D&D General The Rubber Band Effect

Some here may be old enough that 21 is more than half a lifetime ago, and may still qualify as "kid" in terms of life experiences.
yeah... I don't want to be 15 again, not even 18... but to be in my early or mid 20s would be amazing.

why wasn't I happy then? Oh right I wanted to be older out on my own and be my own boss... um, I'll gladly take mom bossing me around and simple jobs and freetime... the gas price was nice too (although I complained then "Why is it up to $1.65 per gallon, if it hit $2 there will be riots")

Laurefindel

Legend
My rubberband mostly swings between sci-fi (mostly Star Wars) and fantasy (mostly D&D). After a while DM/playing one, I long for the other and when I switch, I want back on the previous.:rolleyes:

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
My rubber band hasn't kicked in yet. It's going to be Pathfinder Classic. Most of the TSR era was a pain in the ass trying to even get a game going. I almost gave up on TTRPGs because of it. So, I don't have a particular draw to TSR era. I fault the folks and venues open to me at the time more than the editions.

Shiroiken

Legend
My rubber band has snapped, then. I have zero desire to return to any prior edition. I'm also not interested in OSR except for some of the newer games that are doing their own thing.
Same. I've gone back and reread a lot of the older stuff, and while I've definitely tried to incorporate the good stuff from them into 5E, I really can't go back. Right now, 5E would be my default "return to" edition.

I would be a kid again, if only to right the wrongs of my past. Getting to play D&D and other roleplaying games for 8+ hours again would be a nice fringe benefit, though.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I'd be keen to go back and play 2e or basic, still my favourite editions, most editions I'd enjoy playing again. As others have said, being able to spend more time playing when younger might be part of the nostalgia I feel for these editions, though having gone over them again fairly recently, I'd still have fun, THAC0 and all.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Meh. Nostalgia doesn't do it for me.

Even as a kid, I recognized, analyzed, and criticized the stories, mechanics, and goals of the roleplaying, tabletop, and video games I played hard.

I think it has to do with me being a preteen and teen in the 90s and early 00s. The internet was new,raw, growing and wild. So when your young mind went online to say "Hey I kinda think the way X Company does Y is stupid", there was visible displays of agreement and any disagreement tended to need some earnest and good faith to not be ignored/dismissed.

I'm also a racial minority and from Brooklyn so nostaglia is for the same for me.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases