• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Paladin killed someone...what to do?

mythusmage

Banned
Banned
Additional: The paladin's action was human. Humans do things certain parties would much rather they didn't. They get angry, they lash out. They kill people in a rage. No one can strictly adhere to a code of laws, because codes of law are devised by people who let their ideology overrule their good sense.

Any legal system that disregards this will, sooner or later, fail.

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
Killing people in a rage is an evil act in a lot of cases and I doubt a LG diety is going to pay much mind to excuses why it wasn't feasable to act like a Paladin.

People who lash out today are not let off for it. There are tons of people who killed someone in such circumstances and have to suffer for it.

Numion

First Post
Kahuna Burger said:
somehow I think we are acting off of very different definitions of mercy. In this example especially, we have a situation where the evil types can and will be judged and punished appropriately. It is not "kill or let go" and defining mercy that way is a complete strawman.

If a paladin has a way to bind Orcus into the body and (lack of) powers of a fluffy kitten rather than destroying him, he should seriously consider that act of mercy. More to the point, if a lawful good civil authority is sitting right there to judge the halfling for an event which is over, turning him over to them isn't even on the mercy/no mercy scale, its the non-murderous course of action.

IMHO your argument goas straight out of the window since you'd let Paladin have Orcus be fee. But lets ignore that since I baited that answer with my ridiculous extreme (how [Naughty] of me). My real question, that isn't extreme, is that how can you demand mercy from Paladins who've subdued or are fighting evil, when:

a) Paladins Code of Conduct calls for punishing evildoers, and is silent on mercy

b) PHB alignment section describes Alhandra as a Paladin who fights evil without mercy

Going by your suggestion and showing mercy to murdering scum would actually be a breach of the Paladins Code, since then you wouldn't be punishing! :confused:

howandwhy99

Adventurer
mythusmage said:
Additional: The paladin's action was human. Humans do things certain parties would much rather they didn't. They get angry, they lash out. They kill people in a rage. No one can strictly adhere to a code of laws, because codes of law are devised by people who let their ideology overrule their good sense.

Any legal system that disregards this will, sooner or later, fail.
Unfortunately, paladins don't follow a legal system. They are not Justiciars, they follow a divine set of laws. Like priests who must live up to a higher code, paladin's are asked to exemplify this code w/o hiding in the temple.

SRD said:
A paladin who ceases to be lawful good, who willfully commits an evil act, or who grossly violates the code of conduct loses all paladin spells and abilities (including the service of the paladin’s mount, but not weapon, armor, and shield proficiencies). She may not progress any farther in levels as a paladin. She regains her abilities and advancement potential if she atones for her violations (see the atonement spell description), as appropriate.
Just for ease of reference. A paladin CAN gain back their paladinhood, if he or she atones. LG gods often ask for perfection, but forgive with proper atonement.

SRD said:
Code of Conduct

A paladin must be of lawful good alignment and loses all class abilities if she ever willingly commits an evil act.

Additionally, a paladin’s code requires that she respect legitimate authority, act with honor (not lying, not cheating, not using poison, and so forth), help those in need (provided they do not use the help for evil or chaotic ends), and punish those who harm or threaten innocents.

Associates

While she may adventure with characters of any good or neutral alignment, a paladin will never knowingly associate with evil characters, nor will she continue an association with someone who consistently offends her moral code. A paladin may accept only henchmen, followers, or cohorts who are lawful good.

Last edited:

mythusmage

Banned
Banned
Flexor the Mighty! said:
Killing people in a rage is an evil act ...

[snip]

It is a human thing to do. It is a human thing to become enraged when harmed, and to lash out against those who harmed you. It is people who declare an act good or evil, people who quite often know nothing of the circumstances surrounding the act.

There is no 'should be'. There is no 'must be' or 'has to be'. There is only 'is'. People are as they are, people do as they do. Sometimes what they do benefits society, that is to be encouraged. Sometimes what they do harms society, that is to be discouraged. And sometimes the effect upon society is not that clear.

And sometimes the righteous thing is the wrong thing.

howandwhy99

Adventurer
mythusmage said:
*snip*
There is no 'should be'. There is no 'must be' or 'has to be'. There is only 'is'. People are as they are, people do as they do. Sometimes what they do benefits society, that is to be encouraged. Sometimes what they do harms society, that is to be discouraged. And sometimes the effect upon society is not that clear.

And sometimes the righteous thing is the wrong thing.
If this is really what you believe, I wouldn't play a paladin. I've never heard of a paladin that does not believe in Good. Much less do away with good and evil as descriptors.

ForceUser

Explorer
mythusmage said:
It is a human thing to do. It is a human thing to become enraged when harmed, and to lash out against those who harmed you.
Except that paladins are held to a higher standard. They are proxies of their gods on earth and exemplars of righteousness. Killing in a rage--what in modern terms is called "manslaughter"--is not an act of virtue.

tonym

First Post
Arravis said:
Why is the slaughter of the halfling the only means to protect his family?

What you call "slaughter of the halfling" I call "handling problem #1 before moving on to problem #2." The paladin is in a hurry here, remember. His wife is in
danger.

Arravis said:
...That's what jails are for.

"That's what jails are for"? Hey, death is a jail. In a world of resurrection, death is not the huge, tragic, cry-in-your-hanky deal so many posters on this thread think it is. Death is only a temporary condition. It's like stun, only longer lasting and with a bigger pool of blood in the dirt.

By killing the halfling, the paladin is making him less of a threat and reducing his chance of escape--that's it. It isn't like the paladin is destroying his soul with magic soul-destroying eyebeams.

Tony M

Kahuna Burger

First Post
Numion said:
IMHO your argument goas straight out of the window since you'd let Paladin have Orcus be fee.
and by claiming you can throw my argument out the window based on it not agreeing with your conclusion you have seriously limited my interest in yours. very symetrical.

Remove ads