The Runic Cthulhu Hour: Something wrong in a small town college.

Rune

Once A Fool
Ziggy said:
Excellent start, another thread added to my list of must-read stories.

Thanks! I sure hope we can play often enough to warrant that kind of devotion!

BTW CoC is *excellent* for this type of campaign, adding horror to a well-known setting maximizes the fun. We used to play a con-scenario based on using the CoC-setting in our town every year, and it was great fun. The most fun was probably the year I played a media-student filming *everything* with a small video camera (this was way before Blair Witch). His last act before dying was to fling his camera under the slowly descending door that was trapping the monsters that were killing us. It was found by the police later, and boy did those policemen lose a lot of SAN when looking on that tape.

.Ziggy

Hey, I'm a videographer/videoeditor in real life! That's pretty interesting (I loved Blair Witch, by the way). In fact in another Cthulhu game (at some point) the characters who start the game will be a documentary crew for "Sightings" or some similar paranormal investigative show.

It should be fun.

Oh, and lest people begin to think that I'm an innovative fellow, I must admit that the idea of using a familiar setting and familiar characters is nothing new. Check out RangerWickett's Savannah Knights and jonrog1's DarkMatter D20: Drunk Southern Girls with Guns, Zombie Toddlers and Bad Aliens for examples. Actually, go read them anyway.

Bianca MarOu

First Post
Mysterious Masked Man

I want to sell Rune to the circus for naming the Proffesor Strangeman (Well, from what I hear the guy really is strange, but I still believe yon DM was on crack).

The cryptic gentleman in the cape is actually my ex-husband. Said dude really has more mental problems than your average Edgar Allen Poe character, and if he was fictional he wouldn't be considered believeable because there is just so much wrong with him. After I left him he shoved me around pretty good, hence the restraining order.

When Rune described the figure on the roof, I believe my first reaction was, "Aw, Sh**!" and Kelly declared "It's fu**in' [name deleted on the request of Rune, but I still think the guy's a jackass-- er, not Rune, the deleted one]!"

Scary stuff man.

Angelsboi said:
I read it. I WANT MORE!!!!!!!

I kept thinking it was a Resident Evil/Silent Hill type. I just didnt understand. I LOVED the Urban Legend bit though but the zorro guy was never revealed as was the professor guy.

Whats up with all that??

Last edited:

Rune

Once A Fool
If anyone is interested in my methods of setting the atmosphere (not all of which necessarily worked especially well), here they are:

• No background music.
  • Turn off the lights when the characters are in the dark. Cigarette lighters are sufficient for reading by.
  • Make them roll lots of sanity checks. Lots.
  • Give them an impossible situation (such Rune's dilemma).
  • Split 'em up! Actually, they did it for me, but that's because of the situation I put them in!
  • Include NPCs that you know freak out the players.
  • Make it all too familiar.
  • Leave the appartment for a while.
  • Pound on the back door, while you're gone.
  • Call one of the players' cell-phones and hang up.
  • Do terrible looking things to your body in real-life, such as twisting your neck around.
  • Be a bastard.

[edit-added one more to the list. Second to last.]

Last edited:

Rune

Once A Fool
Angelsboi said:
when we gonna get some more?

Can't really say. It was just a one-shot, after all. Tonight's my regular game (see my sig). If a lot of people don't show up for it, maybe I'll run another one of these, instead. I really hope to get back to the Dream, though...I'll be using Piratecat's Of Sound Mind!

At any rate, thanks for tuning in. And keep an eye focused in this direction. It probably won't be very long at all...

Not sure what to do, though. I think all of the characters lost enough sanity to go permanently insane! Ah well, there's always the college's psychiatric counsiling!

Rune

Once A Fool
27 April, 2002 Session. Part 1

It is a sunny day in February.

In the emergency waiting room of Berea Hospital, four acquaintances wait anxiously on news of their friend, Rune. Rune is in surgery again. He has been allowed no visitors since his induction into the hospital a month before. Rune’s twin brother, Kelly, is here. So, too, are his friends Anthony and Michael, a recent graduate of Berea College—a psychology major. With them is a woman named Jude, a religion major whose interest in going into the ministry is no doubt influenced by her intense interest in the occult and humanity’s failings. She is the last person anyone would expect to choose a career in the clergy.

They wait.

The waiting room is filled with a number of patients waiting to be seen, with loved ones in tow. The sense of pain and suffering that comes from both are as omnipresent as the faint scent of antiseptics that permeate the building.

Still, they wait.

Is the clock on the wall getting louder as it ticks the day away?

The waiting room door opens.

Are you Rune’s brother?

"Yes."

A nurse stands in the doorway, enchanting Kelly with an indefinable magnetism.

I have some bad news. Your brother has a rare genetic defect. If you have this same defect, as is likely, you may not have long to live. We will need to take a sample of your blood.

Kelly, unable to stop himself, walks with her through the waiting room door. It all seems so reasonable. His acquaintances do nothing to stop him.

When he returns, he is told that he will have to wait for an hour for the test results.

The wait.

The paging system clicks on. Paging Dr. Hobbes. You’re needed in ICU. Paging Dr. Hobbes. You’re needed in ICU.

Dr. Hobbes? He’s the incompetent doctor from College Health Services. What could he possibly be needed for in ICU?

The waiting room door opens again. It is the nurse.

I’m sorry, sir. You do have the disease. We will need to operate immediately.

This time, she does not sound nearly so reasonable. When Kelly will not go with her, she sighs in resignation and returns through the door whence she came, on a mission to find a doctor to convince the student what is best for him.

The intercom clicks on, once again. Attention, all physicians. Code blue in ICU. Code blue in ICU.

This is followed by a frantic scramble of doctors through the hallways and a quick rush toward the emergency entrance doors, which are locked and sealed. Something is wrong.

The patients are on their feet, milling about in a state of shock. Their movements are jerky. Their bodies are pale and almost lifeless. Their faces are blank.

Within moments, they have all crowed around the thick glass doors, their injured bodies forming a half-living wall of flesh as bloody fingers leave streaks of red grime on the glass, tinting the room red as the sun shines through.

Again, the paging system springs to life. Cancel code blue in ICU. Cancel code blue in ICU.

But the doors are not being unlocked.

Last edited:

Rune

Once A Fool
27 April, 2002 Session. Part 2

The people who accompany the injured patients are unsure what is going on, but seem fairly panicked. Many run down the hallway into a different wing or rush for the stairway. Some of the injured patients break away from the human wall. As one stumbles toward Michael, he snatches up a chair and topples the unfortunate man, doubling him over unnaturally.

Two doctors rush through the waiting room door and tend to the body. One of the doctors has a small tattoo on his hand, its edge barely slipping out from under the cuff of his sleeve. It drives its image into the minds of the compatriots who catch sight of it, twisting and distorting their thoughts.

Eventually, a nurse walks out of the waiting room door, again, to give the four friends the bad news. Rune didn’t make it.

The four decide that it is time to leave the hospital, in whatever manner is possible. They walk down the hallway, toward the main entrance of the hospital. Doctors are running frantically back and forth. One such doctor trips and tumbles prone, to the floor, the sound of metal instruments clattering to the tile beside him. They are surgical tools. In haste, he scoops them up, cutting himself in the process, and a thin trail of blood follows him down the hall for a few feet.

In the reception area, no soul can be seen. No one is in the pharmacy, nor is anyone in the gift shop. The great, glass doors are sealed and locked. The combined efforts of the friends do nothing to break the glass. Michael takes the opportunity to search the pharmacy and acquire some sedatives and mood-enhancing medicines. Kelly takes the opportunity to grab some stuffed animals, which, experience has taught him, are flammable.

A low moan is rising from the hallway. Help us. Help us..

The patients are crawling and clawing through the hallway, toward the four. Many of them, far more than were in the emergency room waiting area.

