The Scourge of the Ratmen [Scarred Lands] - Updated 1/26

Amaroq

Community Supporter
Issue #17: Interludes and Intermissions - Episode 3 of 13

Goldpetal and his companions reach the edge of the rubble, all that remains of the hill upon which the standing stones stood, the hill which contained one shattered altar, and beneath that, the Temple of Pain, a shrine of Gormoth. As Goldpetal walks out into the rubble, Paks stops, holding out her hand to stop Chuck as well. “We wait here,” she says, turning her back on the elf and watching outward. She draws her sword and begins patrolling the perimeter, watching for trouble, while the Vigilant, fascinated, continues to watch.

Goldpetal walks through the rubble to the center. He seats himself in a lotus position, and begins chanting in the mystic tongue of the druids. As he intones the words of the ritual, he burns some herbs he has with him in a little fire. He continues for about ten minutes. Abruptly, the fire goes out, and the elf’s chanting ceases.

A little field mouse crawls up the elf’s arm. It stops near his ear, and looks for all the world like it is whispering to him. His lips move silently, and it appears as though he gives it instructions, for it runs down his arm, and runs off into the grass. Shortly thereafter, a little bird flies up and lands on his shoulder. It sings to him, and he whispers to it. It flies off. This continues happening, with various small animals and insects coming up to him.

“We’re standing watch,” Paks’ voice startles Chuck from his reverie. He, too, begins patrolling the perimeter, keeping an eye out for ducks, and sneaking the occasional glance in at the druid. Goldpetal continues whispering to small animals for about half an hour, and then sits in silent meditation.

Two hours pass; the sun grows warm above them, and the noise of insects is the only sound. Then, a large lizard works its way quickly through the grass, passing Paks’ guard. When it reaches the silent elf, it blurs and shifts, and metamorphoses into a lizard man. He sits down and joins Goldpetal in meditation. He, too, is interrupted by more little animals, lizards and others which Chuck recognizes as indigenous to the swamp.

As the morning continues to pass, Chuck becomes bored with watching the perimeter of the hill. He begins trying to fly, instead, but the wind conditions aren’t good for it; there’s no lift.

After another hour, a female wood elf, covered in ritual tattoos, shows up. She is wearing only a loincloth, and her face has a haunting beauty to it. She doesn’t say a word, walking past the two guardians to join the circle. Chuck can’t keep his eyes off of her. Shortly thereafter, a ferret shows up, turns into a tall man, and joins them.

Finally, an eagle flies in, and turn into a stern-looking half-elf. He is the first to speak. “We are now assembled,” he declares, in a firm, loud voice. He turns towards Paks and Chuck. “Thank you very much for your help. You are not needed now.”

Paks nods, and turns to Chuck. “There are parts of the ritual that we may not see,” she tells him. In a louder voice, she calls, “At what distance should we wait?”

The half-elf seems not to have heard, and the others do not acknowledge their presence. After a moment’s silence, Goldpetal calls in reply, “Return to the Freehold. I will meet you there.”

They mount their horses to ride back to the freehold, leaving one horse ground-reigned for the druid. As they leave, they hear the group begin to speak amongst themselves in the strange language of the druids.

Chuck and Paks reach Kratys Freehold late in the afternoon, just as Miriel meets the dove. She and Stone meet them in the dining hall, where they describe what they have seen. “The ritual will last quite a while,” Paks says. Chuck looks at her curiously, as they had not received any estimate from Goldpetal, and she sounds confident of her knowledge.

Miriel says, “We would plan to spend the night here, anyways. Novalia and Telryn are still sleeping. I suspect he, at least, will sleep through the night. Stone, why don’t you tell them your story, while I go to see if I can cure Brand’s disease?”

Leaving Stone, Paks, and Chuck talking, Miriel goes to find Brand. He is asleep in a small room off the main hall, and as Myrs had said, he is covered in red blotches and has a very high fever. He is covered in a sheen of sweat, and his breathing is shallow and rapid. Miriel fervently prays to Madriel on his behalf, and casts cure disease. As she works, she can see the red blotches reducing in size, and his fever breaks. He is still asleep, but no longer sweating as heavily, and his breath returns to normal.

At the evening meal, Novalia wakes, and joins everyone in the dining hall. It is a merry company, and the hall is very full, as Taryn and Myrs maintain the custom of having all dine together, save those standing watch. With the twenty freedmen and the off-duty militia in addition to their townsfolk, the hall is packed to capacity.

Brand too, has woken up, and is dining at the head of the table with his parents. Taryn calls for silence, and offers public thanks to Miriel for healing his son, thanks which Myrs echoes. The assemblage cheers her loudly.

“It was the goddess’ will,” Miriel responds, when there is enough silence to hear her. “I am but her conduit.”

She is sitting at Taryn’s right hand, in the place of honor, so Brand is directly across from her. In a quieter voice, she tells him, “I’m glad to see you up so soon. How are you feeling?”

“Better, thanks to Madriel – and you. The illness was very sudden. It came upon me while I was working my forge, trying to melt down the scimitar.”
Miriel looks very concerned. “I should examine the scimitar,” she says.

When it appears that she might leave the table immediately, Taryn reaches out a hand to stay her. “After the meal, surely,” he says.

However, when the meal is over and we are ready to go, Myrs asks, “Miriel, wait a moment. I have some things to tell you.” She leads Miriel, Novalia, Chuck, Paks, and Stone over to a side room – the very room in which Milo’s trial was held. Taryn follows, and closes the doors behind us.

“I have studied the rat man scrolls,” she tells us, “And I have completed a translation. They are detailed documents, which describe how the ratmen were using their slaves to breed diseases, for use against human settlements.”

Paks gasps. “That’s awful!”

“That is not the worst,” Myrs says grimly. “Another scroll describes a cell of ratmen near Lave, and how they will be using the Slimy Doom to poison the water supply of that city.” She looks at Miriel, “It doesn’t say directly, but it makes a passing mention of a ‘trial run’. I think that may be the outbreak which you helped work against, last spring.”

“We couldn’t figure out how the Slimy Doom had broken out so far north,” Miriel says, nodding thoughtfully. “It is normally found only in the swamps.”

“Their plans went awry when there was a coup in the local warren,” Myrs tells us. “When Xyler Blackfoot gained control, he went against orders to attack our Freehold, seeking vengeance for his brother’s death.”

Taryn nods to Paks. “Thanks to your help, of course, we fought them off.”

Myrs continues, “The albino you met was Skelos Chernson, a noble of the rat men, Initiate of the Second White Circle. He had come to check up on their plans, and was very upset that Xyler had gone off on his own. This last scroll is an unfinished message back to his commanders, a report of all that has happened. It sounds like you eliminated them before he could send it back to his superiors.”

Taryn speaks next. “The information is very detailed: people, places. You should go to the Vigilant headquarters at Charwood Hill. It is a fortress outside of Lave, command of the Hornswythe Vigil.”

“I know it well,” Chuck says, “For I have trained there.”

“I will write a letter of introduction for the others,” Taryn says, “In case you do not arrive with them. It is important to get this information in the Vigil’s hands, for although their plans have been interrupted by your freeing of the slaves, there is almost certainly still a cell of ratmen in Lave, and they may yet find another way to poison the water supply.”

“It is a noble quest,” Paks says. Just then, there is a knock at the door.

“Enter!” calls Taryn.

It is Brand, and he carries the scimitar, wrapped in a blanket so that he doesn’t touch it.

Miriel carefully unwraps it, and examines the scimitar. She casts a spell on it, and says, “It’s definitely magic. It is bathed in some sort of necromantic enchantment. As you said, Paks, it is extremely evil, but I cannot tell what its powers may be.”

As she is examining it, the clouds outside part, and the light of the Nameless Orb begins to pour in through the window. The moon bathes the blade in its dark red light, and a series of foul runes appear on the blade.

“Those weren’t there, before,” swears Brand, his voice near a whisper.

“What do they say?” asks Paks. “We should wake Telryn.”

“No need,” Myrs says. “I know those runes. It reads Blade of Chern, in the Slytherin tongue.”

“This is an ill thing,” Miriel concludes. “I think everyone should stay away from it. Only Paks or I should touch it, and we shall keep it wrapped in this blanket, so as not to touch the hilt or blade.”

Amaroq

Community Supporter
Issue #17: Interludes and Intermissions - Episode 4 of 13

At the site of the ruined temple, the five druids sit in a circle. The half-elf, the one who had arrived as an eagle, says in the secret tongue of the druids, “This is a very good thing, for you to have called us together. The earth has taken a grievous wound here, and it will stretch all of our abilities to heal this rift.”

The half-elf begins leading them in a ritual, chanting and meditating. As they work, the sun crosses the sky. Sweat begins to drip down their faces, as there is no shade. Goldpetal can tell it will take them well into the night to cleanse this area.

There are many aspects of the ritual. For some time, they sit in silent meditation. Then they begin to chant and sing, sometimes together, sometimes individually. The elf has brought wooden pan-pipes, while the lizard-man and the human have each brought drums. In the late afternoon, they have a bonfire, and dance wildly around it to the beat of the drums, the melody of the pipes, and the strength of their song.

Around sunset, the ritual reaches a crescendo of power. The five druids stand on their feet, chanting loudly, and a great rending noise, as though of rock splitting, echoes up from the rocky ground beneath them. The earth settles beneath their feet, as the last remnants of the evil temple are ground into fine, untainted rock.

Through the early part of the evening, the ritual continues, softer and quiet, with a subtle hint of joy and spring, as the five druids bring plants to life across the barren rubble. First one blade of grass, then another, peers through the rocky earth. As though finding sunlight, they thrive and grow in the darkness. Roots, growing swiftly, permeate the remnants of the standing stones, breaking them down as well. The soft chant swells to become a raucous celebration of life. By mid-evening, the rough circle which had been a mound of rock and rubble has become a smooth meadow with grass and flowers. It looks and smells like springtime, although all around it is the dry grass of autumn.

The chant quiets, then drops to a whisper, and then to silence. After a few minutes, Goldpetal opens his eyes. He looks around the circle, where the female wood elf and the half-elf have opened their eyes as well, and greet him with smiles. The lizard man and the human are both still meditating; the human opens his eyes a minute later, while another ten minutes pass in silence before the lizard man finishes.

When they have both finished, the half-elf speaks. “It is done. A great wound to the earth has been healed here, and even more damage prevented. The earth thanks you, Goldpetal.”

The young elf bows his head in gracious acknowledgement. Through the course of the ritual, he has learned more about the Mysteries than he had yet been taught, and has learned a great deal about ritual casting.

“This Circle is finished,” the half-elf says formally. After a moment, he motions to the two elves, and adds “You two should remain, and speak with Strength of the Willow.” With that, he seems to blur and shift, and turns into the eagle, already stretching its wings in flight. In moments, the eagle disappears into the night sky. The human druid, once again a ferret, has already slipped off into the new-grown grass.

The lizard man, Strength of the Willow, remains with the two elves. He speaks the druidic tongue fluently, with only a hint of a Draconic accent. “You have learned much, both tonight, and in your experiences these past three months. You have, tonight, learned Mysteries known only to an Initiate of the Third Circle. However, there is more that you need to learn.”

“You,” he says sharply, turning to peer at Goldpetal, “Must learn to control your spells. Many times, in my swamp, you have cast a spell without intent. This is dangerous, very dangerous. A mere wizard does as much, trying things he does not comprehend until one achieves an effect that he desires. Often, they see not the consequences of their power, and that will inevitably destroy them. Of a druid, I expected more. Your powers must come at your will, and stay bound to your will, or you would be better off without.”

Goldpetal looks abashed, but the lizard man turns his attentions to the wood elf. “And you,” he says, with a similar sharpness to his voice, “Must learn to control your passions. Your anger has nearly destroyed you once, and your love for a companion not of the Circle may yet destroy you. You must rule your actions with your head, not your heart, or you will one day use your powers in a way which you will keenly regret.”

The wood elf looks defensive, but stares at her feet without response.
After a moment, the lizard man says, “You must both practice self-discipline. But,” and with this his voice lightens. “There is also something else you must practice.

“You have noticed by now that you can pass without a trace, if you so desire?” They both nod. “This is because your experiences have made you more attuned with both the earth and the plants. They respect and accept your presence, in a way that they resist the presence of others. Similarly, thorns will turn aside, and briars will not grasp you, allowing you to move without pause through heavy foliage.

“There are also new spells and rituals which are available to you, which I must teach you.”

He spends several hours teaching them the new spells and rituals. There are many rites, too many to list, but amongst them the two elves learn to both cause and neutralize poison, as well as how to cause and remove disease. They are also able to cast a spell to breathe underwater, to merge with or sculpt stone, and to call lightning.

When these spells are all taught, the lizard man concludes, “You can see why self-discipline is so important. With these spells, both great good and great evil can be wrought. If you are not disciplined, much ill can come of this knowledge.

“Far more important, however, is what I must teach you next. For you will learn to assume the form of an animal. I know not which; you saw that I become a lizard, while others take other forms. You must discover for yourself which animal you possess in your heart. But again I must warn you: Discipline and thought must rule your mind. There are ever stories of the unwary, both of young Initiates trying to learn the Mysteries without guidance, or of elder Druids whose self-control lapses. Those unfortunates forget how to change, forget even that they were once an elf, or a lizard man, or a human. They are trapped, forever, in the body of the beast.”

The two elves draw a deep breath and square their shoulders, and the lizard man teaches them the way. With a ripple, a great black panther occupies the space that Goldpetal had stood in. The panther turns its head, and finds beside it a lithe reddish-brown fox. Another ripple, and the two elves are standing in the clearing again, with awe on their faces. “Go,” says the lizard man. “Play. Feel the joy of the animal form, but forget not who you are.”

Again, the ripple, and panther and fox stand side by side. With a flounce of her bushy tail, the fox turns and darts across the plain, and the panther runs with it. However, though they play together for a brief moment, after some time the fox turns north to head into the hills, while the panther works his west across the plains.

Goldpetal learns the joy of running as a panther, his sure paws beneath him finding every foothold, his gait both effortless yet faster than he has ever run before. His eyesight is keener even than an elf’s, and the night air carries many stories to his nose. Finally, he recognizes the scent of an apple orchard, and remembers what he is, and where he needs to go. He turns towards the orchard.

Before he can reach the edge of the trees, however, a great eagle swoops down in front of him. The cat-like instinct leads him rushing towards it, prepared to pounce. As he coils himself to spring, the eagle ripples and becomes the half-elven druid, standing tall and stern before him.

The panther tries to stop, but tumbles over its paws, clumsily sliding to a halt at the druid's feet. As the dust settles, Goldpetal lies there, in elven form. He picks himself up, and so does not see the hint of a smile which fleetingly crosses the older druid’s face.

“You should not approach them so,” the half-elf advises. “For they would not recognize you. It is best that you introduce them to the concept gently, should you find it necessary to do so at all.”

“Yes,” Goldpetal says, with a hint of a smile, which any observer might have thought similar to the older druid’s. “I can see that.”

“I wished to speak with you alone,” the half-elf says. “Walk with me.”

They walk together through the apple orchard, and wherever the half-elf passes, apples almost ripe ripen, and green ones begin to turn red. “This is not over, yet,” the half-elf says. “You should go with your companions, northward to Lave, for your task is yet undone. But be cautious. The way of Madriel is not the same as the way of Denev, though they may lie together for a time. I see in your future a difficult choice, for a day will come when you must choose between your companions and Denev.”

Graywolf-ELM

Explorer
Yes, I agree. I haven't ready any story hour which brought together a meeting of Druids in such a manner. nemmerle's has a more brutal set of Druids, if you get around to reading that story hour.

GW

Amaroq

Community Supporter
The druid is a particularly tough class to DM, I think. I've never been in a game where one was given the chance to 'shine' in this way, standing front and center. A lot of times, the druid 'ethic' differs enough from the hero 'ethic' that some DM's avoid addressing a druid's motivations; Goldpetal's player does a great job of standing in his role, and representing it to our DM, who in turn has presented him with some great dilemnas and some excellent moments on center stage. (Talking about 'The Shrine of Gormoth' episode, Goldpetal's player says, 'Oh, I think of that as 'The Standing Stones' episode!') Plus, I just loved the description of what 'levelling up' might look like.

Thanks for the pointer to the story hour - will have to check it out!

Amaroq

Community Supporter
Issue #17: Interludes and Intermissions - Episode 5 of 13

At Kratys Freehold, after discussing our plans with Taryn and Myrs, though it is still early in the evening, most of us retire to our rooms.

Chuck is in a state of bleary-eyed exhaustion, having stood watch while the rest of us slept the night before. He’s been up almost forty hours with only a half-hour nap at dawn. He heads straight to bed, and is instantly asleep to dream of his beloved ducks.

Miriel examines Telryn, who wakes briefly, but appears disoriented. His eyes do not focus well, and though he recognizes his friends, he doesn’t know what day it is.

“I think he has a concussion,” she concludes, shaking her head. “But I lack the energy to perform a healing on him tonight.”

“I can heal him,” Novalia offers. “Though Tanil’s healing is slower and seems to exhaust me more, I have slept through the afternoon.”

Miriel looks at her, as though sizing her up, and then gives a curt nod. “I will go downstairs to make a tea which will help him rest,” she says. As she steps out of the room, Novalia steps to the bedside and prays to Tanil for healing for the young mage.

When they have finished, and Telryn has drunk the tea, he looks much better, and settles into an easier, natural sleep.

The rest of the group gathers in the other bedroom. “I am going to sleep,” Miriel says. “We should get a full night’s rest, and discuss our plans in the morning.”

Stone nods. “Sleep sounds good,” he says. His bruised and battered face still looks a mess.

“You guys sleep,” Paks says, “I want to stand vigil until Goldpetal returns.”

“I’ll wait with you,” Novalia tells her.

The two women stand watch from the roof of the wall. They talk long into the night, about many things. Novalia outlines her plan for a company to stand against the ratmen here at the border of the swamp, and again tries to convince Paks to join her. The warrior gives her no commitment, but helps revise the plan and assists the young huntress in figuring costs, supplies, and strategies.

When they exhaust that topic, Paks describes all of the fantastic events which have befallen her, from the first strange healing she was able to perform back in the tower, to the dream and spells which came to her in the swamp, to her ability to sense as a palpable thing the evil of the Shrine of Gormoth. Finally, she tells Novalia what the Hope had said, privately, about the ‘Knight of the Swan’. When her strange tale is finished, she asks, “What is happening to me?”

Novalia looks out into the darkness for almost a minute before turning to face her friend, and responding. “I can shed no light on that, Paks, other than to say, ‘It is clear that the goddess takes a great interest in you.’ Sometimes, the gods act in ways not of our choosing. Paladins are not always created by training and ritual bestowed by other paladins. There are always some who the gods choose, and those that feel that call do not turn from it.”

“But... Paladin? Me? I’m a simple mercenary.”

“You may have been, once, but in the time I have known you, you have never been a simple warrior.”

“I just want to do what is good.”

“What else would a paladin of Madriel want?”

Paks has no answer to that, and they stand in the chill night air for a while. Following the first rains of fall, the air is cooler than it has been in many months. After a contemplative silence, Novalia describes how frosty Miriel and Telryn were on the ride home. “I don’t know why they would be so cold to me!” she says plaintively.

Paks touches her hand to the younger woman’s shoulder. “I think they were very upset that you shot the Hope.”

“But…” Novalia protests, struggling to find the words to explain.

“I know,” Paks says, with compassion in her voice. “You were trying to end its misery. I knew what you were doing. I don’t think Miriel can see it that way.”

Again a silence falls over the two companions.

When Novalia turns to say something else, she sees that tears are streaming down Paks face. Silent sobs shake the warrior’s body, and Novalia puts an arm around her as she buries her face in her hands.

Paks tries to speak, but the sobs make her words impossible to understand.

Finally, she chokes out the words “I… miss… him…”

Novalia can only hold her as she mourns for Hands of Fire, saying “I know… I know…” She holds Paks until she has cried herself out.

It is well after midnight, and tears have dried, before Goldpetal steps from the shadow of the apple orchard to stand before the gates.

“Hold on,” Novalia calls down to him. “I’ll get a guard to open the gate for you.”

“No need,” the druid replies. “I have much to think about this night. I will sleep outside, and meet you for breakfast. I merely wanted to let you know I had returned.”

He turns to go.

“Wait!” calls Paks. He turns, looking at her with those inscrutable purple eyes. “Did it work?” she asks, quietly.

His elven ears have no trouble hearing her. “Yes,” he says. “The land is healed.”

Paks says nothing, but gives him a firm nod. The elf returns it gravely, then steps into the dark shadows of the orchard.

Morning dawns on the second Madraday of Madrer. Miriel awakens early to perform the special dawn rites which accompany the holy day. As she meditates, she can feel that the goddess is pleased with her efforts. She can feel happiness suffuse her, as though the warm rays of the sun warm her soul. When her ritual is complete and she opens her eyes, she finds that she has learned a new spell which will allow her to remove a curse. She thinks immediately of Chuck.

Miriel returns to the bedrooms, where most of us are still slumbering, and moves quietly among the rest of the party, examining our injuries.

Telryn awakens easily at her approach. Novalia’s healing the night before removed his concussion, and his eyes focus normally. After sixteen hours of deep sleep, he looks fully healthy, and heads downstairs for breakfast.

Paks, too, seems fully healthy. She sighs deeply in her sleep, however, and Miriel suspects that her heart is still heavy.

Stone’s bruises are fading. Instead of the dark purple and grey of the previous day, they are now a dark, sickly green. The effect, with his pugnacious piggish nose, makes him look closer to full orcish. If she hadn’t known him for so long, Miriel might have found the visage frightening. Instead, she concludes that the bruises will heal without further assistance from her.

Chuck, who has the worst injuries of anybody, she has intentionally left for last. He has not received healing since being battered by the falling rocks of the collapsing shrine, and she lays her hands on him as though to heal him. Instead, she surreptitiously casts her new spell, remove curse, on the young Vigil.

She feels it fizzle beneath her hands. Chuck starts to wakefulness. He looks up sharply at her and demands, “What was that?”

“I was just trying to make you feel better,” Miriel placates him.

He looks at her dubiously, but she calls on Madriel to heal him, and as his injuries heal, his suspicions fade.

The brief commotion has woken the others, who begin to rise and dress. Miriel offers to look Novalia over, but the archer dismisses her with a brief, “I’m fine.”

Since nobody else needs further healing, Miriel completes her rounds by healing her own bruises and sore ribs, for she too had been hit by the falling rocks of the collapse.

When we go down to join Telryn for breakfast, we find Goldpetal coming through the main gate. He joins the party in the main dining hall.

“Paks says it worked,” Miriel tells Goldpetal, as we sit down to Myrs’ fine morning meal.

“Yes.” The elf cocks his head at her. “The land is healed. I have learned many things about ritual casting.”

When he says no more, Stone recounts his story, briefly describing the encounter with the ratman monk, and his defeat at the blind one’s hands.

Miriel describes the disease Brand had caught from the enchanted scimitar, while trying to melt it down, and how she has learned a spell to cure disease, and that she was able to heal him. She does not relate the tale of the dove or her attempt to remove Chuck’s curse.

Finally, we tell Goldpetal about the rat man plot, and discuss where to go next. The last time we’d discussed our next destination, we had been split evenly between going to Lave or Southport, but the events of the past day, and the things we have learned, have changed many of our minds.

“I’m convinced,” Paks starts. “I think we should go straight to Lave.”

“Though I would prefer to go straight to Lave,” Miriel responds, “I have had a message from Verenia. I must go to Southport first.”

“I am willing to go to Lave,” Novalia says, “To fight rat men, but I don’t think we can spare the time to stop through Southport.”

Goldpetal looks at her with those dark eyes. “But we have a responsibility to go back to Southport and inform the town council of what has happened,” he says.

“Yeah,” Stone adds, though he appears bemused that he is agreeing with the elf.

“I don’t,” points out Telryn, “Nor does Novalia, but if that’s where Miriel is going, then there I go as well.”

“I’m still going directly to Lave,” Novalia tells us firmly. “Even if everyone else agrees to go to Southport.”

“Are we agreed?” Goldpetal asks, looking at Paks and Chuck.

“Sure,” Chuck answers cavalierly.

“I will go with the group,” Paks agrees. “Novalia, here, take your shopping list back – you’ll be able to fill it sooner than I will. Where in Lave should we meet?”

“We can meet at my family’s tavern,” Miriel suggests, “The Sleeping Dragon Inn.”

We pack for the trip. Myrs includes some of her special spicy food, and we take the scrolls from the rat man warren. The evil scimitar resides deep in Paks’ backpack. The freeholders are more than happy to sell us horses. Novalia buys two horses, so she can trade off between them. We leave the aged horses, the nags we had rescued from Delonia’s crew, and the cart in trade, buying better horses for everyone else, and a pony for Dorin, the dwarf. Stone declines to have a horse, stating that he can outpace any horse ever foaled.

Novalia sets out north through the hills towards Lave, while the rest of us move east towards Southport, trying to reach the ruined tower by nightfall.

During our travels, Telryn talks to Dorin about Burok-Torn. Dorin is willing to talk seemingly forever about his ancestral home, describing at length what a wonderful city it is, made of the finest rock wrought by the master craftsmen of the dwarves. He tells us that we must visit, but of course we'll need to slip through the Callastian troops somehow. Telryn asks about the city’s history, and Dorin tells great tales of about how Burok-Torn was founded, and epic battles the dwarves have fought. Dorin talks his ears off, tracing the lineage of the dwarven kings and the dwarven clans, on which he dwells for several hours.

As we begin to approach the familiar ruined tower, Dorin begins to tell a dwarven legend from the early history of the dwarves. He tells it in a formal style, as though recounting it word-for-word from some other source. Some of the story is known to Telryn and Miriel; all of it is new to Paks and Chuck, who listen in rapt silence. The final words of his tale, after telling of a glorious dwarven victory, are, “And thus began the time of prosperity, which lasted until we met the enemies below.”

He shuts his mouth immediately after, and then abruptly changes the subject. This last is too much for Telryn’s curiosity, and he begs the dwarf to explain what he means. Try though the mage might, however, the dwarf’s lips remain closed in stony silence, and we ride the final hour to the ruins of the tower without any further explanation.

Graywolf-ELM

Explorer
Amaroq said:
Thanks for the pointer to the story hour - will have to check it out!

It will take you a while to get to it in the story if you start from the beginning. The Druid is a Half-Orc, Ratchis.

Another one with darker undertones, is Rel's faded glory story hour. Druids against Druid turned bad, and one time allies of bane, and kind of anti-druids.

Those are the ones that stick in my head besides yours anyway.

On another subject. Do you have the Cursed Duck statuette written up anywhere? I'd love to see your stats on it, to modify for a game I'm running.

GW

Fergus

First Post
Cursed Duck Write-up

On another subject. Do you have the Cursed Duck statuette written up anywhere? I'd love to see your stats on it, to modify for a game I'm running.

I don't think so... However, going off of the d20 SRD, I think that something along these lines would be a good proposal:

Cursed Duck Statuette: Orginally invented as a great practical joke to play on impulsive and greedy dungeon crawlers, the cursed duck statuette appears as an expensive collectible art object. It casts its curse on the first looter unwise enough to touch a random duck statuette in the middle of a dungeon devoid of any civilized humanoids who would craft such artwork. The poor soul becomes convinced that he is kin to ducks and is instilled with the overwhelming conviction that he can fly in a perfect V-formation with his brethren, float effortlessly in the worst of weather, and that he can communicate via loud quacking noises with ducks and other water fowl. To his companions' great dismay, he is often seen showing off his flying and swimming talents in embarrassing situations. These stunts never result in any success, though there's always a good reason why he's unable to fly this time even though it works in general. The afflicted person also feels compelled to keep, protect, and rescue the statuette from harm; after all, one must protect one's duck family regardless of whether it is a live or inanimate duck. The curse can be lifted either through a remove curse spell or destroying the statuette, though it will be hard to pry the statuette from its somewhat paranoid owner. In the case of a remove curse, death of the owner (usually from drowning...), or similar event that breaks the enchantment, the statuette will inflict its curse on the next person to touch it.
Faint Enchantment; CL 7th; Create Wondrous Item, suggestion; Price 2,500gp; Weight 5 lbs.

I don't think that there was any Will save, though I'd probably recommend allowing a player a DC 13 Will save to avoid acting like a duck in an instance where the cursed character could reasonably determine that doing so would cause serious harm to himself, the party, etc. Practicing flying off the roof of a building on a nice sunny day and risking broken legs would not qualify for a Will save, though. *grin*

I'm curious to see if the DM has a write up that he'll share with us.

Last edited:

Remove ads