• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

the trick is...

MerakSpielman

First Post
The trick is to keep DM knowledge and NPC knowledge separate... It's even tougher than PC/player knowledge. Honestly, after your party purchases Amulets of Shielding for the party, how likely is it that your wizards will keep casting magic missile on them?

francisca

I got dice older than you.
the trick is....

....to remember it is the player's and the DM's game, not anyone else's.

....to remember it is a game, and you are supposed to be having fun.

....most of what you read about games (and everything else, for that matter) on internet message boards is unmitigated crapola.

(except for this thread. there is a lot of good advice here.)

diaglo

Adventurer
...to remember Original D&D(1974) is the only true game. And all the other editions are just poor imitations of the real thing. :D

had to add that one.

rounser said:
the trick is...

...To use the age-old adventurer's technique of tying up and gagging your horses and putting them in trees before you go dungeoneering - they'll be safe there, because not even the stupidest wandering monster expects to find a bound and gagged horse up a tree.

...To run a flock of sheep and assorted poultry through the dungeon ahead of the party to set off all the traps and keep the monsters occupied with something to eat while you grab their phat lewtz.

...and if that doesn't work, the trick is...

...To flood the dungeon with a Decanter of Endless Water in order to drown all the monsters then use your Ring of Water Breathing to do a Jacque Cousteau for the phat lewtz, whilst hoping that none of said monsters don't need to breath air.

lol

the trick is...

... to kill one of the characters in the first 5 minutes of play just so they know you mean business

... to have lots of caffeinated drinks handy

... to make sure the PC's get what's coming to them

... to lure the players in a sense of false security and KABLAM-O!

... to play with folks who like to roll up new characters

AR

hunter1828

Butte Hole Surfer
...to be prepared to wing it when the PCs zig instead of zagging.

...to never, ever, ever kill your wife's character (someone else said this, but it deserves a repeat)

...to never, ever, show favoritism to your wife's character

hunter1828

hunter1828

Butte Hole Surfer
diaglo said:
:D

if you have to ask who they are. they are better off dead.

i've played too much PARANOIA :eek:

In a WEG Star Wars game I played in once, another character and I were assualted after walking into a warehouse. We were looking for a rebel agent being held captive by Imps so we could rescue him.

As the assault starts we duck behind some crates and I pull a thermal detonator and toss it. Big boom. Then the other PC says to me, "What if that was the rebel we're looking for?"

:eek:

hunter1828

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads