Pathfinder 2E The PF2 Alchemist - how did it turn out?

Fanaelialae

Legend
Alchemists have a level 18 feat that allows them to make some actual magical potions as alchemical items too, but that comes a bit late in the game, and might be a bit limited.

The really interesting part to me is that IIRC, those potions are considered to be alchemical when created with that feat. Meaning they aren't magical. As such, you could quaff an alchemical potion of flying and soar around in an anti/dead-magic zone. Which is kind of weird to think about, but also really awesome, and potentially a huge tactical advantage.

CapnZapp

Legend
I wonder if the Alchemist can brew poisons for everybody or just him/herself.

Playing an archer would be significantly more interesting if you can get the (often significant) boosts of poison.

gargoyleking

Adventurer
They can hand out their creations all they like. But anything made using their quick alchemy has an extremely limited efficacy. (Start of their next turn.)

CapnZapp

Legend
They can hand out their creations all they like. But anything made using their quick alchemy has an extremely limited efficacy. (Start of their next turn.)
Yeah, okay, that doesn't surprise me.

Do they have any capacity for making poisons during downtime; stuff that anyone can handle without special skill requirements, stuff that lasts at least several days?

FowlJ

Explorer
Do they have any capacity for making poisons during downtime; stuff that anyone can handle without special skill requirements, stuff that lasts at least several days?

Yes. Anyone can make alchemical items during with the Alchemical Crafting feat, which alchemists receive for free at 1st level. Alchemists don't do it faster or at a discount compared to other characters, but they do learn new formulae for free as they level up, while non-alchemists need to find, buy, borrow, or invent theirs.

I get that they can infuse their alchemical reagents for free, but what about jars? Does an alchemist need to stock up on jars in every village they come across? Or am I throwing hollowed-out coconuts at people?

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
I get that they can infuse their alchemical reagents for free, but what about jars? Does an alchemist need to stock up on jars in every village they come across? Or am I throwing hollowed-out coconuts at people?

jars, gourds, wrapped paper bundles, hollow bamboo, hollow eggs, chocolate sauce (re: princess bride) ....

but in all honesty, I think that is just left vague for the most part.

jars, gourds, wrapped paper bundles, hollow bamboo, hollow eggs, chocolate sauce (re: princess bride) ....

but in all honesty, I think that is just left vague for the most part.
It's unfortunate. This class is a major aspect of the brand identity which separates them from their competitors, and yet they completely gloss over how it's supposed to make sense in their world.

Aldarc

Legend
That's probably the one part of the Alchemist that's best left not over-thought about. One person in my old gaming group disliked the concept of Alchemists precisely because of the whole carrying around infinite glass containers thing.

Remove ads