The Sundering Begins - "The Companions" by R.A. Salvatore (spoilers)

variant

Adventurer
The only thing good that came out of 4e was not having Bruenor, Regis and Catti-Brie as characters anymore. Of course, I only heard about that from other sources because I no longer read Salvatore's books. He started jumping the shark when Wulfgar 'died' and went to hell and the shark jump was complete with the first chapter of The Orc King.

delericho

Legend
The true test will come with whatever books he writes afterwards. This one worked fine (for what it was), but I couldn't really tell where he'd take the characters next.

That's fair. I remember being very disappointed with his "Thousand Orcs" trilogy, which turned out to be very much a setup for his next series - but then enjoyed "The Orc King" a whole lot more, mostly because it proceeded to pay off on a lot of the stuff he'd set up.

Lord Blackstone

First Post
Just finished this book tonight... I actually loved it. I haven't read a FR novel in years and knocked it out of the park for me. Time to go back and catch up I guess... Great effing read.

I marked out so hard at the very end...

Last edited:

Dire Bare

Legend
My overall opinion is similar to MerricB's. An enjoyable read, but a problematic story. Pretty much the way I feel about most of Salvatore's Drizzt stories.

An issue I've had with the past eight or so novels in the "Legend of Drizzt" series (which "The Companions" is certainly a part of) is they have all been "transition" novels. First we have the actual "Transitions" trilogy, followed by the "Neverwinter" quadrilogy (is that the right word?) and now "The Companions". All eight books have been a long slogging transition from 3E to 4E to 5E, both for the Realms and Drizzt. I'd like Bob to write a thrilling adventure story next, that would be a change!

And while I found the story overall entertaining, I too groaned when I realized Salvatore was resurrecting Drizzt's main supporting characters. The promise of the earlier "Neverwinter" series seemed to be about Drizzt finding new companions, but not-so-much I guess.

And I hate, HATE Salvatore's stupid dwarven joke names. In this book it's Bruenor's new father whose nick-name is Arr Arr, making Bruenor's alter ego "Little Arr Arr". I was grinding my teeth each time the name came up. In fact, I really disliked Bruenor's entire arc in the novel, he was basically an ungrateful jack-ass until the last chapter or so.

Despite the stupid resurrection plot, I did enjoy Regis' and Catti-brie's story arcs, at least once they all got past toddler-hood. Salvatore has them all reincarnated as infants, but with full and complete memories of who they are as the doctor's pulled them out and slapped their asses. Awkward and terrible adult-in-a-baby's-body humor in the first few chapters, especially for Bruenor. None of the characters consider their new lives "real" and their new familes "real", even though they do come to care for their "fake" parents (but not as parents).

It's a odd story, with sooooo much wrong with it, but yet still an enjoyable read. Salvatore conflicts me so! :)

Remove ads