least those that are intelligent enough to be able to consider morality. Other creature types are too alien to be truly understood with conventional morality, are effectively programmed, or are made out of or have been altered by pure good/evil/law/chaos. So "alignment" changes may happen, but are rare.

In another, more interesting topic: I think it would be really cool if dragonborn were literally born from dragons, like some dragon eggs produced wyrmlings, but in other eggs the embryos split and turned into a dragonborn twins or quadruplets (with the idea that wyrmlings are Medium but baby dragonborn are probably Tiny, so more can fit in an egg). But I doubt they'll use that.

Maybe they'll continue to make draconians out of corrupted eggs, but it wouldn't surprise me if they got rid of that or changed it. Guard drakes, for instance, are made out of dragon scales--which I personally think is silly, because there's no reason why they can't just be like wyverns or hydras and reproduce normally. They might go with the idea that dragons lay unfertilized eggs which are used to create draconians, and that you can make them out of any type of egg (so you can use chromatic or gemstone eggs as well as metallic eggs).

Or they might just make draconians a reskin of dragonborn (with or without the death effect) and just say they're self-reproducing.
The death effect is the most mechanically interesting part of the species. Without, they're not draconians.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases