D&D (2024) The Very Real Possibility and Impact of Microtransactions in One D&D

Creating 'too micro' a transaction (e.g. $2/feat) is a turn off (from a marketing/consumer happiness perspective) for sure. The concept is sound; don't ruin it by making me feel like I'm being nickeled and dimed. I'd be happy with being able to purchase sections of a book. For example, if I see a setting book with races I find interesting but the setting itself doesn't light my fire, I might consider buying the 'crunchy' race segment of that publication at a discount.

I have bought the aasimar from Volo's guide for 2 dollars, because I saw no point buying the whole book, because I already own it in paper form. But I wanted to create thr character....

now the book is no more and i got no discount on MpMotM. I feel totally ripped off... ;)

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Well, going by the Dragonlance example that was linked, they're already charging $2 for a single feat, or $9 for all the feats; $2 for a background of $3 for both; the one archetype for $2, $2 for each monster or $15 for all of them.

And $2 for the kender race, which in all honesty they should be paying us to take the kender off their hands. Like, you ever bought a D&D book in your life, they give you $2.
One thing to bear in mind though, each of those smaller transaction lead to discounted book. Spend 10$ on feats, races, etc and then the full book will be 10$ cheaper.

Faolyn

(she/her)
One thing to bear in mind though, each of those smaller transaction lead to discounted book. Spend 10$ on feats, races, etc and then the full book will be 10$ cheaper.
Does it say that somewhere? Because I didn't see anything on that page that said that the cost of individual materials brings the whole thing down. I could have missed it though.

Well, going by the Dragonlance example that was linked, they're already charging $2 for a single feat, or $9 for all the feats; $2 for a background of $3 for both; the one archetype for $2, $2 for each monster or $15 for all of them.
It's not pay to win, but I can see this being annoying for some tables. As in, a player spends $2 or $5 on a feat, and thus feels entitled to use the feat at a table that is not generally using that book. Of course, having access to more books always meant that you could create a more powerful character

Hussar

Legend
In this particular case, I more or less agree--personally, I would rather the old stuff remain available but perhaps with a big ol' content warning attached, but that's just me, and I understand and accept why they did it.

But, it also means they could decide to remove material for other, less acceptable reasons. Which is why I prefer actual books or pdfs to begin with.
But, if you didn't buy the book, then the book was reprinted with a change, and the older version is now OOP and not available, what's the difference? I suppose you could go trawling through the used book stores, but, at the end of the day, there isn't any real difference.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Does it say that somewhere? Because I didn't see anything on that page that said that the cost of individual materials brings the whole thing down. I could have missed it though.
They probably have an FAQ somewhere, the previous content credit does exist though.

Clint_L

Hero
It's not pay to win, but I can see this being annoying for some tables. As in, a player spends $2 or $5 on a feat, and thus feels entitled to use the feat at a table that is not generally using that book. Of course, having access to more books always meant that you could create a more powerful character
DM has final say. You can also go to the FLGS, buy a deck of magic item cards, and then write "holy avenger" down under equipment on your character sheet because, hey, you paid for the cards. But the DM isn't going to give it to you.

Remove ads