The opposite of OSR

Warpiglet-7

Cry havoc! And let slip the pigs of war!
Earlier than AD&D is lighter. B/X seems pretty smooth but also bare to some.

my friend and I are looking at playing BECMI with our kids. I am excited about how little fiddling there is with basic and expert.

I love 1e AD&D and 5e but feel neither are really old school at all.
I've never understood the claims about earlier D&D being "rules light". Good grief. You have to take how many steps to determine whether an attack hit or not in AD&D? Something about fifteen if you actually do the steps and don't ignore them. How in the world can a game which actually details the exact space you require to swing a sword possibly be considered "rules light"?

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
No, spells are not an extra-diegetic resources.
The diegetic-ness of spells is pretty arbitrary, though. It's just "magic is unquestionable" by habit, not by strength of explanation. Given that "magic" is just whatever the game needs it to be, and has no consistent or coherent standards to which it must adhere, claiming magic is diegetic is just saying that "what I make believe is fine is fine."

Spells are the acceptable metacurrency of D&D, with entire classes built around the concept of "I get to dictate fiction in discrete chunks," while any other arrangement of such is viewed as unacceptable and wrong and gets labeled as non-diegetic when there's ample diegetic descriptions available that have at least as much explanatory power as "but magic."

Let's be honest, there's are lots of metagame aspects (spells, hitpoints, AC) that are grandfathered in as acceptable, it's just new applications that get the sideways looks.

Marc_C

Solitary Role Playing
The diegetic-ness of spells is pretty arbitrary, though. It's just "magic is unquestionable" by habit, not by strength of explanation. Given that "magic" is just whatever the game needs it to be, and has no consistent or coherent standards to which it must adhere, claiming magic is diegetic is just saying that "what I make believe is fine is fine."

Spells are the acceptable metacurrency of D&D, with entire classes built around the concept of "I get to dictate fiction in discrete chunks," while any other arrangement of such is viewed as unacceptable and wrong and gets labeled as non-diegetic when there's ample diegetic descriptions available that have at least as much explanatory power as "but magic."

Let's be honest, there's are lots of metagame aspects (spells, hitpoints, AC) that are grandfathered in as acceptable, it's just new applications that get the sideways looks.
Predictable answer. I don't agree with you on this. Sorry I'm not doing this dance with you. Find another partner.

Remove ads