The Power of Surprise: How my 7th level party took out a 40k xp challenge without a sweat

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
You don't check for each githyanki. Each PC rolls Stealth; unless the githyanki are using an action to search, they must rely on passive Perception. So if each PC is able to beat the highest passive Perception among the githyanki, the entire raiding party is surprised.

Yes, but I would have at least some of the githyanki making active checks. I would think elite, ageless warriors, would be looking for threats as they land. But sometimes its nice to let a party's carefully-planned ambush just succeed. I'm not saying the DM ran it wrong, I'm just pointing out there are ways to make it more challenging, which is something the OP seemed to have wanted.

Hjorimir

Adventurer
Yes, I'm sure we could all make an argument that would have led to a more difficult encounter, but I think it's perfectly fine that it played out this way. Perhaps the githyanki were arrogant - and who could blame them - as they were cruising around the astral sea. But we're talking a new game here after the ambush. Githyanki are an ancient and powerful race well practiced in the art of war. Maybe they stoke up that old alliance with the red dragons and start flying around on those. I hear dragons have a much better passive perception.

D

dco

Surprise and initiative means 2 rounds of attacks before someone touches you and combats normally last 2-3 rounds.
So yes, with focused fire or area attacks it should be super easy, more if the players have all their powers and life. But the same can happen to the players, most of our deaths where this way, an easy encounter, players are surprised, roll low initiative and things get dangerous.

Oofta

Legend
Glad your group had fun, it's always good to throw this kind of thing now and then. That, and sometimes encounters are easier/harder than expected.

However I would find it boring as a player if it happened on a regular basis. Let's look at how the combat was stacked against team monster
  • Auto surprise with foreknowledge.
  • Enemy simultaneously shows up in fireball formation
  • Multiple casters who could take advantage of the formation
  • Multiple casters winning initiative
  • Bad saving throws (or high damage rolls or both)
  • Most of the group are relatively low level monsters compared to the group making them more susceptible to the AOE spells.
  • All spellcasters going nova. PCs cast 5 of the most damaging spells for their level before team monster had an action.

Honestly with this setup, I would have been surprised if it wasn't a cakewalk. It's hardly indicative of how well the CR system works - although I have to admit I never use the horde multiplier.

Last edited:

Remove ads