The Return of D20 Modern

Glade Riven

Adventurer
No, I'm not asking for this to be core. But at some point, I'd like a "d20 Modern/Future/Past" version compatable with 5e. Had some fun times genre bending with 3.5.

Fun times.

slobster

Hero
Sure. I hope that the system is robust enough to support this sort of hacking. I'd love to see a thriving 5E-derived ecosystem, a la d20. Will WotC provide the legal framework to let third party publishers jump in with that? Who knows?

Ahnehnois

First Post
Here's hoping that 5e is workable and flexible enough to do it, and that it gets done well.

D&D is fun and all that, but there are plenty of other genres out there.

If the basic game chassis is designed well, there's no reason why it couldn't be used for other genres.

I wonder if the d20 Modern stat-based classes would be the right way to go with the 5e engine? Themes could carry some of the weight of talent trees...

herrozerro

First Post
Sure. I hope that the system is robust enough to support this sort of hacking. I'd love to see a thriving 5E-derived ecosystem, a la d20. Will WotC provide the legal framework to let third party publishers jump in with that? Who knows?

Even under gsl for 4e, dias ex machina games put out amethyst and now ultramodern4. If it can be done under gls i dont see what would stop a modern game from happening

One of the things I hope with the Modular approach is that you could just have a "Science Fiction" book with new modules, classes, background, themes and such and not even change the base game. And a lot of advice on what already published things fit.

New module for vehicles and/or mecha and/or air and space combat.

Other modules can offer support for other genres as well - Pulp, Modern (and mixing that as base classes could have an Urban Fantasy).

It could almost be a game engine that allows for multiple games from the same base - and have all the supplemental genres be consistent with each other, so good mechanical stuff you can just use it in the base fantasy game.

Now that I think about it - now I think about the subsystems of D20 future (Mecha, Cybernetics, ships etc.) are basically modules that could be plugged in.

I love modern games and had d20 modern but I think it is too niche for wotc. Even when d20 modern came out, getting people to play was always a challenge (though for some reason getting folks to play a modern savage worlds game was never quite as challenging). I did like d20 modern (not crazy about its wealth rules though).

Glade Riven

Adventurer
d20 Modern was great to raid for genre-bending. Maybe they can even break out some of the old TSR brands that they got with D&D. Wasn't Dark Matter based on Alternity or something?

Glade Riven

Adventurer
[MENTION=63913]Boarstorm[/MENTION]: I'd be fine with a 5e d20 Modern released under the Alternity brand. Maybe even a "Spelljammer" splat that could work akin to Urban Arcana.

variant

Adventurer
One of the things I hope with the Modular approach is that you could just have a "Science Fiction" book with new modules, classes, background, themes and such and not even change the base game. And a lot of advice on what already published things fit.

New module for vehicles and/or mecha and/or air and space combat.

Other modules can offer support for other genres as well - Pulp, Modern (and mixing that as base classes could have an Urban Fantasy).

It could almost be a game engine that allows for multiple games from the same base - and have all the supplemental genres be consistent with each other, so good mechanical stuff you can just use it in the base fantasy game.

Now that I think about it - now I think about the subsystems of D20 future (Mecha, Cybernetics, ships etc.) are basically modules that could be plugged in.

I am hoping for something similar.

Remove ads