The Tol Haggerun Prophecy - 3.5 D&D [Ended]

Insight

Adventurer
This is the IN CHARACTER thread for the Tol Haggerun Prophecy game. All in-character posts should be made here.

Please post any questions or out of game comments to the OOC thread.

Last edited:

Insight

Adventurer
We are now ready to get started. Please remember that during this initial period, your characters are not together. Additional instructions about starting off have been emailed to each of you. Please email me directly any questions you may have about your individual intro emails.

Only your character's actions and dialogue should be posted in this thread.

Ambrus

Explorer
Jacoby of Amberlea

Jacoby awakens but yet remains still in his bed for a good while. He recalls the details of his dream and how they seem to reflect the recent events of his life:

A dragon whoose coming brings gifts of treasure, treasure that threatens to crush me beneath its great weight... I've been receiving a lot of gifts recently since I've told people of my intentions. Old man Boldor gave me the shirt of mail he'd earned while serving as a scout in the King's army back during the war. My friend Kako has given me his late gaffer's old metal cap. Marko the cabinet-maker has turned a new yew lance for me on his lathe. Pali the cobbler gifted me with a new set of fine leather riding boots. The Elders had a new shield made for their "dragon-slayer". Boti the seamstress has fashioned me a heavy new tunic and her daughter Drina has lovingly made me a red traveling cloak with many pockets. Drina... Everyone is so grateful for what they think I've done, and the gift giving just goes on and on... Even my gaffer has given me his own saddle and leash and the bitch Amber for my own. My gammer is probably weaving a flower wreath for Vahra's blessing right now... I feel like I'm getting crushed by their charity, like in my dream. And like in the dream, although the coins are on fire, they don't burn me because it's something that I've brought upon myself. This is what I chose; to be like the knight was...

Jacoby will rise, greet his family and set about his morning chores: feeding the dogs and cleaning the kennels. Afterwards, he'll spend a few hours training Amber to keep steady in the midst of a stressful situation. They'll practice their teamwork as Jacoby tries to guide her with his knees. When he finally breaks for lunch, he'll approach his father to tell him about his intentions:

"Pa, I think it's getting on to when I should be going. My arm's nearly healed up and everyone's given me all that I'll need to get along. I asked Kako and he said he'd help you out until the harvest is in this fall... I think it's the time to go, I had a dream last night. I saw a silver dragon. I don't know if it means anything, but the Powers' messenger is said to be silver and winged so maybe it means something. There are places out there, village like ours that are in danger like ours was. People like us who need help. I've got to try and help them. I saw a Luiren chapel I didn't recognize in my dream. It was high in the mountains where it was snowing. I was thinking I should head north into Luiren where it's colder. I'll head up river through Cadwynn's Pass into Lurien. There's an old trackway up there that the King built during the war. I should be able to take shelter in some of the abandoned watchposts along the way. Maybe I'll find the chapel, or maybe I'll just find some people who need help. I... I just think it's getting on to when I should be going. I'll be setting off in the morning."

Jacoby's intention is to spend the rest of the day packing his things and saying goodbye to his family and friends. He'll tell people about his plan if they're curious and he'll listen to any advice they have to offer him, although he won't mention anything about Amberlea burning. In the morning, he'll set off to head upriver. Once he's a leagues or two out of town he'll stop and spend a few hours training Amber before resuming his journey into the pass. He'll try to hunt some small game along the way with her help, using his sling with some river stones to bring it down.

What Jacoby is thinking
What Jacoby says

amberleamap15na.jpg

Jacoby's intended route.

Last edited:

Evil Ujio

First Post
The Burning Rose

Misha wakes up with a splitting headache, not from drinking, which he didn’t do, but from the dream. He runs his hands through his dark hair and rubs his eyes as he stumbles to the wash bowl and cleans his face. He looks at his reflection and sets to the daily task of hygiene putting the dream from his mind… work had been slow and being a sword for hire, one with scruples at least did not make things any easier.

“28 gold,” he mutters to himself, “I wonder how far that would get me?” he says to no one in particular.

“Did you say something?” a woman’s voice rouses Misha from his thoughts. He turns to see the barmaid holding the blanket close to her with a lazy morning smile on her face, a peasant beauty to be sure.

Misha begins to don his clothing and armor, “Nothing, don’t you worry your pretty head about it,” he smiles trying to change the subject. The dream, I have to try and figure out what that dream was, it wasn’t… normal. No not at all, something tells me I should take this to Father Joseph and seek his wisdom. Could it be a sign? How presumptuous of me to think that some great beneficent being would give me a sign… probably nerves… but the faces.

“Are you listening to me,” she purrs into his ears. Misha blinks, he hadn’t even noticed that the barmaid had her arms around him, and was speaking to him.

“Of course,” Misha jokes.

“Then what did I say?”

Misha laughs, “I don’t know, I am sorry just distracted…” he says truthfully.

“Oh?” she quips cuddling close to his warmth, “by what?”

“Dreams,” Misha says as he slides his boots on, then his gloves. He turns and kisses her cheek before standing and donning his scale mail, it was clean and well cared for. He walks across the room and picks up his greatsword, Honor, the blade earned for his service to Raziel, his patron and the patron of the man that saved him, Father Joseph.

“Dreams?” She says quizzically.

“Dreams,” Misha repeats as he moves for the door throwing his pack over his shoulder, “I need to get going,” he smiles over his shoulder. He walks down the hall and out to the stables to get his horse, he was home in the city of Veltune; but still he lived out of inns and hostels, he preferred to stay mobile for whenever the call comes.

Misha gets astride Talia and trots down the road to the shrine maintained by the priests of the Order of the Book, though this shrine had its focus on Raziel, ruler of the Platinum Heaven. Misha canters forward on his steed moving slowly into the large training grounds to find young men and women training in the arts of war. Amidst them was a larger man, he was not a brute but his presence and steeled eyes made him a giant among men, at least in Misha’s eyes. Father Joseph wore his customary robes over his mail armor and he was as usual barking to his initiates to better themselves and not embarrass themselves on the battlefield.

Misha dismounts and leads Talia by the reigns as he approaches the venerable mentor, “Father Joseph,” he bows his head, “good morning.”

OOC: If you don’t mind I would like for you to RP Father Joseph, well I can do it, but I figure he is just a gruff battle priest to Raziel and Misha’s mentor and the one that gave him his heirloom item, Honor the blade he wields into battle.

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
Clare Karaby, peacekeeper of Pistis Sophia

*Clare starts awake in her cell, early dawn light pouring in through the slit window. She lays on her pallet for a minute, then rises. She prays for wisdom, breathing hard, hoping against hope she can understand the signs given to her.*

I saw myself on a mountain, a ledge above a canyon... a place I do not know, a place I have never been. There was a path... I walked up, I saw a village, a large one across the canyon, three streams made to a river led to it. I kept climbing up... then I saw a chapel. It was on a large plateau, and it was cold and cloudy; snow was falling. It was a small chapel of no particular style, Celestial letters spelled out Honesty above the door.

I walked closer, and an ewe stepped around the corner, a pink rose in her mouth. I petted her, she smiled. Then she dropped the rose and crushed it, turning into some kind of serpent. It spoke to me, and the words were horrible... I fell into the snow, so deep, so cold... I struggled to the surface, it ran me through with a spear... all was dark, and then I woke...

*The dream was terrible, and contained the meaning of something deep, she was certain of it.*

]It showed a place, a place that can be found on a map, I'm certain. Mountains, canyons, three streams, a river, and a large village. Then the chapel above, declaring honesty. The ewe and rose, symbols of peace, purity, symbols people trust. Then they turned to something, into something. Snake, the deceiver, in the ewe's skin. Honesty... something not being honest, an evil masquerading as something good to deceive others?

I received this vision for a purpose, a purpose that I am responsible for finding. I must speak to the Father about this.

*Clare rose from her devotions, troubled but filled with purpose. She drank water from the jar in her room, and stopped by the small kitchen to break her fast. The Father always spent a very long time in devotions, and it would be a while before she could see him. She finished her bread quickly and went to feed the chickens and do a bit of weeding before he was done. Finally she saw him emerge from the temple, and went to see him.*

"Father, I need to speak with you. I had a dream last night, I believe it is one of great significance," she says softly. The Father took her to a quiet corner of the garden, and Clare carefully explained her vision, and what she thought it meant. "I need to know if such a place exists. Because if it does, I believe I am being called to it to prevent a terrible evil from corrupting the place."

Insight

Adventurer
Jacoby

Jacoby of Amberlea | Outside Amberlea, Mitea

Ambrus said:
Jacoby's intention is to spend the rest of the day packing his things and saying goodbye to his family and friends. He'll tell people about his plan if they're curious and he'll listen to any advice they have to offer him, although he won't mention anything about Amberlea burning. In the morning, he'll set off to head upriver. Once he's a leagues or two out of town he'll stop and spend a few hours training Amber before resuming his journey into the pass. He'll try to hunt some small game along the way with her help, using his sling with some river stones to bring it down.

As Jacoby was readying to leave for the mountains, Pa came to say goodbye. He was dressed, as always, in overalls and a simple shirt. The omnipresent scent of smoke emanated from the cob pipe in his mouth. Pa puffed a few times as he watched his son ready for the journey.

"Jake," he said. "It's dangerous you know. Up there, those mountains... I've heard tell... monsters and such."

Pa grabbed a sack of rations and supplies and settled it firmly on Amber, the riding dog. "You be mindful. Following a strange dream like this... I've no experience in such things, and no advice to offer. Just be careful. I know that you see things differently than the rest of us, and I'm proud of it, and of you."

With that, Pa gave Jacoby a few coins and sent him northwest and towards the river, where he would eventually find Cadwynn's Pass.

It was a long ride, longer than Jacoby would have imagined, until he met the river. It was brisk and tempestuous, a current rather unforgiving to the unwise fellow who might try to cross. Jacoby, however, remembered that an old bridge was located not far from this spot, and moved upriver to find it.

After an hour or so, Jacoby found Old Watter's Bridge, a stone construct that looked as if it was more than two centuries old. Still, being of Dwarven make, the bridge would be sturdy for another two centuries, and Jacoby crossed the river without incident.

It was getting to be late afternoon, and Jacoby and his dog started to look for a place to camp. The Wourn Mountains loomed to the east, forming a wall beyond which nothing could be seen. To the northwest, not far away from the mountains, was a small Mitean village, of which Jacoby did not know the name. It might be possible to lodge here before continuing on, or perhaps Jacoby should just continue into the mountains and seek a place to camp just before nightfall.

What does Jacoby do?

Last edited:

Insight

Adventurer
Misha

Misha Koldun | Veltune, Lurien
Evil Ujio said:
Misha gets astride Talia and trots down the road to the shrine maintained by the priests of the Order of the Book, though this shrine had its focus on Raziel, ruler of the Platinum Heaven. Misha canters forward on his steed moving slowly into the large training grounds to find young men and women training in the arts of war. Amidst them was a larger man, he was not a brute but his presence and steeled eyes made him a giant among men, at least in Misha’s eyes. Father Joseph wore his customary robes over his mail armor and he was as usual barking to his initiates to better themselves and not embarrass themselves on the battlefield.

Misha dismounts and leads Talia by the reigns as he approaches the venerable mentor, “Father Joseph,” he bows his head, “good morning.”

The elder battle priest, who had long since put down the shield and sword in favor of The Book, smiled when he saw Misha's approach. Joseph, a veteran of many wars for the cause of Good, though obstinant in the face of those he opposed, was warm and kind to those in his care, whether they be the injured in battle, or those about to join battle.

"My boy," Father Joseph said. "It's been too long, soldier. We need to talk. Like to come inside?"

The pair entered the Shrine of the Fallen Hero, a subtle edifice that had seen more than four centuries of use in the capital of Lurien. Misha and Father Joseph entered through the pair of double doors into what seemed like a tomb. It was a quiet place, with a few elderly gents paying tribute to one of their former comrades in arms. It was not at all uncommon to see retired soldiers here, especially those who served the Forces of Good. The battle against Evil had been going on since... well, since anyone could remember. This scene struck Misha as a sign that he was just part of the larger scheme of things in this regard.

Joseph took Misha to a side chamber, an office Father Joseph used for administrative purposes. On the walls were many of his tokens and memoribilia from the days when he carried the sword. Joseph spent many hours here with Misha, telling old war stories and regaling the young man with his experiences. Chief among these, of course, was the time that Joseph led a group of Paladins to the doors of the Citadel of Broken Dreams, in the Second Hell. Misha had become quite familiar with this story, and feared another retelling was in the works.

"Tell me about this dream," Father Joseph said after an uncomfortable period of silence. Before Misha could reply in surprise to his mentor's knowledge of his dream, Father Joseph continued. "Yes, I know that you had a vision of some kind. You don't serve the Forces of Good for as long as I have without a certain... intuition."

Father Joseph stood and took a few steps around the small office, then turned to look upon Misha, who was still seated.

"I have had them too," Joseph added. "It is a sign. Something great is about to happen, and likely a lot is to be demanded of you. Tell me what you saw. Perhaps my experience can be of some benefit in interpreting this vision."

Last edited:

Evil Ujio

First Post
Insight said:
Misha Koldun | Veltune, Lurien

"I have had them too," Joseph added. "It is a sign. Something great is about to happen, and likely a lot is to be demanded of you. Tell me what you saw. Perhaps my experience can be of some benefit in interpreting this vision."

Misha shakes his head after a lengthy pause, “Your wisdom never ceases to amaze me, Father. My vision… I was alone, and the hour was late. I saw lights ahead of me in the darkness so I went to them, perhaps thinking I had found shelter but what I found was something completely different.”

Misha pauses closing his eyes, “Torches in the darkness, perhaps twenty in number, twenty figures in robes moving in procession, they spoke in a tongue I did not know, it was guttural and rough to my ears. They wore crimson robes like blood, trimmed with gold… a black stone in hand.”

He opens his eyes, “As I got closer I saw their unnatural gait, these figures in robes were skeletons… but I showed no fear and I followed perhaps more out of curiosity and alarm then good sense. I kept my courage and followed, perhaps there cause was foul and Raziel had summoned me to do battle against such an evil… but that was not the case.”

“I followed these figures into the mountains, pine trees grew on the slopes, but I did not recognize the place,” Misha thinks for a moment trying to recall all events, “we reached a plateau, and there was a building, perhaps a shrine or chapel… it had no markings that I recognized but it was not of the Order of the Book… there was a sign above the door, it read in our tongue, “Honor”… just like the blade you gave me, I found that odd and intriguing all at once.”

Misha laughs, “I must have gotten too close because the figures turned, and this is the part that surprised me most, there faces were not skeletal… they wore my face, Father. They attacked me with their black stones, though at close range it looked more like a precious stone then a stone. I defended myself well, Father, but their numbers overwhelmed… and I fell. That is when I awoke.”

Misha focuses back on Father Joseph, “If it is a sign, then I see that I must travel to this place and see if it truly exists. If evil is mustering then it is my duty to face it, with my life if I must.”

Ambrus

Explorer
"Jake," he said. "It's dangerous you know. Up there, those mountains... I've heard tell... monsters and such."

Jacoby smiles; his father still didn't quite get the point of his journey. It wasn't his fault of course, none of his kinsmen in Amberlea could really wrap their heads around the idea. Just a few short months ago, Jacoby would have considered his plan a fool's notion as well.

"As crazy as it sounds pa, it's the monsters Amber and me will be looking for. Someone's got to fight them to keep places like Amberlea safe. It's probably best to go and find them up there" Jacoby points east towards the looming Wourn Mountains "than it is to wait for them to come here." Jacoby points to the ground. "I'll try to either send word or make it back here myself before winter. Tell ma I love her..."

It might be possible to lodge here before continuing on, or perhaps Jacoby should just continue into the mountains and seek a place to camp just before nightfall.

Jacoby will enter the village and try to find either an inn or a household willing to host a traveler. Since he doesn't have a lot of money, he's looking for something fairly inexpensive. If the hunting hasn't been going well so far, he'll try to buy some meat for Amber and may also consider buying more provision for the road. While resting for the evening, he'll try to talk to the locals to find out what they know of the state of the pass, whether there's any wild game to be had up there, whether anyone's seen or heard tell of marauding monsters in the area and perhaps whether anyone knows of where a chapel such as in his dream is to be found. (Diplomacy +0, Gather Information +0)

Last edited:

James Heard

Explorer
"Dogim! Mailasae! Miko! Gather up your brothers and sisters!" Shuelsai shouted, probably a little bit louder than needful but his papa never spared his ears and it never gave a harm. Once everyone was gathered around the crude table in the tiny hut, he spoke paused. It was incredibly unfair of him, of course. Children need their parents. He frowned, thinking of the dream. Damned and double damned! He was too old to be called off on some task for the gods. Surely the powers misspoke or queered their aim when tossing portents, perhaps he had gotten the dream meant for someone else. He asked.

"Dogim, you are growing to be a man now. Have you had any dreams from the gods telling you your path?"

The young boy shifted uncomfortably and looked to his brothers and sisters for support or explanation.

"Papa, I'm going to be a great fisherman one day - like you!"

"No! Foolish child, don't tell me what you think I wish to hear or what you think. Tell me if the gods have told you that they have a task for you!"

Dogim looked at him like he'd been sleeping under a hala nut tree that afternoon.

"No Papa, unless they mean for me to finish knotting your nets for tomorrow like you asked me to?" Dogim suddenly grinned with the pride of a young man scoring a barb upon an old sailfish. "I've finished those this morning Papa. I only went to the village to-"

"-To see that pretty Kiri that's been swishing her hips at you since the last moon," Shuelsai finished smoothly, causing the younger children to titter and Dogim's face to heat. "The gods have whispered no more exciting plans for you then?"

"No, why would the gods speak to me at all? Who am I in the grand scheme of things that the gods would even notice me?"

"Who indeed?" Shuelsai murmured, as much to himself as to anyone else, as his children looked on with concern.

"Dogim, your Papa is going away for a while. I do not know how long I will be gone or where I am going, but I shall endeavor to inform you more when I know more about my task. Miko, Mailasae? You must see that your younger brothers and sisters are fed and wash behind their ears properly. Do you understand? I know this is sudden, but I trust you all to show to me how grown up you all are and how obedient. All of you help tend the lines and the nets and watch out for the youngest ones. Keep on your letters and do as Dogim tells you to do. Dogim, no running off to flirt with girls or ignoring your brothers and sisters to meet with them on Misi Island. You hear me? I am going to leave you all some money to use for emergencies, but this isn't for sweet rice or beaded sandals!" He looked each of the solemn and fearful-looking children in turn, nodding sternly at his eldest son until he suddenly broke out into an enormous grin.

"Cheer up! Without your Papa here, there's only your good sense to guide you - something of which I have every confidence I have raised you all to have in surplus. You are all the beats of and between my heart, I shall return soon and we will all share the tales of adventures we have had. Plus," he continued slyly with a wink, "I promise to bring you all sweet rices aplenty when I return!"

The children giggled, even the oldest ones who tried to hide it, and he gathered everyone in an enormous pile of squirming, smiling children.

"I will go to the village on my way of leaving and ask Essai the Builder to come out tomorrow. He owes me a favor for last year's mending and aiding the birthing of his goats, so maybe he will come to check on you some and maybe," he said looking at Dogim, "Maybe he will help some of you young nai learn something of his craft in the evenings. That is, as long as you still see to your brothers and sisters and the melon fields as well."

Dogim's eyes grew wide and his mouth gaped, as he had been pestering his father to speak on an apprenticeship with the Builder since he was knee high to a pig.

The rest of the day was spent in specifics, and much crying from the youngest children and his daughters. Despite his own doubts and fears, Shuelsai smiled at each soothingly and ruffled their napes playfully in turn. As promised he turned his small craft up the river as he set sail and spoke with his cousin Essai before he left. Essai was less enthusiastic about repaying his debts than Shuelsai implied to his children. A quiet word to one of his pretty young wives settled things. The youngest sister of Shuelsai's second wife, he reminded her that his family and her own were joined like dobbers and sandfleas, and pinched her cheeks and tickled her like he did when she was a child with a wink. A man, even an important man like Essai, couldn't allow discontent to grow inside his own home. Reluctantly, and then graciously, Essai eventually even began to realize the potential benefits of having young boys around to aid him in his labors before his own sons were old enough.

It was late at night when Shuelsai stumbled out of the hut and waved drunkenly behind him to his hosts and the life he lived before. Stupid gods, no sense at all, calling an old man out of his sleep and telling him to leave his family. He heaved the lines to cast off.

"I don't even know where I'm going!" he said aloud to the sea, as he raised the sail. Then he grinned, his gap-toothed smile radiating amusement. "I'm as crazy as they are, then." He laughed until a wheezing cough broke his revelry.

Ah well, he thought. Who am I to question the gods? A new dawn was just breaking the horizon as he lazily pulled a rag over his eyes to close his eyes some and let the tides take him where they will.

Remove ads