• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E The Tortle Package Coming Soon...

So, what can those of you that have purchased this say about the race, its description and features without going into too-revealing detail (because that would obviously be bad and against forum policy)?

If you click on the "Full Size Preview" link on the DM's Guild page, it'll show you the racial stats and abilities of the Tortle.

I'm pretty sure that's by design, making it so people who just want the tortle or people who might be players in ToA not get spoiled on stuff.

guachi

Hero
I play a Mystara-set game at my FLGS. Player came in yesterday and was excited to tell us about the Tortle release. He jokingly asks if he can remake his PC as a Tortle. I state with a completely straight face that he can't because Tortles are native to the Savage Coast and players can't be PCs from the Savage Coast. He gives me this blank look and says, "Wait, you mean they have Tortles here?". I reply, "Yeah, Tortles are a Mystara unique creature (until now, that is)"

He thought that was pretty cool. Me, I think it's another example of the Forgotten Realms Borg consuming the cultural distinctiveness of all D&D game worlds.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
If you click on the "Full Size Preview" link on the DM's Guild page, it'll show you the racial stats and abilities of the Tortle.

I'm pretty sure that's by design, making it so people who just want the tortle or people who might be players in ToA not get spoiled on stuff.

Oh, I didn't realize that. Sweet.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
He thought that was pretty cool. Me, I think it's another example of the Forgotten Realms Borg consuming the cultural distinctiveness of all D&D game worlds.

I don't like the Realms, but I'd rather it gets unique races and monsters from other settings so I can use them in my games now than wait until they get around to updating a setting I like (assuming they ever do) to 5e.

pukunui

Legend
I'm guessing Mike doesn't really want to answer.
I think it's more that he doesn't like tortles. He's implied it several times before.

My question would be, since armor doesn't add to their AC but Defense fighting style requires worn armor could a tortle wear a chain shirt (or whatever might fit their body) and have a +1 to AC?
"You gain no benefit from wearing armor" ... I'd say that applies to the Defense fighting style as well.

So, what do ya'll think of the Tortle as a PC race?

I quite like them. The race flavor is fairly interesting, Their stat boost are pretty good, especially in conjunction with their shell which frees them from the "tyranny" of DEX, allowing you to have a bit of fun with something like a STR based Monk. You could also be a bit more normal by focusing on a martial Cleric or something of the sort.

Hawk Diesel

Adventurer
Personally, I would allow the Defense fighting style to stack for the Tortle. That is more about learning to be more effective at using your defenses, and so I see no reason that they wouldn't stack, especially because the shell is in essence armor (albeit natural and organic armor).

Remathilis

Legend
I don't like the Realms, but I'd rather it gets unique races and monsters from other settings so I can use them in my games now than wait until they get around to updating a setting I like (assuming they ever do) to 5e.

Agreed. While there is some lines I'd rather not cross (like warforged or kender in the Realms) an obscure race from Mystara that last saw official support in 1996 is prime picking. I mean, it was this or wait until 2035 when they release the Savage Coast -related AP. :p

gyor

Legend
Warforged I can see in the realms as there some magically advanced civilizations in FR.

I think a village of Kender immigrated to FR in one of the novels.

Remove ads