D&D 5E The Strongest Poisoner. New Tasha's Gish

Hohige

Explorer
I've tried twice to read the OP and it continues to make no sense. I don't understand what is being proposed here or why it is good. It does not help that the OP is trying to make a big dramatic production out of it, complete with artwork. Could we maybe get the proposed build summarized in 3 modest-length paragraphs without formatting?

As best I can understand, it seems to involve stacking a lot of ways to re-roll attacks and boost your hit chance. Which... I mean, yeah, you can do that, but why? Diminishing returns kick in fast on that sort of thing. Simple advantage typically gets you close to 90% accurate already, and the difference between 90% and 100% is fairly small.

Advantage is at maximum 64% chance to hit against 20 AC. The build gets around 96% chance to hit.

The key of build is... Defeat (Poison and Attack) or Disable (Attack and Sleep) the enemy on single turn.

As a action: applying poison
As a bonus action: Quicken Booming Blade with really amazing chance to hit.
Purple Worm Poison + Booming blade is around 60ish damage.

Why is the character good?
1) No other class can do it. Highest precision ever, disable enemies to easily, spells as bonus action, enemies has disadvantage against him and can't cast spells.

2) In the middle of the fight, his attack is fatal (Sleep or Poison) and accurate with almost zero chance of surviving.

Last edited:

Shadow Sorcerer's eye of the darkness allows him to see through Magical Darkness and combo really amazing with Elven Accuracy for triple advantage.

There is no triple advantage, as far as I know, because neither advantage nor disadvantage stack. You can have 5 different sources giving you advantage at one time and you still only roll 2d20.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Not exactly. When you have advantage and roll your 2d20, elven accuracy allows you to reroll one of the two dice. Sure, some people say just roll 3d20, but that is not how it works by the rule.
It’s functionally 3d20.

The build is fine. If you have unlimited access to poison, it’ll be really effective in combat against enemies that aren’t resistant/immune to poison, which as far as things to build around go... umm... is one. It also has the same problem as every Darkness/Devil’s Sight build, which is that it falls apart as soon as there are any other characters on your side that don’t also have Devil’s Sight.

Worrgrendel

Explorer
The Half-Elf Shadow Sorcerer level 5.

The most lethal scorpion[/B][/CENTER]

Action: Apply Poison.

Bonus action: Quicken Booming Blade (19 average damage + Poison effects) with almost 100% chance to hit. Choose your poison effect ... Did you imagine a Purple Worm Poison?

You can repeat this, every turn

I noticed you utterly failed to list the price of Purple Worm Poison: 2000 gp PER dose. If you have a DM supplying you with unlimited Purple Worm Poison (you did say you could do this every turn) your DM is a complete failure. If you have say an average of 3 rounds of combat per fight and 4-5 fights per day that would cost you about 24,000 - 30,000 gp PER adventuring day in resources. Pretty sure that’s above the pay grade of 5th level adventurers and the supply level of any fantasy world. Nor would I think a party of 5th level adventurers has found an unlimited hunting ground and is farming Purple Worms either. This type of “theory crafting” is a farce.

Dausuul

Legend
[
I noticed you utterly failed to list the price of Purple Worm Poison: 2000 gp PER dose. If you have a DM supplying you with unlimited Purple Worm Poison (you did say you could do this every turn) your DM is a complete failure. If you have say an average of 3 rounds of combat per fight and 4-5 fights per day that would cost you about 24,000 - 30,000 gp PER adventuring day in resources. Pretty sure that’s above the pay grade of 5th level adventurers and the supply level of any fantasy world. Nor would I think a party of 5th level adventurers has found an unlimited hunting ground and is farming Purple Worms either. This type of “theory crafting” is a farce.
Well, to be fair, these 5th-level adventurers seem to face AC 20 foes on a regular basis. Maybe they stumbled into a gonzo epic-level campaign by accident.

The build is fine.

It relies on expending a Slot (and concentration) for Darkness (2nd level), which also takes your Action, then using a 3rd level slot to upcast Sleep, 2 SP to quicken Sleep, and 2 more SP to Unerring Spell Booming blade.

1 round set up, and a 3rd level slot, a 2nd level slot and 4 sorcery points.

I guess if you have a lot of single encounter adventuring days, on your own, in combat with other PCs, who are not immune to sleep and cant see in magical darkness, it's niche.

I'm not 100 percent sure unerring spell works with weapon attacks either (which the booming blade attack is). The meta-magic is worded weird ('if you make an attack roll for a spell and miss... instead of 'if you make a spell attack roll...'), and it could be interpreted either way.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases