• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Shadar-kai are NEVER going to be the next drow

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
Umbran said:
How force-fed can they be if people active on a major site devoted to the game haven't heard of them?

Good points, Umbran. I've not only never heard of the shadar-kai, I don't even know about this "major site devoted to the game" you mentioned. Maybe I'm just way too obtuse.

Shroomy

Adventurer
I'm not completely sure that the 4e and 3e shadar-kai are exactly the same creature anymore. For instance, the 4e shadar-kai is no longer a fey creature.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Kaorti would be my top choice as best, most interesting new villains from that version of the book. I've always liked the Far Realms. I think the more I read, the more I like.

The Ethergaunt and ShadarKai are about equal in my mind. They play very different roles (in my head, no campaign right now), but are both interesting. I can see how to use both of them.

Erik, yes, James beat you on this one, but you aren't that far behind. We just need a few well done 'gaunt minis and a good adventure, and you'll pass him (unitl they do a Kaorti mini and adventure, but how do you make a Kaorti mini look all that interesting?).

One advantage the Kaorti have is all the related monsters, that aren't Kaorti themselves (unlike the "related" creatures also being 'gaunts).

hamishspence

Adventurer
Shadar kai as shades

the new version of the shadar kai soulds a lot like Faerun's Shades, rulers of the Shadovar people. If this is indeed the way they will go, will it give them traction? shades have appeared in multiple novels and adventurers, and are the star villains of the last big FR adventurer, wheras i've never read a shadar-kai novel. Or, maybe, they are a darker, creepier version of the illumians, who also have a big base in the Plane of Shadow.

The Eternal GM

First Post
Kaorti stood out to me, as did the Ethergaunts. The E.G's suffered only because they existed as a big threat even in their level band, but the fluff and concept was top-notch. The Kaorti were pretty good, though tier pet creatures less so.

Shadar-Kai... Nah, no traction for our group really. They've been bypassed for enemies a handful of times and skipped as monster player characters too. They aren't bad... but not stand out either, there's just something missing from them (y'know, aside from a better name obviously...)

jodyjohnson

Adventurer
What the Shadar-kai need is uber gear so players want to fight them more.

Drow and Githyanki were always great to fight because when you killed them you got some very good gear (even if it decayed or earned the vengeance of the githyanki empire).

At least at our table it was always about the loot and not the fluff.

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
jodyjohnson said:
What the Shadar-kai need is uber gear so players want to fight them more.

Drow and Githyanki were always great to fight because when you killed them you got some very good gear (even if it decayed or earned the vengeance of the githyanki empire).

At least at our table it was always about the loot and not the fluff.
Five words: racial proficiency with spiked chains.

Demiurge out.

I don't know if the Shadar-kai will be the "New Drow" yet. I really hope not. Drows became a bit tiresome and ridiculous after several attempts to attack the surface world, always defeated by groups of 4-6 adventurers with a knack for violence. And a chaotic evil society where everyone kills everyone else just because he shows signs of incompetence? That's like a mix of everything that was stupid about Darth Vader (Episode IV-VI) and the Klingon culture.

Ask me again whether the Shadar-Kai are the "new Drow" after they third adventure where the PCs have to stop them conquering the world or important nation.

If they remain in the Shadowfell, only leaving it to hunt down some magical items or, don't know, collect some souls for the Raven Queen, and are not one-sided, clichéd villains but also reluctant allies from time to time, they might actually have a chance.

Off course, I have no idea what the Kaorti or the Ethergaunt are, so maybe these are way cooler.

Derro

First Post
demiurge1138 said:
Five words: racial proficiency with spiked chains.

Nothing says cheese like racial proficiency in a cheesey weapon. Why not just give them mercurial greatswords and be done with it.

I think that, to me, the shadar-kai just smacks of trying too hard. Anyway, I'm done complaining. I'm gonna start a thread about monsters I like.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads