• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Ring

KChagga

First Post
I just saw the Ring tonight. I thought that it was quite a good horror movie. Made me feel creepy for quite a while and it takes a whole lot to do that. I think at a couple of parts the hair on the back of my neck stood up with dread.:eek:
I thought it had excellent cinematography and a great score. ymmv
If you haven't seen this movie yet go see it.
If you've seen the movie what did you think.

Droogie

Explorer
I just saw it tonight too. Great movie. Scary as HELL. I heard it was supposed to be one of those "creeping dread" horror films (which I prefer) instead of the "leap out of your seat" variety, which put me in a false sense of security. Needless to say, I ended up jumping several times anyway, enough to make me have to squint or look away from the screen, something I haven't done since I was a kid.

It really gets under your skin. I've been thinking about the movie all day- can't seem to shake some of the images. Creeped me out enough that I felt uneasy when I picked up my coffee cup to see a coffee ring on my counter.

I suspect I'll have trouble getting to sleep tonight as well, something else I haven't done since I was a kid as a result of a movie.

All I can say is the dvd or vhs (especially the vhs) will have some really creepy gimmicks to spring on us.

Some reviewers complain about plot holes...I didn't notice any, except maybe at the beginning, when the dark-haired teenager is discussing the tape like it was a years-old urban legend, when in fact the first victims of the tape had only watched it for the first time one week ago.

Thumbs up. Go see it everybody! But bring a friend. And buy a dog or cat if you live alone.:D

Dr Midnight

Explorer
Just saw it yesterday. Very creepy stuff. I myself looked away from the screen or covered part of it with my hand twice. Ugh.

The video itself is excellent. So eerie. That high-pitched squealing noise in the background is great. I want a copy of JUST THAT video to watch.

I was drawn to it by the part in the trailer that shows Rachel screaming, but the only noise is that electronic buzzing sound.

On a completely separate note- damn,Naomi Watts is quite attractive.

Droogie said:
Some reviewers complain about plot holes...I didn't notice any, except maybe at the beginning, when the dark-haired teenager is discussing the tape like it was a years-old urban legend, when in fact the first victims of the tape had only watched it for the first time one week ago.

They weren't the first victims. They were just the latest, and the only ones Rachel had to go on.

Urgh... that one part at the funeral, where- well- it was the first real scare after the opening scene, you know what I'm talking about... EVERYONE in the theater jumped and then shifted uncomfortably, nervously giggling. Awesome. Wish I'd seen it with a larger crowd.

Last edited:

Droogie

Explorer
Dr Midnight said:

Urgh... that one part at the funeral, where- well- it was the first real scare after the opening scene, you know what I'm talking about... EVERYONE in the theater jumped and then shifted uncomfortably, nervously giggling. Awesome. Wish I'd seen it with a larger crowd.

Uh, yup. I jumped at that, and I said the 'f' word quite audibly.
And I love seeing fliks like these with large crowds. Its a blast.

That damn screechy sound during the video...I couldn't get that sound outta my head...made for uneasy sleeping.

and by Krug...I haven't seen the new version, but the Japanese original is very good as well. Very creepy film.

Yeah, I hear the original version is even scarier. Where could I get a copy?

Last edited:

Enchantress

First Post
I myself had the chance to go and see The Ring last night, but I went and saw Sweet Home Alabama instead. I'm sure you're all thinking it, so I'll just say it; What the HELL was I thinking?!?!?!?!

Richards

Legend
Forgive me for reviving a thread that's been dead for over a month, but I just saw "The Ring" for the first time tonight, and was struck by a twisted, evil plan...

...wouldn't it be funny for two people to bring their cell phones into the theater to see this movie, and then, just as the credits start to roll, have one of them hit the "speed dial" for the other's phone number? That way, just as the movie's ending, there's this ringing phone in the theater...

On another note, these four people in the row across from us got up and left the theater right after the police have come to the well, and it's the next morning and Rachel wakes up with her son. No doubt they thought to themselves, "Well, that's it - happy ending. Let's get out of here and beat the rush to the exit." Little did they realize they were missing the best part!

Johnathan

Dragonblade

Adventurer
I have seen the Japanese original but not the American remake. It was and still is the scariest movie I've ever seen in my life.

But my friend who has seen both and loves anime and all things Japanese much more than me, grudgingly admitted that he thought the American version was scarier. The narrative was a lot tighter and more focused than the Japanese version and thus it made the American version a little more intense and scarier.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads