D&D (2024) The One Team needs to pick some locks!

So according to this thread, the system does a bad job of depicting lockpicking. I believe this is due to the D&D team's lack of lock picking experience. To counter this, I propose that the development team spend a day learning how/practicing how to pick locks. Once they get some real world experience on the subject, I'm sure they'll develop a lockpicking system that will make everyone happy!

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
I agree. Then after that they can practice bonding with animals to make sure they can represent the Totem Barbarian's ability correctly. After that... polearm mastery!

The last thing we need is people making games on subjects they've never accomplished themselves. This is why Mutants & Masterminds is so good-- Steve Kenson's history as a superhero made him the only person capable of making a true-to-reality supers game!

aco175

Legend
I agree. Then after that they can practice bonding with animals to make sure they can represent the Totem Barbarian's ability correctly. After that... polearm mastery!

The last thing we need is people making games on subjects they've never accomplished themselves. This is why Mutants & Masterminds is so good-- Steve Kenson's history as a superhero made him the only person capable of making a true-to-reality supers game!
Bam! What this says. I always hated the posts that start with someone saying, "I do swordplay, so I know blah, blah..." I think we all get that D&D is not real life and there needs to be shortcuts to make the rules fit. We might not like all of it, but we need to understand it.

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
So according to this thread, the system does a bad job of depicting lockpicking. I believe this is due to the D&D team's lack of lock picking experience. To counter this, I propose that the development team spend a day learning how/practicing how to pick locks. Once they get some real world experience on the subject, I'm sure they'll develop a lockpicking system that will make everyone happy!
It is not that it does a bad job of lockpicking but a bad job of competence, at least without expertise and reliable talent. That is the issue is not the rules but the D20 and the variance in the die roll.

The problem is far more fundamental. It's that the gap between heroic tier proficient and non-proficient is only +2

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
I've actually picked a number of locks while on the clock. It's quite simple to pick locks with the right tools given time. The trouble with lockpicking in d&d isn't that they get the fluff wrong though, I think it's more the extreme emphasis put on thieves' tools/lockpick skill as the first last & usually only option that overvalues it in ways that cause tunnelvision.

Any locked door/object of importance is going to have another route or option from a gamist perspective even if that option is force or a different hallway. If that's not true then whatever is behind the lock is not important or is a thing the GM will need to insert differently so players can discover the key info. I don't think the 5e thieves' tools really even mentions how using them allows a party to bypass locks quietly or how they allow a party to bypass locks without leaving a trail of likely alarming things like destroyed doors in their wake.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist

Polearm mastery?

I took an instructional course on that. I was interested. Interested. More interested. Extremely interested.

....then I lost interest.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases