The Scourge of the Ratmen [Scarred Lands] - Updated 1/26

Amaroq

Community Supporter
On another subject. Do you have the Cursed Duck statuette written up anywhere? I'd love to see your stats on it, to modify for a game I'm running.
I'm not the DM, so no, I don't. Perhaps joshwitz has them?

The inspiration, of course, came from Munchkin, the classic faux-D&D card game. Our DM relied entirely on the character playing the role rather than forcing the action via a Will-save mechanic; 'It's YOUR duck, make sure nobody else takes it; you'll do whatever it takes up to and including as a last resort injuring or killing your friends. You also believe you can fly like a duck, swim like a duck, and speak with ducks: please undertake those at any reasonable opportunity to fly, swim, or chat.' So the hapless Chuck wouldn't, for example, ditch the party to go practice flying in the middle of a battle... but he might try to fly across a chasm obstacle with precipitous results.

However, you'll note that Fergus' description above re: remove curse is incorrect; application of that spell explicitly failed when Miriel cast it on Chuck. I'm not sure if the DM required a Spellcraft check, gave the object a save, or had explicitly marked the curse as requiring break enchantment instead, but the look on Miriel's face was priceless: she'd just levelled up and it appeared as though she had been meta-game looking forward to being able to remove the curse herself when she reached 5th level.

Amaroq

Community Supporter
Issue #17: Interludes and Intermissions - Episode 6 of 13

Novalia works her way to the north. At first, over the plains surrounding the Freehold, she finds it easy going, but as she reaches the hills, she begins to have trouble. There is no road, and as she reaches the summit of the ridge of hills, the going becomes very difficult. She works her way through broken ground, often having to scout for a path, or backtrack. She can’t push the horses too hard, at risk of injuring them.

She is about halfway through the journey, perhaps six hours travel, and past the summit of the hills, when she comes across a gruesome scene. Corpses litter the ground, dismembered and brutally butchered. Everything they once possessed has been smashed or broken and scattered on the bloody ground, even their weapons and armor. Holding her breath, she kneels down to examine the bodies more closely, but she can learn no more. She cannot figure out what attacked them, how many attackers there were, or even how many bodies she has found. She is unable to identify who the victims were, or what business might have brought them this far off of the roads.

Thus warned, she knocks an arrow to her bow, and rides quietly, alert to any sound in the bushes. She does not see any sign of humanity, nor of the unknown attacker, until at last she reaches the northern side of the hills, and can see the Veshian heartland spread out beneath her. She can see the silver band of the Hornswythe River to the north, and farms dot the countryside. A small village is nearby, and from it a dirt path leads down towards the river.

She follows the path until she comes down to the Lave-Southport road, which winds from northwest to southeast along the river’s edge. On the road, she begins to push the horses harder, switching between them frequently without stopping to rest. After the tenth hour of her journey, both the horses are too fatigued to continue further. They refuse all of her efforts, panting and lathered with exertion. Pragmatically, she gathers all of her things from the saddlebags, removes their saddles and harness setting those on the ground, and abandons them.

She walks the final miles to Lave on foot, arriving after sunset. The gates to the city are closed, but she finds a room in a seedy farmer’s inn on the outskirts. It is a dismal, shabby place, and it strikes her as worth paying the extra for a private room; she offers an extra silver piece to be woken at first light. Stiff and saddle-sore, she retires to her room, where she summons Tanil’s healing to help overcome her fatigue before she goes to sleep.

The scruffy inn-keeper awakens Novalia at first light. It is the second Taniday of Madrer, and she offers a quick prayer to her patron, Tanil, thinking it a lucky omen that she begins her search on his day. After a quick meal in the commons, she sets out to explore the aqueduct system. Though Myrs’ had read that an enclave of the ratmen is hidden in a cave near one of the aqueducts, she doesn’t know which one.

She follows the first aqueduct she finds out of town to the northwest, keeping an eye out for any signs of the ratmen. After three hours of search, she is ready to conclude that she has the wrong aqueduct, but her patron provides luck on his day. Just as she is about to turn back, she espies rat-like tracks, as large as a man’s foot, leading away from the aqueduct.

She draws her bow, and follows the tracks. She moves as stealthily as she can, planting each step with care. The tracks lead into a small but thick wood. As she works her way into the foliage, something hard smashes against the side of her head. She falls to the ground, rolling onto her back.

The last thing she sees as darkness overcomes her are the muzzles of three ratmen standing over her.

The rest of us awaken at the tower on the morning of the second Taniday of Madrer. It is the 10th day of the month. Knowing that we are a mere half-day’s travel from Southport, where we plan to stay the night, we take our time packing, and enjoy a leisurely breakfast. Miriel’s cooking, which was good to begin with, has only improved as she grows more accustomed to cooking over a campfire instead of in the comfort of an inn’s kitchen.

We ride north on the road to Southport. As we’re traveling, we come across a grisly scene of our own. Several bodies lie just off the road, with one of them stretched across it. Dried blood is pooled on the grass next to them. They have been hacked apart, brutally, and it is tough to tell how many of them there are, or much about them.

Stone observes, “They’re human,” pointing at a head which, though severed, has been left mostly untouched.

Miriel shudders. “Yes, but that’s about all we can tell,” she says. Even the practiced healer looks very green about the gills; Telryn has stepped off the path to retch on the other side.

“It appears to be perhaps five different humans,” Goldpetal offers, squatting beside one of the bodies. The elf’s approach disturbs a cloud of flies. “Look. Their weapons have been sundered, and this appears to be the symbol of Vesh on their armor.”

“It might be a Veshian patrol that’s been slaughtered,” Miriel says, fingering the broach on one corpse’s leather tunic.

“That’s the militia emblem,” Paks observes, looking over her shoulder.

As they talk, Chuck has been studying the ground. He seems to be stepping precisely in the tracks of one of the combatants. Now he speaks: “It appears to have been a battle of one against five. The band of five were ambushed. They fought well, and bravely. Only the last one turned to run, at the very end. The victor attacked the others as though in a berserker rage, and then went off this way…” Chuck begins following the tracks away from the road. “…off into the woods.” He disappears into the woods.

“Hey Paks,” calls Telryn, whose curiosity has gotten the better of his nausea. He motions the warrior over to the body he is examining. “You’ve seen war. These look like clean cuts…”

Dorin interrupts. “Axe wounds, from a huge axe. I’m sure of it – I use one meself, and I’ve seen these kind of wounds before.”

Telryn nods. “They’ve been hacked up with an axe. Paks, why would he keep hacking them up after killing them?”

Paks looks at the corpses, shaking her head with pity in her eyes. “I haven’t seen anything like this,” she says.

“Do you feel any evil presence in the area?” Miriel asks Paks.

The warrior closes her eyes for a moment in concentration. “No, nothing,” she answers, “Though this is clearly an evil act.”

Just then, Chuck reappears out of the woods.

“Any luck?” asks Paks.

“No,” he says with a curt head shake. “I lost him. You’d think that heavy boots would be easier to follow, but if any spider webs have been broken, the spiders have rebuilt them since.”

Telryn, still looking a bit green around the gills, stands up from the body he was investigating and asks Chuck, “When did this take place?”

“I’d guess about two days ago.”

Miriel invokes Madriel to bless the souls of the departed, and we wait in respectful silence. When she is finished she says, “There’s little more we can do here. I suggest we move on.”

“No,” Paks says firmly. “We can’t just leave them. I want to bury them.”

Miriel looks impatient. “We have neither the tools nor the time,” she says.

Paks looks stubborn, but before she can reply, Telryn steps in. “There is plenty of wood at the forest edge,” he says. “It won’t take long to make a pyre.”

He quickly has agreement from both women, and we collect wood from the forest to make a pyre for the dead.

We arrive at the Laughing Ogre Inn in early afternoon. The people of Southport have heard about our rescue of Kratys Freehold, and we are cheered in the streets as we ride up to the Inn. Fox and his children meet us in the courtyard, clearly delighted to see us. The Inn, which had been fairly empty this early in the afternoon, is quickly full of people.

Fox gives us a round of beer and food, and everyone gathers around us, wanting to hear about our adventures. Saraya, the bard, starts singing a song she has written about the heroes of Kratys Freehold. It is well written, with a verse about each of us, and it sounds extremely heroic. There’s even a long part the treachery of Milo.

When he hears that part, Chuck laughs. “Word travels fast,” he says.
Miriel doesn’t join in the fun and cheers, instead eating rapidly. When Paks asks what the hurry is, she responds, “I have to go to the temple.”

“I want to go with you,” Paks tells her. They finish eating just as the song concludes, and walk out the door together.

In the inn, Saraya starts asking for details about our latest adventure. People seem to know that we were leaving Kratys Freehold to go into the swamp, and they keep asking questions about that trip. Between Stone and Chuck’s laconic answers, and Goldpetal’s natural reticence, it falls to Telryn to tell the tale, though the others help him muddy the story, especially Dorin, who is fond of lengthy sidebars.

All that any of them is willing to say about the standing stones is Goldpetal’s cryptic quote, that “They are no more.” The townspeople back off when they see we don't want to talk about it.

After Telryn finishes the story of the swamp for the second time, Saraya’s questions get more detailed. Fox is sitting there with his arm around Telryn, when Saraya asks, “So, Telryn, there’s one thing you’ve not explained. How did you happen to get teleported into the Freehold? Where had you been?”

“Oh, I’m sure it was just a teleport error,” he says. “I was in Lave, and went to see Delmeron…”

In a lightning move, as soon as he mentions that name, Fox draws a dagger. Before anyone can react, his blade is at Telryn's throat. The noisy common room hushes to utter silence. Fox growls, “What have you to do with Delmeron?” A drop of blood appears on the mage’s skin.

Telryn doesn’t flinch. “Fortunately, nothing,” he says, his voice firm and unyielding. “He teleported me wrong.”

“He's always interfering in my plans,” says Fox, “Twisting them to his own ends.”

“I assure you, I am not involved,” Telryn says. “My master is Loowys Strangeblood, in Mullis Town. He sent me to Lave to purchase a rare magical component.”

Fox looks Telryn in the eye, and seems to make a judgment to himself. “You don't seem to have the whiff of one of Delmeron's dogs,” he says, “But if I find that you are one of his spies, you are a dead man.” He removes the dagger from Telryn's throat, and re-sheathes it. The noise of conversation resumes, though at a hush, throughout the room.

“Have you arcane talents yourself, sir?” Telryn asks of the half-elf.

“I may have some talent in the arcane arts, but perhaps this is not the place to speak further. Come with me, let us adjourn to a private room. Saraya, play a lively tune, please,” Fox gets up, and walks with us to one of the back rooms of the first floor, a small chamber with a dining table, fire place, and two benches.

As we walk, Chuck whispers to Telryn, “Well done. Very smooth.”

We all seat ourselves in the private room, and Rian brings another round of drinks, shutting the door behind her to give us privacy. Fox tells us more about Delmeron. “Long ago,” he says, “Delmeron was one of my companions in adventure, along with Grilliam and others. When we first began, he seemed a staunch ally, but he turned to evil ways, and began studying the necromantic arts. We parted, with harsh words. Now, every time Grilliam and I do something, Delmeron is meddling in our schemes.

“I must warn you that Delmeron is a very evil, subtle and conniving wizard.”

“So I have learned,” Telryn says. “I can't match spells with him now, but someday there will be a reckoning.”

“There is no chance that your teleportation was an error. Delmeron is too good a wizard for that. He's up to something, I just don't know what. He's probably spying on the rest of you because of my support. I don't know how he learned of your band so soon.”

Elder-Basilisk

First Post
So, what happened to Novalia? Did her player decide to leave the campaign? Or was her player just a bit too bull-headed and spent a few too few ranks in spot and listen?

Fergus

First Post
Elder-Basilisk said:
So, what happened to Novalia? Did her player decide to leave the campaign? Or was her player just a bit too bull-headed and spent a few too few ranks in spot and listen?
You can never spend too many ranks in Spot and Listen! *grin*

Will the party find her body? Will the party find her after she escapes from someone's evil clunches? See what happens to Novalia in the next installment (or two)!

Amaroq

Community Supporter
Issue #17: Interludes and Intermissions - Episode 7 of 13

Paks and Miriel reach the temple of Madriel, and find the high priestess, Verenia, waiting at the door to greet them. “Miriel, I’m glad you heeded my message,” Verenia says, “And that you came to join her, Paks. Let us speak privately in my office.” As they pass through the main chamber of the church, both Miriel and Paks pause to make donations of one hundred gold pieces, having come into wealth during our adventures in the swamp.

When they are seated privately in Verenia’s office, she tells Miriel, “You fulfilled the prophecy. I had a vision of you in the Shrine of Gormoth. It must have been horrifying!”

“Yes,” Miriel says, while Paks starts to ask a question.

Verenia holds up her hand to stop her. “You did the right thing. Yes, the Hope was destroyed, and so was your lizard-man friend, but their sacrifice helped not only destroy the shrine, but prevented a great evil from entering the world. Perhaps the Hope’s spirit has returned to Madriel. May the spirit of the lizard-man rest with his ancestors.”

She turns to Miriel. “I called you here because I recently had a second vision. I saw a double-handled urn, etched with serpents, filled with blood.”

Paks glances over to Miriel. “I didn’t tell you this, Miriel,” she confesses, “But the Hope spoke to me, when you had all departed and I was left alone with it. It said that the ‘Serpent Amphora’ had been found, and that ‘The Dal-Arnot’ must not get it, and that I must protect it at all costs.” She asks Verenia, “Could this urn you saw be the Serpent Amphora?”

“I don’t know what it is,” Verenia says, “I’d suggest that you check with the loremasters in Lave.”

“Milady,” Paks asks the priestess, “Could you use your powers to locate the Amphora?”

The priestess shakes her head. “Such divination is beyond me,” she says. “But let me describe the rest of the vision. Many gods were involved, not just Madriel. I saw signs of Tanil, Hedrada, Chardun, and even Belsameth, and the serpents of course represent the Serpent Queen, the fallen Titan Mormo.

“Madriel has entrusted you with this quest. You will both be her agents in the dangerous deeds ahead. Do not fail her!”

The two young women sit silent for a moment, heads bowed, contemplating the great responsibility.

Verenia turns to Paks. “Paks, I suspect that you might be the Knight of the Swan.”

“The Hope called me that!” she exclaims, “Twice!”

Verenia nods solemnly. “To those who can see it, there is a great cygnet growing inside you. Madriel is testing you. This test brings great danger and responsibility!”

“But, what does it mean, ‘the Knight of the Swan’?”

Verenia doesn’t answer immediately. When she does start to speak, at first it seems not to be an answer to the question. “I met the last Swan Knight, Arniel,” she says, “Almost 40 years ago, when I was very young. During the Great Healing, she quested across the land, helping the injured and the weak and the defiled. They say that she was originally from Durover, but she traveled across the breadth of Ghelspad. She hasn’t been seen in at least a generation, more than twenty years. Some say she’s been taking bodily up to Heaven to serve Madriel directly. Others say she’s being held prisoner, while others say she’s off fighting evil elsewhere."

