The "Report This Post" Feature

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
OK, folks, I'm going to pose a little puzzler for you. A game, if you will. :)

First, please click on the "Report This Post" link at the bottom of this, or any other post. Take a look at what you see.

Now, you'll notice that there are two bits of text on that page, and a text box. What we're concentrating on here are the two bits of text.

The two bits of text share something in common. There are only two bits of text, and both of them contain a similar instruction. There's nothing else to read, just those two bits of text.

Now, having looked at those two bits of text, who can tell me the likely reaction from we moderators when we receive the following message, which reads, in its entirety:

This thread needs to be closed.
Sometimes the message we receive may have a little more detail:

This post is political.
So, having received this message, who can tell me, for 100 points, what we moderators say. ;)

Crothian

First Post
I get this from the button neat the reply button:

"Crothian, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation. "

Using the one under the name I get that e-mail doesn't finction.

haiiro

First Post
Morrus said:
So, having received this message, who can tell me, for 100 points, what we moderators say. ;)

Bupkus, I'm betting, since there's no thread URL included to tell you where to look.

I clicked on the link expecting to see what Crothian saw -- since that's what I've gotten as well for a couple of months -- but it seems to be working again. Well, working when people follow directions, apparently. ;)

Last edited:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
You're clicking on "Report this post", Cothian? Bottom right of the post? It's not a button, it's a text link.

Last edited:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
haiiro said:
Bupkus, I'm betting, since there's no thread URL included to tell you where to look.
Ta-da! You are the winner! We don't have a friggin' clue what people are talking about!

This seems to be the case with roughly half of the reported posts we get. Folks, if you're going to tell us about a bad post, please, please tell us which post it is!

It's almost as bad as the people who email me about problems with their accounts, but don't tell me who they are. When you get an email which simply says "Why can't I post?", the response tends to be "Beats me." :)

Kaleon Moonshae

When TrueNight falls
maybe those people whoa re just saying this "post is political" or "close this thread" are just being general, lol. Take your pick which one they mean, people who don't read instructions usually aren't choosy about who they cry foul on;P

fba827

Adventurer
Morrus said:
You're clicking on "Report this post", Cothian? Bottom right of the post? It's not a button, it's a text link.
The text link of "report this post" does not appear in all style sheets. The stealth style sheet for instance does not have the text link, it only has the exclaimation-point icon to the bottom left (under the poster's name) of each post. (when i use that button, i see what Crothian says he sees)

The default, and perhaps most other, style sets, however, do in fact have the "report this post" text link in the bottom right of the posts. (when i use that link, i see what morrus is describing that we should see)

Just explaining why Crothian may be seeing something different. :)

Last edited:

Crothian

First Post
Thanks, but I use the default one. I would wager its more of "I'm an idiot" then anything actaully wrong.

:heh:

Last edited:

Remove ads