D&D 5E "The so-called '5-Minute Workday' is Something I've Seen Regularly Playing 5E D&D" (a poll)

True or False: "The so-called '5-Minute Workday' is Something I've Seen Regularly Playing 5E D&D"

• True.

Votes: 43 31.6%
  • True, but not since I instituted a house rule.

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • False.

Votes: 86 63.2%

FireLance

Legend
Hilariously, getting rid of short rests in favor of long rests (the suspected plan for 5.5) does absolutely nothing to resolve this lol.

I've actually started to dabble in homebrew to do the opposite for my own games. Pulling back full caster spells and setting everyone to either 'per encounter or 'at will.'

Currently for full casters it's 2 cantrip slots (ala 3E, but stronger and with some scaling) and 1 spell slot gained of the highest level they can cast gained at each character level. So 1: 0/0/1 | 2: 0/0/1/1 | 3: 0/0/1/1/2 etc

Only playtested it a little, but so far it's working well.

EDIT: To clarify, spellcasters don't instantly regain their spells but I don't have a short rest mechanic sorted out either. Since nobody's asked to play a spontaneous caster yet, I've just been rolling with 1 minute to prepare a spell + 1 minute per level of the spell. (0=1, 1 =2 etc)
If you're curious about my take on this issue, you can read about it here: The hit point model of resource recovery

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Wow.

I’ve gamed over vtt for twenty years and, of course, I’ve seen the odd asshat but nothing even remotely close to this.

My experience with online play is nothing like what you’ve described.
I stopped running games with random people online largely because of similar experiences. This was well before the pandemic and on a site where the gaming was play-by-post. That prompted me to substantially narrow my field to a more focused site initially, then down to just playing (not running) PFS, to finally just running online things for friends or for specific conventions during the pandemic. The less controlled the approach, the more you get problem players with whom you will just not get along - whether it's the player who just claims magic items to keep his magic item value up whether or not he can actually use them, or the player who will constantly nag at you to play something not on offer when he agreed to play in the game you were running, or even the player who is adamant that his PC will act in a particular way that is contrary to the group and/or setup and yet can't seem to come up with a character that will fit in.

Remove ads