Paks looks thoughtful. “Has it been 21 years?” she asks. “I’m just a little over 21.”

Verenia nods, pursing her lips in thought. “I’m not sure,” she says, “But it is possible. You should both go to the main cathedral in Lave and talk to the Mother Superior of Vesh, Helea. She might know more.”

Verenia looks Miriel in the eye, and says, “This is your quest as well. Protect and support Paks, and she will do the same for you.”

Miriel nods, but does not respond.

The priestess says, “I have messages for some of your companions as well. Tell Chuck, ‘Beware the Serpent in the Fold! It’s bite will be deadly and unexpected!’ And for Stone, ‘Beware the Huntsman! The hunter and the hunted can swap roles quickly. Do not be the recipient of the fatal blow!’

At the Laughing Ogre, the interest dies down, when the heroes remain hidden for an hour or so. When he judges it safe to do so quietly, Stone slips out the back door.

He works his way through town to the temple of Hedrada. He stops in the chapel, and kneels in prayer. Everyone recognizes him, and a number of Hedrada’s worshippers find sudden reasons to be in or near the chapel, despite the odd hour for it. Stone ignores the whisperings, “That’s the half-orc monk of Hedrada!” “He killed a ghoul with his bare hands!”, and keeps his head buried in prayer.

Grilliam arrives, and the crowd disperses, discovering business elsewhere as quickly as they had discovered reasons to observe. Grilliam waits until Stone looks up, and then says, “I would like to speak with you, Stone, if you are done making your observances.”

“I am,” the half-orc says, clambering to his feet. Grilliam leads him through the main hall towards his office, and Stone takes a moment to drop five platinum pieces and two hundred silver in the temple’s renovation fund. When they are seated, Stone tells Grilliam of our adventures. He leaves nothing out, though the half-orc is not naturally given to a long tale, and he makes short work of many parts of it.

When the tale has finished, with the news of the dismemberment in the road, Grilliam says, “You have done well. Very well. Your band has certainly earned the second half of our reward,” he says, and he pushes ten platinum pieces across the desk.

“You are proceding to Lave immediately?” When the half-orc nods, the priest offers “Let me give you a letter to give to the authorities in Lave. You should have an audience with the Hornswythe Vigil. Tell them everything you have just told me. Much of your tale is disturbing, especially the news of this dismemberment in the road.”

Stone waits while Grilliam writes the letter, and then returns to the inn.

Much of our clothing was destroyed in the battle at the Freehold, the ten-day spent in the swamp, and the battle at the Shrine. Individually, we all make a pass through the tailor’s, each placing an order for fresh clothing. Fortunately, the tailor has things which require only alterations for us; they can be ready the next morning for a slightly higher price.

In the evening, we all gather back at the inn. Stone spends the evening in the inn yard, surrounded by kids who delight in alternating hero-worship of him with terror of the half-orc.

“Fox,” Telryn asks, over dinner. “Would anyone in Southport have magical scrolls for sale?”

“No,” the half-elf tells him. “We’re too small for that sort of traffic. Maybe I can recommend some shops in Lave.” Telryn notes the shops he recommends.

Fox turns to Dorin. “You look familiar,” he says. “May I ask of which clan you are?”

“I am Dorin Silvershield, of the Silvershield clan,” the dwarf says proudly. “I am cousin to Thorin Silvershield, who I believe is one of your former companions.”

“Yes!” Fox exclaims, clearly delighted. “And how is Thorin these days?”

Dorin responds enthusiastically, and soon he and Fox are deep in a swap of stories. Eventually, the dwarf decides to stay in Southport for awhile. Fox suggests that he can get a job working with Saylis, the local smith, to get some money together before he goes back west to Burok Torn.

When dinner is over, and the inn is quieting, Miriel tells us a very brief bit about her visit. “I am leaving for Lave in the morning,” she says. “I hope you all will accompany me. Verenia had some messages to relay, prophecy I believe. Chuck, she said to tell you, ‘Beware the Serpent in the Fold! It’s bite will be deadly and unexpected!’ ”

Chuck nods, and she turns to Stone. “To you, monk, she would say, ‘Beware the Huntsman! The hunter and the hunted can swap roles quickly. Do not be the recipient of the fatal blow!’ ”

Stone gives a brief laugh. “Good advice,” he says.

Fox looks to Chuck, and says, “If you do go on to Lave, the commander of the Vigilant group, Thorn, is another of my old companions. Give him my warmest regards.”

Chuck looks around, and says, “I think I speak for all of us, when I say we will go. Goldpetal?”

The elf gives a nod. “I will accompany you,” he says.

As we stand to go back to our rooms, Miriel stays behind for a moment, and gives Fox a handful of coins, fifty gold pieces. “For all the room and board you’ve given us,” she says.

Fox smiles warmly. “Thank you kindly,” he says. “I had a feeling my investments in you would pay off.”

Goldpetal leaves as the rest of us go to our rooms, to spend part of the night exploring the hills in his new-found form of the panther, and part of the night resting and meditating at the clearing he had prepared during our first visit.

The next morning, the second Hedraday of Madrer, we head out early for Lave. On the way out of town, we all stop to pick up the new clothes we had ordered the previous day. Stone also picks up the new boots he had commissioned the previous month. We set out, northwards, in high spirits.

Fergus

First Post
Graywolf-ELM said:
So, is someone happy that they are finally out of the swamp?

GW
Ha! :) *laugh*

Definitely a welcome sentiment to all involved. I think I recall Telryn's player doing a happy dance. *grin*

Fulcan

First Post
Telryns happiness to be out of the swamp showed no bounds. Matter of fact, if it wasn't for the fact that he kept obtaining scrolls and magical treasure through adventuring more quickly than he ever thought was possible he probably would have quit this adventuring gig as soon as they reached Lave so that he could return to his wonderfully dry library. But, you know what they say about curiosity...

Amaroq

Community Supporter
Issue #17: Interludes and Intermissions - Episode 8 of 13

It takes a day and a half of travel, as the road winds along the river’s edge, to reach Lave. We journey without incident, enjoying the crisp fall air. It is Wildday, the thirteenth day of the month.

As we draw near the great Veshian city, Telryn tells us some of its history. “Lave used to be the capitol of an old Ledean province,” he says. “Before the Divine War, when the Ledean Empire collapsed, Vesh declared independence and Lave became the capitol of Vesh.”

When we come into view, we can see a sprawling city of nearly 30,000 people. It has some old stone architecture and also the modern architecture of wood and plaster. The outer part is a sprawl of wooden houses, and there seem to be no central points. Surveying it, Paks tells the rest of us, “It’s so exposed and undefended, and the walls are pathetic. This would be a terrible place to defend in a war.”

Telryn answers, “That’s why its changed hands so many times. It’s a big trading city, not a point of defense.” We can see that there is a lot of traffic on the river, and all along the riverfront, the docks are busy and thriving. The city spreads in a half-oval away from the Hornswythe River, with the river-front surface being the longest side. The outskirts of the city are outside the walls, which are sprawling and poorly kept: there are few places where they are even eight feet tall.

We can see several aqueducts leading into the city. Chuck looks a little confused. “Why are there aqueducts, if its on a river?” he asks.

Miriel chuckles. “The river water is no good to drink,” she tells us. “We have to get our water from central Vesh.”

We work our way through the outer edges of the city, and arrive at the gates: They are more ceremonial than functional, finely wrought with gold inlay rather than sturdy iron, and flanked by two statues of Tanil with her bow drawn, one on either side of the gate. The guards standing watch over the busy gate seem bored and distracted, and we gain entry without challenge.

Just inside the gates, we decide to split up: its early afternoon, and everybody has different errands to run throughout town. Miriel wants to go directly to the cathedral, and Paks and Telryn decide to accompany her. Stone wants to find a temple of Hedrada, and Chuck wishes to find the money changers; they, too, decide to go together. Goldpetal opts to go on to secure room at Miriel’s family’s Inn, the Sleeping Dragon. Miriel gives everyone directions, and go our separate ways.

Goldpetal finds the Sleeping Dragon Inn easily. It is opposite a bustling square, which is filled with a farmer’s market today. The Inn is easy to find, as there is a big sign with a sleeping dragon next to a turned over barrel of beer. Though it is only afternoon, the inn is packed, and nobody gives a lone elf coming through the door a second glance.

Goldpetal finds a serving girl, and says, “I’m a friend of Miriel. Is her family here?”

The serving girl rushes off to fetch Miriel’s adopted parents, and shortly they both approach him; he still waits, awkwardly, at the door. Miriel’s parents are both human; the man is tall and barrel-chested, and his arms bulge with muscle. “You are a friend of Miriel? Welcome! Welcome! Come in, come in. Here, you, make room!” the man exclaims, in a deep, booming voice, guiding Goldpetal to a table hastily cleared by a few other patrons.

“I am Clay, and this is my wife, Kendra. Here, sit down, have a beer – we make it ourselves.” The couple sit with Goldpetal, and the serving girl places a stein before him on the table.

“How is Miriel?” asks Kendra, “We haven’t heard from her in weeks! Is she well?”

Goldpetal takes a sip from the beer – which is excellent, the best he has tasted since leaving home – and begins his story. Not one to make a long tale, he keeps it brief, leaving most of the details for others to tell later. Even so the telling of the siege of Kratys Freehold and our counter-attack takes nearly an hour.

When he has finished, Clay rises and excuses himself. “Thank you for the telling,” he says. “Now I must get back to work!”

Kendra remains with her guest, and asks “Have you heard from her sister, Liriel?”

“No, I have heard nothing of her,” the elf answers. He glances from her to Clay, now working behind the bar, noticing that neither of them looks anything like Miriel. They look like typical Veshians, with dark hair and olive skin. “Why are you...” he starts, then seems to change his question. “That is, I understood she was half-elven?”

Kendra laughs and answers, “She and her sister were foundlings.”

As they are chatting, he hears someone call “Goldpetal? Goldpetal!” from the crowd. The voice is familiar, heavily accented, though he cannot place it.

He turns around, and sees that it’s a tall woman, wearing only a bikini and a gold-embroidered cloak. She has magnificent red hair, but is otherwise rather loud and unattractive. She has a black bat sitting on her right shoulder. Goldpetal does not look thrilled. “Brunhilde,” he says, in a flat voice.

She doesn’t seem to notice his discomfort, and gives him a huge, enthusiastic hug. “How good to see you!” she shouts in his ear. “How is everyone?”

“Fine, fine,” he says, trying to disengage himself from the hug. “They’ll all be here soon.”

“How delightful!” she says, and sits at the table, to Goldpetal’s evident distaste. She quickly dominates the conversation, talking his ear off, asking about his adventures, and, though he does not ask, telling him all about hers.

When Brunhilde pauses for a deep draught of ale, Kendra glances at Goldpetal. “I’m so surprised to hear that Miriel has had adventures,” she says. “She wasn’t very good at making the beer!”

Goldpetal takes advantage of the moment to ask Kendra for rooms for the party for the night. “Certainly, certainly,” she answers. “Any friend of Miriel’s is welcome here at the Inn, and we’ve rooms free.” She rises and excuses herself, pleading responsibility for cooking

Brunhilde launches into another story, which Goldpetal endures with good grace and patience.

Stone and Chuck find a small square, where there are three trading houses, the money changers. The largest one belongs to the House Asuras.

Chuck looks at it with suspicion. “The House of Mered also has a good reputation,” he offers, taking a step towards the next largest building.

Stone punches him in the shoulder. “No, House Asuras. Let’s check it out.” The half-orc begins to walk into the House Asuras building, and Chuck follows reluctantly.

It’s a bustling trading house, swarming with armed guards, not just at the door, but patrolling throughout. The guards eye the half-orc suspiciously, but Chuck is given directions to the money changer’s table.

The fat man behind the table does not look up to acknowledge them, which prompts Stone to slam his palms against the table. “We’d like to change some money,” he says loudly.

The money changer starts, then looks them over with a measuring glance. “Adventurers, right?”

“No,” Chuck says, shaking his head. “No, actually, treasure hunters.”

“Well,” the money changer says, spreading his arms wide. “Its lucky you came here! We have special deal, only 10% to exchange coins.”

“Sounds good,” says Stone, hefting his sack up onto the table.

The usurer hardly bats an eye at the quantity of coinage, and starts to examine the coins. He looks up, looking Chuck in the eye. “These are really old,” he says. “Most of them are from before the Titans’ War. They’re not much use, but we could melt them down. I’m going to have to pay you for their weight in ore, rather than their count as coins.”

“Fair enough,” Chuck replies.

Stone pulls out the cheap gems and the garnet. “What will you give me for these?” he asks.

The money changer draws out a small loupe, the magnifying glass used to inspect gems, and studies them. “I can give you about five gold pieces each for these,” he says, “And a hundred fifty for the garnet.”

Stone nods, “Done.”

“You guys are lucky you came here,” the money changer says, and then adds with a sly smile, “And didn’t get the tax on adventuring.”

“We’d like that in platinum,” Stone tells him.

Again, the money changer doesn’t bat an eye. He pulls out a chest, and counts out 70 platinum pieces for Stone. He turns, and shouts over his shoulder, “Bring up some more platinum from the basement!”

As the two adventurers head out the door, they split up. Stone heads off to the temple of Hedrada, while Chuck makes for the temple of Tanil.

Chuck wanders through the streets of Lave, taking in the sights, and asks a passerby for the temple of Tanil. He is pointed to the park, Tanil’s Court, and walks there. It is a large park, spanning several blocks at the center of the city.

The park is open to the air, filled with animal topiaries. Near the center, there is a great bronze statue of Tanil leaning on her bow, with her fox at her feet. The base of the statue is a shrine, where people have left flowers, burning candles, and other sacrifices. Nobles and townsfolk alike walk around, some talking, others sitting on benches, and there are a few people praying at the shrine.

Chuck meanders through the park towards the statue, enjoying the afternoon sun. When he reaches the shrine, he kneels and prays. He is silent for a long time, and then prays aloud. “Tanil,” he says, “I’ve had some bad luck, and I need some help.” There are no answers, but he feels much lighter of heart, warmed by the sun and his time in the park. He leaves his dice as an offering, and turns to leave.

He walks out via a different path than that which he entered by, and it takes him past a duck pond. He finds it irresistible, and stops to speak with the ducks for a while. Sadly, they speak a foreign language, a different dialect of duck. He enjoys his conversation with them anyway. People stare at him oddly.

When he finally leaves, he goes to a weapon shop to unload some of his extra weaponry. Among other things, he sells the large whip-sword which we captured during the battle for Kratys Freehold.

Stone searches the town for a long while, searching for the temple of Hedrada. He is unable to find it without asking for directions, which it takes him several hours to break down and do. When he finally arrives, he finds that the temple is very modest, much smaller than Grilliam’s temple to Hedrada in Southport.

Four priests are present, in the large chamber. They politely welcome him. He says little to the priests, but kneels at the altar and prays.

When he has completed his prayer, he leaves, again with little conversation. He wanders through the streets of the town during the afternoon, distracted by all the many sights. He buys a lot of “exotic” (to him) foods, and discovers that he loves cheeses.

Remove ads