The Suicide Squad (Spoilers after OP)

Stalker0

Legend
I'm aware there are differences.

I'd be curious to see how many people in the general audience know that, or even realized that it isn't the same character.

You have two movies in a series, named pretty much the same thing, both centered around roles which were written very similarly.

I'm ashamed to admit that, even as a comic fan, I needed to Google to be 100% certain whether or not Idris was playing the character from the first movie or not. It doesn't help that it's not always clear whether or not this movie is a sequel or not.
What about it would not make it a sequel I guess Is my question.

we have returning characters, tbe original plot from the first one is never directly contradicted, the returning characters clearly know and remember each other.

i didn’t see a single thing in the movie that suggested it was a remake.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member

we have returning characters, tbe original plot from the first one is never directly contradicted, the returning characters clearly know and remember each other.

Yeah, it seems pretty sequel-like to me!

Argyle King

Legend

To a casual viewer, I'm not sure that the difference between "Suicide Squad" and "The Suicide Squad" is easily distinguished.

Even as somebody who watched the first movie, I don't remember enough about it to know if or what carried over. You have a point about characters having some established familiarity with each other, but that's true of a lot of movies.

Putting myself in the shoes of someone seeing a movie or a set of characters for the first time or being maybe casually familiar with them a second time, I don't feel that this movie makes the connection as well as other franchises (or even other comic movies directed by James Gunn).

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
I must say that I cringed a little every time I heard the name of the island. I mean, I'm sure it's intended as a homage to Hugo Pratt, but still an island named after a character in a different fictional universe was somewhat jarring for me.
Yes its a homage to Hugo Pratt.
1628717459518.png

The name Corto Maltese Island was first used in the Dark Knight comics where it is the site of a recent US-backed revolution (and something like Cuba Missile Crisis). Its also site of a Lexcorp lab. It appeared in the 1989 Batman movie and was also mentioned in CW Arrow - iirc Thea lived there in the first series and the Arrow crew do at least one adventure there

To a casual viewer, I'm not sure that the difference between "Suicide Squad" and "The Suicide Squad" is easily distinguished.

Even as somebody who watched the first movie, I don't remember enough about it to know if or what carried over. You have a point about characters having some established familiarity with each other, but that's true of a lot of movies.

Putting myself in the shoes of someone seeing a movie or a set of characters for the first time or being maybe casually familiar with them a second time, I don't feel that this movie makes the connection as well as other franchises (or even other comic movies directed by James Gunn).

Its a sequel - they have Captain Boomerang, Harley, Rick Flag and Waller as returning characters, they dont have the need to explain the suicide squad premise to the audience and the fate of Boomerang works best if its a sequel.

Of course the first movie is complete rubbish so having this movie being an entirely different approach isnt at all surprising. But its no more a reboot than Thor Ragnarok was a reboot of the Thor movies.

Bloodsport is also a much better character with a better story than Will Smith-shot
plus its Idris Elba bruv

Last edited:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I must say that I cringed a little every time I heard the name of the island. I mean, I'm sure it's intended as a homage to Hugo Pratt, but still an island named after a character in a different fictional universe was somewhat jarring for me.
It's been in the DC universe for years.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
So I've learned. I have never read any of the comics.
Not that it matters, but it has been mentioned on screen too. Batman 1989, it was where Vicky Vale took all those photos that the Joker loved so much.

(edit -- ah just noticed @Tonguez has well and truly beaten me to it!)

While the movie was entertaining, it wasn't great. The plot is messy, and the humor is very hit or miss (mostly miss). I did find myself really enjoying Ratcatcher 2 the most. This is one of those movies that you don't need to see. And honestly, I liked Birds of Prey better.

Remove ads