• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Saga Strikes Back

kroh

First Post
scourger said:
If I run a game with it, I want to do an alternate version of the original trilogy. The PCs get to be the ones who go learn the ways of the Force, fight the Empire and maybe blow up the Death Stars. The changes I would probably make include Darth Vader is dead at Obi Wan's hands and the Skywalker twins are agents of the Emperor. The heroes will interact with other characters from the movies but will never be sure which side they are on. I think that's the cool story aspect. I'm thinking of Rebel Jedi as a campaign title.

The gameplay aspect has to be easier. If the Saga Edition doesn't do it, then perhaps Savage Worlds will. The PCs have to fly their own individual ships, too, because I think a flaw inherent to the genre is that one bad pilot can end an entire campaign if the one ship carrying all the PCs gets destroyed. So, they will probably each get an X-wing or something.

The mechanical aspect is that I have to use all my Rebel Storm minis. It's the only set I have, and I bought them until I had them all; which means I have a lot of minis to use for the game. That is a very visual element that is important to me.

What are some of the ways the jedi will differ once this gets going... Sounds like an interesting idea.

Regards,
Walt

Ranger REG

Explorer
scourger said:
The gameplay aspect has to be easier. If the Saga Edition doesn't do it, then perhaps Savage Worlds will. The PCs have to fly their own individual ships, too, because I think a flaw inherent to the genre is that one bad pilot can end an entire campaign if the one ship carrying all the PCs gets destroyed. So, they will probably each get an X-wing or something.
Then you better hope the SECR designers put in some "Han Solo" factor into the rules.

The way I see it, the ships the heroes will fly in must have the same "script protection" treatment as hero characters (PCs). Thus is the Law of Lucas.

kroh

First Post
Ranger REG said:
Then you better hope the SECR designers put in some "Han Solo" factor into the rules.

The way I see it, the ships the heroes will fly in must have the same "script protection" treatment as hero characters (PCs). Thus is the Law of Lucas.

Has that become an official religion yet?

GilaMonster

First Post
I'm thinking of doing a pre-KotOR game, set around the beginning of the Great Hyperspace War, maybe even having the PCs there when the Starbreaker 12 returns to Republic space, with the Sith fleet not far behind.

The period's not that fleshed out, giving me lots of things to play with.

eyebeams

Explorer
I'm ignoring much of the EU and starting a game where the Sith are the only Force users. They rule the galaxy through a system of rival houses. One or more of the PCs will be the first Jedi. No lightsabers until the PCs come up with them either.

Last edited:

Galactic Civil War all the way, baby!

A friend of mine wanted me (who is, admittedly, the RPG-brainiac of the group) to get a copy of Saga to complement the collection.

As for our campaign, my friend had the idea to have the characters be non-cloned Strormtroopers in a scenario more 'ha-ha' and 'do you need help?' diplomatic ways (oddly, his inspiration came from the short movie 'TROOPS').

Odhanan

Adventurer
Force-related stuff aside, it'd be interesting to see the kind of synergy one would get out of a Serenity/Firefly game using the Saga rules.

scourger

Explorer
kroh said:
What are some of the ways the jedi will differ once this gets going... Sounds like an interesting idea.

Regards,
Walt

I envision it as most or all of the PCs being jedi. They will probably get a chance to save Alderaan from the Death Star. Once the Emperor learns of their powers, he will seek them out to turn them to the Dark Side. Of course, Prince Skywalker will not want to be supplanted. Princess Leia will be more ambiguous. The Rebellion will actually be the remnants of the Republic, so there will be better support for the heroes. The focus of the story is the conflict in the Force, except the heroes have to battle Luke & the Emperor.

scourger

Explorer
Ranger REG said:

Yeah, I want them to be at risk; but not the same risk as everyone else flying around in a TIE fighter. For example, both of my anticipated PCs should be in danger, but it should be difficult for one of them to get shot down and very difficult for both to be so destroyed.

Savage Worlds handles such things by making the heroes wild cards. I'll have ot see how SWSE does it (or makes itself susceptible to it).

Remove ads