The Shadar-kai are NEVER going to be the next drow

JoeGKushner

First Post
I remember reading an ecology of article on these guys and thinking, "Where did they come from."

I've seen 'em used a few more times.

Does it seem like WoTC is trying to make the next "great" enemy race? The next gith? The next drow?

Give it up. If the GMs and players haven't taken 'em up already, it's too late.

Opinions?

Darrin Drader

Explorer
Shadar-Kai? Is this some invention from Monster Manual IV and V? I'm completely unfamiliar with them.

I do think its worthwhile for them to try to invest something in giving us some new notorious badasses to play around with. Since 2003, I've become a kaorti fanboy myself. There's plenty of room for new enemy races, so I say go for it.

ivocaliban

First Post
Whisperfoot said:
Shadar-Kai? Is this some invention from Monster Manual IV and V? I'm completely unfamiliar with them.

I do think its worthwhile for them to try to invest something in giving us some new notorious badasses to play around with. Since 2003, I've become a kaorti fanboy myself. There's plenty of room for new enemy races, so I say go for it.

Actually, the Shadar-Kai are from the Fiend Folio. Which, if I'm not mistaken, is the same book in which the Kaorti appear.

Last edited:

the Jester

Legend
Yup, Fiend Folio it is.

The shadar-kai are actually really cool. The way they taken negative levels if they go dazed, unconscious, etc. makes for some really creepy flavor if you play it up, imho. Suddenly, color spray is lethal!

Darrin Drader

Explorer
ivocaliban said:
Actually, the Shadar-Kai are from the Fiend Folio. Which, if I'm not mistaken, is the same book in which the Kaorti appear.

D'oh! :heh:

OK, I looked them up and I have to agree with Joe. They're not the worst thing I've ever seen, but they would have to come up with some seriously cool setting specific stuff to make them a worthwhile uber-villain.

Last edited:

Shemeska

Adventurer
Taking a race that players and DMs find cool and evocative and giving us more of them is cool (something that should have happened with the absolutely awesome Ethergaunts - also from the 3e FF).

But with the shadar-kai I really get the sense that it was declared that they would be the next evil thing to link in with the implied flavor packaged along with 4e's design, and by promoting them heavily they would become what had already been decided was to be the case in 4e. It seems a bit heavy handed.

WotC talked about designing races with "traction" before. They did it with the drow, a bit less successfully with the githyanki... and it looks to me the shadar-kai aren't going to pull it off.

Remove ads