The Untamed Wilds: Electric Skies

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Hawkeye frowns at Syd, and says, "Port Arthur isn't exactly my idea of a fun time. That place has been a dump since the days of my great grandfather. Full of gangers and riff-raff. Besides, the job description doesn't exactly sound like my cup of tea. I'm a hacker, not a bodyguard. Unless the delivery site inside the building is an area that he doesn't have access to. And if that's the case, I'd question his motives to begin with...? We could be delivering a bomb for all we know? ... By the way, since when does a 9-story building count as a skyscraper? Ha ha ha."

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Trollick laughs. "It seems we all have a different idea of a mission. We could go paper rock scissors."
OOC: By such, I mean random roll d6: 1-2 = paper, 3-4 = rock, 5-6 = scissors.

Kwargrow

Gamer Extraordinaire
Weekly post: +5xp

What’s New Pussycat? (Yes, really)

After a day of shopping and resting, the Runners meet Shatterframe at Nacho’s that night, and she’s driving a forest green sedan. This time she sits in the back of the car inside a protective sheath. You tell her you want to find the lost cat, and through the car audio system she replies, “Going for the hard one. Sweet. El Campo it is.”

The drive to the girl’s residence is uneventful and Shatterframe lets you out at what appears to be just another skyscraper. Investigating the address through VR along the way, you discover the name for the building is the Conclave for Found Felines. Once you step through the front doors you find the inside is like a palace, with marble floor tiles and burgundy carpet on the walls. A one wheeled mannequin drone painted silver with a gold top hat on its head rolls over and confirms your access to the building for the job.

Your weapons are still active.

Once through the foyer of the building, a ring of silver and gold balconies surrounds a shaft through the center of the structure, with multiple elevators moving up and down the many levels. The marble floor is empty, without furniture or kiosks. Far above your heads the top floor of the skyscraper is lost in a wash of lights. You don’t see any people, but what you do see are cats, lots of them. There are cats of all shapes, sizes, colors, and patterns. The largest looks to be a lounging tiger as long in the body as the giants are tall, and the smallest is a group of kittens frolicking together. Most of them are the size of house cats. They are walking across the balconies, riding up and down on the elevators, walking across the floor and pouncing on each other. When you exit the foyer every cat in the whole place turns and looks at you. They don’t meow or hiss, they merely stare at the three of you for a moment and a few go back to what they were doing. A great many, however, start to lounge in the spot where they are, some watching overtly and others pretending not to.

People begin to walk into view on the balconies. The cats do not react to the people, nor the people to the cats. The people seem as varied as the felines, with no obvious majority in age, color, race, or gender, and their clothes could be seen on any street. Almost all the people stop short of the balcony, except for two girls. One is an elf girl with straight black hair, apparently about 12 years old, and the other is human, a few years older, with an upswept hairdo of white hair with black streaks. They are wearing matching black light armor with different pink accessories. Together they leap down from a second story balcony and land on the hard floor with little effort. Your experienced eyes tell you these girls have some magical talent to perform so well.

While the other people and cats silently watch, the elf approaches with a petulant expression. The other girl stays back, watching you closely. The elf says, “You must be the new runners. All the other ones died or quit. I am Persephone Clearwater, your employer. I’m missing Spring, my snow leopard. She was in the building, and now I can’t find her. She’s my best friend in the world. She’s chipped, of course, but someone removed it, and it was found by the butler. We have looked everywhere in this building for Spring, and now I must insist that you look outside for her. If you need a clue, I think it was that awful Canine Corporation. You can guess why they don’t like us. Some other runners got caught sneaking into the headquarters to look for Spring and those are the ones that died. I got the HPD to search the place on those grounds, and they didn’t find one trace of any feline DNA. Of course, they wouldn’t, since those other dummy runners tipped them off and gave them a chance to move her. Anyway, they recommended I try private assistance and here you are.”

Make Perception Checks and state intentions for how you will try to find the cat.

Waynan

Adventurer
Syd shakes his head and murmurs to himself:
"Should have taken the Port Arthur job."
[Perception Check Roll: 76]

Last edited:

MacConnell

OOC: Since I am playing a character with an aversion to technology, I will leave the suggestions for scanning the VR for surveillance and such to the other players.

Trollick nods emotively at the petulant child. He does not care for her demeanor or display of talent, but he sees no reason to convey such. He takes a slow deep breath and slowly looks about the area. He is analyzing what Way lines are fluctuating to best of his ability while physically looking for any anomaly or peculiar behavior.

"Do you have anything of Spring's that I may use to aid in our search, a piece of fur, personal accessory, even the removed chip will work if it has not been cleaned?"

"Secondly, why do suspect the Canine Corporation? That is overtly cliched."

[sblock=Active Search]Mercantile + Clarity + d100
Trollick: 15 + 23 + 83 = 111[/sblock]
[sblock=Alchemical Sensitivity]Mercantile + Analysis + d100
Trollick: 15 + 23 + 73 = 101[/sblock]

Last edited:

Kwargrow

Gamer Extraordinaire
If you made a weekly post receive 5 xp

Fatal Furries
[sblock=Perception]
Trollick: 38+83(d100)=111, Hawkeye: 36+50(default)=86, Syd: 27+76(d100)=103 [/sblock]

Hawkeye is busy watching the cute little kittens play. Trollick and Syd notice odd behavior from the girl with the white and black hair. She looks back and forth between you and PC (Persephone Clearwater) as though she wants to intervene, but remains silent and tense.

Do you have anything of Spring's that I may use to aid in our search, a piece of fur, personal accessory, even the removed chip will work if it has not been cleaned?"

PC looks at you as though you were being difficult on purpose. “A piece of fur? Of course not, don’t be grotesque. We incinerate all leavings by our animals. We used to have the signal chip, and of course we cleaned it, but it’s been lost, along with everything else Spring owns. I have nothing left of her.”

why do you suspect the Canine Corporation?

PC looks as though she is about to answer when the girl with the white and black hair blurts out, “It wasn’t the Canine Corporation. Don’t bother them. The last guys almost started a war.”

PC frowns back at her friend and says, “This is Slivermoon, my best human friend. She never met Spring so she doesn’t know how awesome a bond-mate she was. She doesn’t understand how confusing it is for me not to be able to sense her.”

[sblock=Analyze Way lines] Trollick: 38+73=101 [/sblock]

With those key words from PC, Trollick is able to deduce that headquartered in this building is an enclave of bonded magicians and animals, cats specifically. Although he cannot see the Way lines in other people yet (Collegiate 10+), he can guess that all the people in the building are bonded to one or more of all the felines. The Runners have heard rumors of places like this, but by their nature these organizations are secretive.

If Spring was PC’s bond-mate she should have been able to find her no matter where she was.

PC says to the Runners, “I cannot just move on from Spring like she was a pet. I must know what happened to her, and who was responsible. If it wasn’t the dog-bonders then I don’t know, but if you have to hurt someone with your ugly little guns, so be it. You get paid when I know what I want to know.” PC turns, takes Slivermoon’s hand, and the girls walk off together. You can see Slivermoon whisper something with a pleading expression into PC’s ear, but trying to eavesdrop yields no results.

Obviously dismissed, the Runners exchange glances and decide to ask around in the building about the job. The cats are ever present and quite annoying. They include large cat varieties and all the creatures are in excellent health. You get hissed at as many times as you have to shoo away a leg rubber. The people flat out refuse to speak with you, looking at you with contempt and calling you ‘Clearwater’s little errand boys’. You don’t see PC or Slivermoon again. Since starting trouble in this skyscraper would mean certain death, you decide to go outside and ask around.

The butler sees you out, but as soon as you decide to leave the cats ignore you. Outside of the skyscraper the night is the same as you left it before. The traffic on the roads speeds by, moving in perfect precision. The ever-present lights of the electric Houston sky wash out the black of night, moving back and forth from airships and drones.

“Runners,” you hear a call and turn to see Slivermoon waving to you from an alleyway between two buildings.
You suspect a trap, but you have no other leads and after your treatment in the enclave you’re ready to fight someone anyway. You follow her around the corner, wary and ready. As you thought, Slivermoon is farther down the alley than she would be if she wanted to talk, and between you and her are three individuals. They are unlike any creatures you have seen before in the hard realm. They stand between five and a half and six feet tall, their bodies are hairy, and their heads are feline, a male lynx, a female lion, and a male leopard. They are standing on two feet and wear light combat armor similar in style to Slivermoon, but are not wearing foot gear. On their furred hands are delicate looking silver gloves, the fingers ending in gleaming sharp claws.

“Here’s your deal, liveborn,” Slivermoon shouts, the alley distorting her voice. “We keep scaring your kind off, and my stubborn little elf keeps hiring more. This time we’re stepping it up. You’re going to quit the job, but first, we give you a thrashing.”

Roll initiative and declare intentions

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Hawkeye frowns, as he mentally (and silently) activates video record mode on his VR headset: "So wait, let me get this straight. You and your little Frankenstein minions here are going to give us a "thrashing" to discourage us from helping... what did you call her? Your 'stubborn little elf friend'? Is that because you don't want her to find out that you've been kidnapping bonded pets, including hers, and using them to build an army of whatever these things are? Don't bother to answer, actions speak louder than words. But about that thrashing you promised us... we play for keeps, sweetheart."

OOC: Hawkeye has a base roll of 116 for initiative. Hawkeye intends to shoot the lion thing in the foot, since it is not covered.

MacConnell

Seeing that the creatures do not appear to be armed, Trollick rushes forward at the one on right side of the alley so as to engage in melee while clearing the line of fire for his friends. As he moves, he darkens the available illumination around him so as to cast his image in greater shadow. If he is able to strike his chosen opponent, he will cause his internal fluids to ionize, causing more harm.
[sblock=Reaction Time]Readiness + Athletic + Clarity + d100 = 18 + 16 + 24 + 76 = 134[/sblock]
[sblock=Bend Light]Essence + Collegiate + Adhesion = 24[/sblock]
[sblock=Projectile Avoidance]Obscure + Analysis + Bend Light + d100 = 16 + 24 + 24 + 41 = 105[/sblock]
[sblock=Physical Assault]Aggression + Athletic + Fury + d100 = 21 + 16 + 26 + 76 = 139[/sblock]
[sblock=Physical Defense]Readiness + Obscurative + Analysis + d100 = 18 + 16 + 24 + 76 = 134[/sblock]
[sblock=Paranormal Assault]Bending + Ionize + d100 = 18 + 26 + 90 + 77 = 211[/sblock]

Waynan

Adventurer
Seeing Trollick take the lead and attacking on the right and hoping that Hawkeye will take the right, Syd heads for Slivermoon directly, using his Full-auto pistol on her as he charges her.
"Oh yeah! Feel the burn Sliverwitch!" Syd cries out as he closes in.
Just before he closes in on Slivermoon, Syd performs a leap over her and swings at her with his W3T sabre as he flies overhead. He twists on his flyover and lands behind her and continues to shoot and stab at her back when he lands. (However, if one of Slivermoon's "pets" tries to get in the way, Syd will adapt and improvise and swing at the cat(s) instead).
The whole time Syd is attacking he wears a grimly sinister smile on his lips and bursts out in song:
"Hey, little sister, what have you done? Hey, little sister, who's the only one? Hey, little sister, who's your Superman? this as he's flying over her on his leap, "Hey, little sister, who's the one you want? Hey, little sister --- Shotgun! It's a nice day to start again..."

​Reaction: Readiness+Motility+Clarity+d100=22+6+11+85=124
Projectile Avoidance: Readiness+Motility+Analysis+d100=22+6+12+71=111
Paranormal/Way Defense: Persona+Health+Analysis+d100=3+6+12+31=52
Physical Defense: Readiness+Motility+Analysis+d100=22+6+12+54=94
Projectile Weapon Assault: Combat+Fury+Aggression+d100=6+11+21+65=93
Leaping and Landing: Motility+Leaping+Balance+d100=6+18+18+69=111
Physical Assault: Aggression+Strength+Combat+d100=21+6+6+77=110

Last edited:

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Further Explanation of Intent

Hawkeye laughs, and sings along, "It's a... nice day for a... WHITE WEDDING! It's a nice day to... START AGAINNNNN!! YEAH!!"

[sblock=Bend Light]
Hawkeye will follow Trollick's lead, and darken the shadows around himself, making himself harder to see.
Essence (9) + Collegiate (3) + Adhesion (4) = 16
[/sblock]

[sblock=Projectile Avoidance]
Obscure (?) + Analysis (16) + Bend Light (16) + d100 (63) = (?) at least 95?
[/sblock]

[sblock=Projectile Weapon Assault]
Combat (5) + Fury (16) + Aggression (19) + d100 (86) = 126
[/sblock]

OOC: I am not sure what the procedure is for making a called shot, but Hawkeye basically intends to blow the thing's foot off. Also, I am unsure as to whether or not I have the Obscurative task or not. Please make any adjustments necessary to the posted stats above.

OOC: GM Reply: I figured we would keep it simple and if you want to try to attack and avoid armor protection it will add 25 to the defense

Last edited by a moderator:

Remove ads