D&D (2024) The One Team needs to pick some locks!

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Take a deep breath and repeat after me:

The rules are, at most, a simulation of the genre and not of the real world.

A few brief words are necessary to insure that the reader has actually obtained a game form which he or she desires. Of the two approaches to hobby games today, one is best defined as the realism-simulation school and the other as the game school. AD&D is assuredly an adherent of the latter school. It does not stress any realism (in the author’s opinion an absurd effort at best considering the topic!). It does little to attempt to simulate anything either. ADVANCED DUNGEONS & DRAGONS is first and foremost a game for the fun and enjoyment of those who seek to use imagination and creativity. This is not to say that where it does not interfere with the flow of the game that the highest degree of realism hasn‘t been attempted, but neither is a serious approach to play discouraged. In all cases, however, the reader should understand that AD&D is designed to be an amusing and diverting pastime, something which can fill a few hours or consume endless days, as the participants desire, but in no case something to be taken too seriously. For fun, excitement, and captivating fantasy, AD&D is unsurpassed. As a realistic simulation of things from the realm of make-believe, or even as a reflection of medieval or ancient warfare or culture or society, it can be deemed only a dismal failure. Readers who seek the latter must search elsewhere. Those who desire to create and populate imaginary worlds with larger-than-life heroes and villains, who seek relaxation with a fascinating game, and who generally believe games should be fun, not work, will hopefully find this system to their taste.

I just wish someone who had some type of ... stature ... in the hobby had said something like this early on!

A few brief words are necessary to insure that the reader has actually obtained a game form which he or she desires. Of the two approaches to hobby games today, one is best defined as the realism-simulation school and the other as the game school. AD&D is assuredly an adherent of the latter school. It does not stress any realism (in the author’s opinion an absurd effort at best considering the topic!). It does little to attempt to simulate anything either. ADVANCED DUNGEONS & DRAGONS is first and foremost a game for the fun and enjoyment of those who seek to use imagination and creativity. This is not to say that where it does not interfere with the flow of the game that the highest degree of realism hasn‘t been attempted, but neither is a serious approach to play discouraged. In all cases, however, the reader should understand that AD&D is designed to be an amusing and diverting pastime, something which can fill a few hours or consume endless days, as the participants desire, but in no case something to be taken too seriously. For fun, excitement, and captivating fantasy, AD&D is unsurpassed. As a realistic simulation of things from the realm of make-believe, or even as a reflection of medieval or ancient warfare or culture or society, it can be deemed only a dismal failure. Readers who seek the latter must search elsewhere. Those who desire to create and populate imaginary worlds with larger-than-life heroes and villains, who seek relaxation with a fascinating game, and who generally believe games should be fun, not work, will hopefully find this system to their taste.

I just wish someone who had some type of ... stature ... in the hobby had said something like this early on!
But ignoring the printed text and using your judgement/house rules to make the game what you want has been in D&D as long as race as class and xp for gold!

Clint_L

Hero
Historical context: when Gygax wrote that he was responding to the grognards of the day, who were mostly old simulation wargamers, and who pooh-poohed D&D as a child's game once it became popular.

The moral of the story is that some folks always dislike new things.

Isn’t making a whole new thread just to point and laugh at someone else’s thread a bit dickish? Or am I the only one thinking this?
Can I help it if people decide to make funny comments in threads where I try to hash out solutions to people's problems?

I could complain or something; but I think that would be the pot calling the kettle black.

Last edited:

Olrox17

Hero
Can I help it if people decide to make funny comments in threads where I try to hash out solutions to people's problems?

I could complain or something; but I think that would be the pot calling the kettle black.
I understand that sometimes we may meet somebody whose views are so ridiculous from our perspective, that mockery seems like a natural and justified recourse, but it actually very rarely is.
And creating a specific thread for the sole purpose of grilling somebody over a perceived bad take may be a step too far. I'm no mod, and I'm not inclined to overuse the report function except in egregious cases (so I won't report anything here), but I will suggest to treat your fellow posters with a bit more kindness. Just IMO.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
It is not that it does a bad job of lockpicking but a bad job of competence, at least without expertise and reliable talent. That is the issue is not the rules but the D20 and the variance in the die roll.
The variance of the die roll is an important feature for a game of heroic action like D&D. Some of the most exciting and memorable moments in a D&D campaign are the “unlikely” successes and failures, the natural 20s and 1s that cause unexpected outcomes. The tighter the distribution of the dice results, the less likely those outliers become.

Remove ads