D&D General The Resurrection of Mike Mearls Games.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
the upcoming Rules Wars
yoda.gif

When it comes down to how much he can capitalize upon the work he did with WotC/Hasbro in his new ventures there are three concerns: Copyright/IP concerns, contractual concerns, and quality of life concerns.

Absent the other concerns, Copyright/IP is easily maneuvered around for game mechanics. He likely is already well versed in this and has enough friends in WotC that he can avoid these issues pretty easily.

His contract with WotC might provide more of a barrier and might specifically call out things he can't do - and any severance he received may have been contingent on certain terms. You can fight these agreements in certain circumstances, but it is a pain ... and a fight.

Which brings me to the third issue: Quality of life. Fighting a corporation sucks. It isn't logical. Harrassment is often a technique. They can be big jerks ... so even if you're in the right, you can pay a higher quality of life cost by fighting them than just giving in when they're not pushing you too hard. To that end, I believe he'll want to be cautious and not risk angering WotC/Hasbro.

I wish him well. I hope that he enjoys being more free to do his own thing. However, with the upcoming Rules Wars coming as people fight between One D&D, Pathfinder, Daggerheart, Tales of the Valiant, and other contenders ... it may be hard to carve a place. Even with his name brand recognition, the split between systems will mean less money out there to support each of the systems, so whereever he hangs his hat, he'll be competing with established names that will be suffering from decreasing support as some of the people currently supporting their D&D Patreon go to others that are doing Daggerheart or Tales of the Valiant content.
I appreciate your viewpoint. We have very different viewpoints (you are very cautious) but it is cool seeing a breakdown of why you are cautious in this instance.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Tbh im surprised he doesnt just make his own off shoot of fifth edition.
Art is expensive, not to mention lay out. He'd have to get a very large amount of money to make any money. I'd guess he can make more profit with lots of small releases, maybe. Plus, those are much easier to produce and require a lot less time and play testing. And, there are already several competing companies.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
He's working on it according to the Patreon.
If you are talking about this part from an update "look into concepts for a psionics system that I am designing for a science fiction TTRPG that will be a companion project to the fantasy game I am working on", I'm not sure that means it is 5e compatible or not....

mamba

Legend
It is a bit of a flooded market though isn't it?
it is also a large segment, if he brings something interesting to the table, why not.

You do not need to replace the core necessarily, you could release supplemental content instead (new classes, monsters, optional rules like skill challenges, different encounter design, etc.), but there is no reason to not tackle the core either

Remove ads