The Odyssey System -- Stripped-down Hot Rod d20 rules

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
Upon further thought this sounds right up my alley, as I happen to be a big fan of Victorian Era roleplaying and it might be used as an alternate way of doing Masque of the Red Death. :cool:

VirtualWizard

Explorer
I think it would be better not to add any additional attributes to the core 6. Wisdom works just fine for Perception based tasks. Characters that want to focus on Perception should take it as a skill just like they do in SWSE.

SirKerry

Explorer
VirtualWizard said:
I think it would be better not to add any additional attributes to the core 6. Wisdom works just fine for Perception based tasks. Characters that want to focus on Perception should take it as a skill just like they do in SWSE.

Whereas, I think adding Preception as a attribute makes a huge amount of sense.

Besides, it's not like D&D (or AD&D to be more precise) hasn't had 7 attributes before (re: Comeliness). :)

Kerry

SirKerry

Explorer
GMSkarka said:
Keep in mind, that unlike any of the other systems mentioned, we'll be releasing Odyssey as a free SRD. Not just making it Open Content, but making the core system free.

Great news. What about allowing other publishers to produce materials using system, a license system like M&M Superlink would be tops.

Kerry

SirKerry

Explorer
GMSkarka said:
[*]Stripped-down skill list, plus Training: Similar to SWSE -- no skill points. Everyone has a default in all skills, but "trained skills" (from Occupation or Talents) give you a bonus (based on character level).

While I don't like this, it's not a show stopper for me by any means.

GMSkarka said:
So, that's a start. Let's hear what you'd like to see.

What I would really like to see is an effects-based power system for modelling magical abilities, spells, superpowers, etc along the lines of Mutants & Mastermind's Ultimate Power (it doesn't need to scale to the high-end superpower levels, but up to the low-end would be nice).

Kery

Walt C

Explorer
SirKerry said:
Besides, it's not like D&D (or AD&D to be more precise) hasn't had 7 attributes before (re: Comeliness). :)

Kerry
IIRC, AD&D 2.5 (the "Options" series) actually had 12 ability scores. (I know, they were really the classic six divided in two, but still...good munchkin times to be had! :))

Walt

SirKerry

Explorer
Walt C said:
IIRC, AD&D 2.5 (the "Options" series) actually had 12 ability scores. (I know, they were really the classic six divided in two, but still...good munchkin times to be had! :))

Huh, I wasn't aware of that. Never bothered to play or even buy any of the AD&D 2nd edition stuff.

Kerry

TonyTempest

First Post
I don't like SWSE's skill system. You mentioned Spycraft 2.0... I really like that consolodated skill set... makes it much easier, but still allows customization. In fact, I use that skill set in my current game which is Thrilling Tales/Mars (both from some company called Adam... something). I would love to see a consolidated skill set, but don't like the Binary On/off of SWSE.

I do like the Perception ability. That would simplify all those skills. Feats and flaws(touchy subject, I'm sure) might make someone better at Searching or Listening than something else.

I also am not a fan of death spirals, which condition tracks seem to perpetuate. I really was excited about the Toughness save in M&M, but in play, one punch at the beginning of the fight and the main character was useless from then on out. Hit points get a lot of grief about not being realistic, but especially in a Pulp game like Thrilling Tales, I like the John McClain/Die Hard model... keep fighting at peak level even though you've lost twice as many pints of blood as the human body actually carries. However, I can see your point when I look at Indiana Jones, esp. fighting that big Nazi in Raiders beneath the plane. He was reeling, and uneffective til fate helped him out with the plane rotor.

It doesn't matter.... I'll be buying this Thrilling Tales 2.0 anyway (as long as there is a print version available)... and I'm interested in stripped down faster engines with the familiarity of D20 . So far True20 hasn't been that.... maybe Odyssey will!

david

Last edited:

A few different points:

Skills.
*sigh* You're going to have 2 groups here. The first screams if you consolidate it, and thinks that SWSE is killing puppies because of how it deals with skills. The second will moan and complain about how you're going for a stripped down system, but chose to include the clunky skill system, and how you should consolidate it.

And cue a bunch of other people to argue about the "logical" way to consolidate them.

You're not going to win on this, and it'll be a deal-breaker for a group of people. What might be workable is to provide options for both. Decide whichever is going to be the default, and then put in a sidebar for the other people.

I vote for the consolidated skills by the way. I think 8 years of the d20 skill system is long enough to allow for the condensed skills to flex their legs a bit. It's condensed d20, let's condense that bad-boy.

Easy foe generation.
I went ahead and bought Foe Factory modern, even though I'm running a fantasy game. I don't feel like waiting for some time in the future, but want to use it now. I'll do the legwork on my own to use it for creatures, but having some additional creature examples would be helpful. No, you don't have to toss in owlbears, but at least a few animals or something. Lions, giant boa constrictors, scarab beetles that strip the living flesh from you, or any of the other non-human antagonists. Heck, maybe even a mutated Gorilla or something.

True20 vs standalone.
Blue Rose seemed pretty interesting to me, and so did Mutants & Masterminds 1E. True20? Not really interested. It doesn't seem that stripped down to me. Sure it trimmed some stuff, but it's not like it's suddenly into rules-light territory.

What I'd like to see.
Compatibility. People already have money invested in their products, and while a simpler version of d20 would appeal to some folks, people aren't really going to be wild with the idea of not being able to use their favorite whatever, or having to jump through all sorts of hoops in order to do so. Show what a typical character build would look like using the default d20 rules, and then show what you toss or fold into something else to arrive at the same character using the new system. A couple of different examples like that showing a couple of different types of characters, and I'd be much more likely to get the product.

Remove ads