• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

the trick is...

Henry

Autoexreginated
You don't tug on Elminster's cape,
You don't pee into an air elemental,
You don't pull the mask off a Lord of Waterdeep
And you don't mess around with Jim Ward.

:)

MarauderX

Explorer
as DM, the trick is...

...to have a poker face when your saboteur is killed far too early.

...to keep PCs on their toes even when facing a measly pack of kobolds.

...to not kill the PCs when they don't deserve it.

...to kill the PCs elegantly when they do deserve it.

...to have a box of tissues handy to dry up their tears after getting ripped apart like amateurs by a pack of kobolds when they were baited, separated and trapped. Boo hoo.

...to not laugh openly/manically.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Marauder, hey laughing maniacally is a DM's right and perogorative! ;)

trick is

...not never let them see it coming, cause then they might like it.

astralpwka

www.khanspress.com
The Trick is...

... to never kill your wife's character.

... to use your eyebrows menacingly.

... to keep an eye on the kids while staying with the game.

... to end the game by nine so you can get the children home, in bed, so they can get up for school in the morning.

maddman75

First Post
...Kill them and take their stuff.

...always pretend that the players are doing exactly as you expected.

...plan your campaign, but plan loose.

...never give them free will, but maintain the illusion of free will.

Mystery Man

First Post
...to not laugh openly/manically.

I have the hardest time with that one.

...to never tell them what they're making that Will save for when there's nothing around no matter what the rolls were.

Last edited:

Nightfall

astralpwka said:
The Trick is...

... to never kill your wife's character.
Or you could just not marry and you'd not have some of these problems! ;)

...to keep them sweating but make sure to have plenty of deodorant available. Otherwise stinkiness happens

...never let the dragon start off combat by saying "How about we play odds and evens?"

Nightfall

Mystery Man said:
QUOTE]...to not laugh openly/manically.[
I have the hardest time with that one.

...to never tell them what they're making that Will save for when there's nothing around no matter what the rolls were.[/QUOTE]
I never bothered with it MM. But that last one is important as you just SO don't wanting them finding out they just made a save they shouldn't have. :p :)

...that cute barmaid is actually a succubi on holiday.

...to keep secret the fact your favorite NPC is gay.

just__al

First Post
Leave things somewhat open and unplanned. Then LISTEN to your players think outloud. Some of the things they come up with will just be too brilliant/stupid/juicy to ignore and you can have those things happen and they will seem brilliant for having figured something out and you will look like you planned.

Case in point. The players were hunting down a vampire they encountered at the campaign's start. When they finally thought they were ready to find him they found out that the vampire was a former cleric who hunted vampires.

They were all discussing what to do and somebody started thinking that he might deep down not be happy about being the thing that he hunted and the party could use that against him.

I wasn't actually thinking that way, I was thinking more that he'd be prepared for Vampire Hunters but it was a nice hook, made the Vampire 3 dimensional and the players were very happy that they figured something out.

It made the difference between a total party kill and just loosing one of the mages.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads