• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Official Welcome Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glad you got the jist - Augsburg, 3 years January 1990 - December 1992.
I must admit that when I was there, it was a tough time to be an American Soldier.
the wall had just fallen and most of the Southern Germans wanted us gone, right then, please leave now and don't come back...ever. (of course this is a generalist view as there were some exceptions)

But I had some really good times there -
I got to help with the clean-up of the Black Forest after the horrific wind storms of 1990 - "Der schnitzel man comt!" :)
Octoberfest was great (I got to go in '92) - where else can you sit with 40,000 other people in a two-story tent?
And the German-American fests were the only time that the entire community could agree on anything in Augsburg - I guess beir and bratwurst is what really makes the world go 'round.
Of course there were a few places that I will never forget either - there was this little Konditteri (sp) that sold these awesome kipferell (shortbread cookies with raspberry jam and powdered sugar) - [Homer Simpson] aaawwlllgghhhhgggggg [/Homer Simpson] off the Keonigsplatz.
The Christkindel Markt was always fun - but I still don't get the whole Gluvine (sp?) thing. (bleech)
And the musical, Roman and general history of Augsburg was - I'm really at a loss to say anything. Europe has history, real, honest to goodness history, Maybe in a few years America will too, but with the exception of the Civil War and the Revolution, most of what we have is pretty bland.
The weather however left a bunch to be desired - I like the sun, Southern German doesn;t get a lot of that. :( (During the first February it actually rained for 14 days straight - we had to barricade and bail our day room because the first floor flooded.)

I had a lot of good times and a lot of bad times - I wish it would have been a little different, but I hold no ill will to the Germans that tried to help me. It is what you make it and though I tried, I'm sure I could have done better. Of course my German is 'kaput' and that doesn't help. I remember trying to figure out what to say when you sneezed in German - I was a bit embarrassed to take three minutes to remember 'Gueshundeit'. :heh:

Nelly

First Post
Thunderfoot said:
Glad you got the jist - Augsburg, 3 years January 1990 - December 1992.
I must admit that when I was there, it was a tough time to be an American Soldier.
the wall had just fallen and most of the Southern Germans wanted us gone, right then, please leave now and don't come back...ever. (of course this is a generalist view as there were some exceptions)

Yes I know what you are talking about. No difference today but there are Germans that care and want to make a difference themselves :)
I'm grown up right next to Coleman, if you happen to know that. So I always had to do with lots and lots of Army folks I am just grown up and used to it. Now in my new town I have the British, Dutch and Germans itself :)

I just can't live without the Army, I guess that's the reason I'm involved with the Angels LOL

But I had some really good times there -
I got to help with the clean-up of the Black Forest after the horrific wind storms of 1990 - "Der schnitzel man comt!" :)
Octoberfest was great (I got to go in '92) - where else can you sit with 40,000 other people in a two-story tent?
And the German-American fests were the only time that the entire community could agree on anything in Augsburg - I guess beir and bratwurst is what really makes the world go 'round.

Yup Bratwurst and Beer, it's the essence of live and it makes the world round and round and round and round. :heh:

Serriously we still have damages from that storm. It was the most horrible storm Germany has ever seen, and we still can see it's damages in the woods.

Of course there were a few places that I will never forget either - there was this little Konditteri (sp) that sold these awesome kipferell (shortbread cookies with raspberry jam and powdered sugar) - [Homer Simpson] aaawwlllgghhhhgggggg [/Homer Simpson] off the Keonigsplatz.
Those little Konditories are the best, aren't they? MMmmm sounds like you are talking about Berliner. Are they round like little balls, soft and inside the jam outside the white powdersugar?

The Christkindel Markt was always fun - but I still don't get the whole Gluvine (sp?) thing. (bleech)

Ahahaha they are famous, yep they are. Jeeez I have tons of stories from my Soldiers that went there... some loved Gluehwein, others hated it :D

And the musical, Roman and general history of Augsburg was - I'm really at a loss to say anything. Europe has history, real, honest to goodness history, Maybe in a few years America will too, but with the exception of the Civil War and the Revolution, most of what we have is pretty bland.

We do have a long history, yet you guys are a part of that History, and you'll always be a part of our history, no matter what happens. You guys have more history than you might think :)

The weather however left a bunch to be desired - I like the sun, Southern German doesn;t get a lot of that. :( (During the first February it actually rained for 14 days straight - we had to barricade and bail our day room because the first floor flooded.)

Uhu.. have you ever been to the northern part of Germany? We have rain, rain, rain and more rain. No summer and I love the sun too...

Damn, you had to barricade the day room? Was it that bad? I can't remember that.. basically I can't remember a lot of things that happened around that time...

I had a lot of good times and a lot of bad times - I wish it would have been a little different, but I hold no ill will to the Germans that tried to help me. It is what you make it and though I tried, I'm sure I could have done better. Of course my German is 'kaput' and that doesn't help. I remember trying to figure out what to say when you sneezed in German - I was a bit embarrassed to take three minutes to remember 'Gueshundeit'. :heh:

It's always like that, when I was in the States I too had good and bad times. Don't be too hard to yourself. In the end we always think we could have done something better but we shouldn't live "If.. or if not"

1990 I was 13 at that time... but I am glad you had your good times :)

Last edited:

Nelly said:

<SNIP>Those little Konditories are the best, aren't they? MMmmm sounds like you are talking about Berliner. Are they round like little balls, soft and inside the jam outside the white powdersugar? <SNIP>

Nope, flat. Two cookies, (the one on top with a hole punched through) sandwiched the jam in between - the jam was not fresh either, but left out to "set-up" a bit before it was spread so that it held it all together like glue. Man, I'm getting hungry just thinking about them.

Oeryk

First Post
The moon has waxed and waned...

...many times since I last visited. My, how the site has grown. I see rumblings of D&D 4E. Wow. Last time I was here, we were discussing the newly released 3E. Time flies.

Anyhoo...

Greetings and well met, adventurers!

I shall kick back and stay awhile.

Nelly

First Post
Thunderfoot said:
Nope, flat. Two cookies, (the one on top with a hole punched through) sandwiched the jam in between - the jam was not fresh either, but left out to "set-up" a bit before it was spread so that it held it all together like glue. Man, I'm getting hungry just thinking about them.

AH! Terassen, we called them Terassen.. mmmmh I miss them... !!! :D *sigh*...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads