• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The tragedy of 4th edition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corjay

First Post
Its funny that "It was always bad, so it doesn't matter if its again bad (and arguably worse than the previous edition)" is an accepted defence now.

Isn't a new product supposed to be better than the old one? Apparently not...
I didn't use that as a defense. I was simply providing a correction to the misconception that it was somehow new.

I too think it's unacceptable and that WOTC needs to tighten its editing practices.

Andor

First Post
Go read cleric, then fix your post.

Aren't you the guy that made a whole set of awesome power cards?

You're right, I forgot Holy Lantern. D'oh.

And no that wasn't me. Sounds like a good idea though, I loved power cards for Bo9S.

So it's a pretty significant upgrade under the hood, and there's nothing wrong with it, but a vocal community spends hours upon hours saying it sucks?

I would say has updates that killed my soundcard and has stability issues the likes of which I have not seen since Windows 2000 came out. (Since I wasn't stupid enough to bother with ME.)

But that doesn't really translate well into D&D terms. :p

Wisdom Penalty

First Post
"Let me 'spain. No, there's too much. Let me sum up." - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride

(1) The 4e core books have significant errors related to editing or the lack thereof.

(2) These errors are no different, no better, no worse, and - most importantly - no more acceptable than they were with previous editions of D&D.

(3) If WotC wishes to avoid ugliness such as this thread in the future, they had better improve their editing capabilities.

(4) One such way to improve these capabilities is to increase the time allotted to them.

Simple. Mods, please lock this thread before my cup of wisdom runneth over.

W.P.

ProfessorCirno

Banned
Banned
This thread makes me laugh hysterically. What started as a pretty damn mild mannered post exploded into a full blown war because two or three people just couldn't stand to see ANYTHING bad about 4e pointed out.

Speaking of problems with 4e that have nothing to do with mechanics, my housemate's copy of the PHB is stunningly bad quality in terms of the actual product. You can feel the spine twist and flex when you turn pages, and it's got a few creases that came with the book and have never come out. It feels like it's going to just fall apart at any moment, and we've been treating it pretty nicely, too.

Edit: In before the lock or in before I'm flamed.

Wisdom Penalty

First Post
It feels like it's going to just fall apart at any moment, and we've been treating it pretty nicely, too.

You talking about the book or your relationship with your housemate?

Ba-dum-bump.

The WP

Ahglock

First Post
I'm overall okay with the level of quality for 4es first print. I am slightly worried with the supplements coming out, there seem to be a lot of them coming out fast. Virtually every game I've even seen there is a big slide in editing quality with th supplements, sometimes with out right rules mistakes or a complete lack of forethought on what a new ability will do in conjunction with what has come before. I want the 4e supplements to rock they can totally change my overall opinion to decent first attempt at a totally new rule set to woo-hoo.

Vigwyn the Unruly

First Post
I think there are some warts, but 4e is easy and fun to play.

All I know is that I am playing D&D with my kids again, and we are having a blast!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads