D&D (2024) The sorcerer shouldn't exist

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
That would be precisely what I classify as the transmundane. It is beyond what is possible in our reality. It is not beyond what is possible in a fantastical reality. Spellcasting, godly miracles, the primal power of nature-spirits, etc., these things are the well-understood but still supernatural elements of these characters' world. The stuff a Fighter does can ascend beyond the ordinary, and yet not into the outright supernatural. That grey-area between definitely, unequivocally pedestrian and definitely, unequivocally magical.
That's all fine with me, but I'd still prefer some language to that effect in the book.

Micah Sweet

like yeah, if you ignore thor's lightning near the latter part of this fight (and that thor's a god and hulk's genetically modified, i'm aware that doesn't help the arguement that martials don't need to be supernatural to do this but they're not really doing anything supernatural, weapon attacks, grapples, leaping, punches and throws, and maybe in a DnD world this is just what regular people can achieve) this is the sort of thing that feels like what two high level martials going against each other should feel like, you totally believe either of these two could go toe-to-toe with a dragon and come out on top(not really too different to when hulk takes on one of those skyscraper chitauri worm things in the first avengers, he plants himself against something 100 times his size and it crumples against him), and it doesn't feel like either of them would've relied on any supernatural or magical abilities to do it, just strength, skill and steel.
I have no problem with a combat like that from high level martials, but the characters clearly have a supernatural source for their strength, speed and endurance. Both characters rely on Asgardian or Gamma-enhanced might to let them pull that stuff off.

CreamCloud0

One day, I hope to actually play DnD.
I have no problem with a combat like that from high level martials, but the characters clearly have a supernatural source for their strength, speed and endurance. Both characters rely on Asgardian or Gamma-enhanced might to let them pull that stuff off.
hey can i ask something of you that i've been wondering? what do you actually hope to achieve by keep insisting that fighters and rogues need to rely on the blood of gods or magic or radiation or supernatural enhancements to do anything worthwhile? rule it that way in your own game but what's the endgame of telling us over and over that they NEED this supernatural element to satisfy your suspension of disbelief or aparrent lack thereof in DnD.

hey can i ask something of you that i've been wondering? what do you actually hope to achieve by keep insisting that fighters and rogues need to rely on the blood of gods or magic or radiation or supernatural enhancements to do anything worthwhile? rule it that way in your own game but what's the endgame of telling us over and over that they NEED this supernatural element to satisfy your suspension of disbelief or aparrent lack thereof in DnD.
I was waiting for this moment.

Micah Sweet

I'd just like someone to admit that the book doesn't say everyone is superhuman.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
D&d is a game filled with magic and magical equipment. The difference between magically enhanced combatants like that clip shows or basically magical Clarketech enhanced combatants like Ironman & Batman often is and totally mundane nonmagic combatants operating at that level is that the former is already relying on magic and magical items while the later can still add those things to crack the system in two when it completely blows past any reasonable benchmarks with the same magic and magical items

CreamCloud0

One day, I hope to actually play DnD.
I'd just like someone to admit that the book doesn't say everyone is superhuman.
but it basically does say that, 'there is a degree of magic that is a fundamental component of all things that can no more be dispelled than the wind or the rain', 'ki is an element of magic that infuses all living things', i don't know how you can read those statements and come away with 'fighters/rogues aren't superhuman in DnD because it doesn't explicitly say in their descriptions that they're magic'

Vaalingrade

Legend
Because this game of magic elves and dragons needs to be realistic in this one specific situation of 'strong man hit things'.

Remove ads