Michael manages to create a hole in the glass of one of the doors, but it appears to close rapidly around his hand, which is yanked free just before it can be severed. Surely that can’t happen. Is Michael losing his mind?

Anthony and Jude discover that there is, in fact, someone in the gift shop, cowering behind one of the racks. He holds a handgun.

And he is raving. "You can’t have me! I win, you see! You can’t eat me; I have one more bullet left!" With that, he shoves the barrel of the gun into his mouth and pulls the trigger. His front teeth fly across the room as his head jerks back; the corpse collapses to the floor.

Anthony grabs the gun. It is no longer loaded.

In moments, the army of patients is upon them, and they are swept up in a sea of cold, clammy flesh. Kelly lights a teddy bear and throws it into the crowd as the four friends make their way toward the nearest stairway.

They climb to the second floor. The door opens, but beyond it is a brick wall. Nothing else. The door leads to a wall. Strange.

The group decides to escape to the roof, so they pass the third floor and continue up. The door is dead-bolted, and a small sign explains to them, No admittance.

They go back to the third floor. It opens into a hallway that stretches to the left and the right farther, much farther, than the eye can follow. Unmarked doors line each wall in an unbroken pattern that stretches indefinitely in both directions.

A low chanting can be heard in the distance, though its direction is unclear.

The group tries to open a door. An ancient voice yells at them. "You can’t have us. Go away! We don’t need you!"

The group tries another door. The same voice yells at them. "You can’t have us. Go away! We don’t need you!"

The group crosses the hall and tries another door. The same voice yells at them. "You can’t have us. Go away! We don’t need you!"

And so on down the hallway, the party tries to open doors and is met, each time, with the same response.

But at one door, the response is different. They are allowed within.

Last edited:

Rune

Once A Fool
27 April, 2002 Session. Part 3

They enter the hospital rest home. But something is wrong. The bodies of mangled nurses are sprawled across the floor and blood is spattered across walkers and wheelchairs—and the faces of the old folk.

The smell of ancient humans mingles with the antiseptic aroma.

Many of them are convulsing, as they have no access to their medication. Michael gives them what he has and hopes for happy results. An intercom system plays the soft music of Enya and is slowly driving the old folk into insanity. A television is turned on and shows reruns of old 60s sitcoms. Part of the picture is obstructed by a fragment of bloody bone.

Apparently, these poor individuals have rebelled against their oppressors.

A pounding at the door is followed by an explosion of wood splinters, as the door is burst open. The remnants swing inward on the hinges, and a strange sigil can be seen scratched into the outside of the door with a very fine blade.

The sigil is on all of the other doors, as far as the eye can see. Each is slightly different. All are maddening. They claw at the mind and taunt the beholder with unearthly whispers.

Jude recognizes one of them as some symbol she had seen on an occult book in a large bookstore—the kind of book that people try to sell to young fools who really have no idea what they are looking for in occult literature, save rebellion from authority.

They open the door.

The chanting that filled the hallway washes over them in a wave of nausea. It is loud, so very loud.

A crimson ring of robed and hooded people stands around a hospital bed, ignoring the group as their alien words continue to strike at the interlopers.

Anthony pulls out the gun and tells them to stop chanting.

They do stop chanting and turn to stare at him.

And something rises from the bed, stumbling through the circle of red-robed people toward the group.

It reeks of formaldehyde. A trail of wires falls from the stump of its shoulder, even as clumps of rotting flesh fall from the rest of its body. It picks up a piece of the flesh and begins to eat it, then stumbles forward again.

Kelly lights another teddy bear, preparing to throw it, but he is overcome with a sudden feeling of inertia. He is not capable of causing harm to this thing advancing upon the group.

It’s arm stretches forward as the thing slides one foot across the dark tile, then another.

Brr… it intones from a mangled mouth. Brother…

This thing was once Rune. It still bears some resemblance.

But Kelly can no longer remember Rune.

Last edited:

Remove ads