• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Viking Cats

Jack7

First Post
I’ve only had three cats in my life. One when I was a teenager, named Eric (the Red). And now Alex (the White), a white and gold Maine Coon, and his mother, also a Maine Coon (or as I like to call em, Carolina Coons.)

The two males, Alex and Eric always acted (act) more like dogs than cats.

Eric was an orange and white cat, with one green eye and one blue eye. Alex is a white, gold, and black cat with a coon tail and golden eyes. Both are fast, sleek, good climbers, extremely adventurous, good explorers, love to roam about with the boy, like the sea and travel, are smart and quick, and excellent survivors. Both get along well with dogs and other animals. Both are inseparable from their owner, and he them.

Anyhow, I’ve decided to write a new children’s book about them and the 13 year old boy who is their owner. The boy is a member of a family clan of Vikings (explorers and traders, not raiders) who travel about in their ship visiting places and having adventures. Alex and Eric travel with the boy (named either Hale or Conn, I’m leaning towards Hale) and the book will roughly be organized in the same way as “The White Stag” (still one of my favorite books of all time). It will be a short book, maybe 80 to 120 pages, mainly action oriented.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_White_Stag

The book will mainly be about the serious adventures and dangers encountered by Hale and Alex and Eric, with a sub-plot of comic relief with the side-adventures of Alex and Eric.

I’m going to have Hale and Alex and Eric explore ancient Roman ruins, islands, some undersea areas, see strange things, encounter sea monsters, involved in business and trade, travel into parts of Asia and Africa, (maybe even to the far West), etc.
[SIZE=+0][/SIZE]
Also Hale and Alex and Eric will be led in their adventures by various signs, such as the White Cross Cloud, and the Sea-Fire, etc.

I’m going to call the book, “The Viking Cats,” and it will be my NaNoWriMo Project for this year in November. I’m already sketching it out and setting it up.

http://www.nanowrimo.org/

Richards

Legend
Sounds cool. When I first read your thread title, though, I immediately thought of an animation I once saw on-line that had viking kitten cutouts moving to the tune of Led Zeppelin's "The Immigrant Song."

Johnathan

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
As did I, and their video for Electric Six's "Gay Bar" and Iron Maiden's "Run to the Hills" as well!

That said, your idea sounds cool, and I hope you have fun with it. Will the book be written fromthekid's or the kitties' PoV?

Jack7

First Post
Hale And Well Met - I’m now thinking the boy will definitely be named Hale. Last night, in bed and right before going to sleep, I saw this scene in my mind of the boy and the cats exploring some old Roman ruins, maybe in Ostia, when the boy falls into a partially collapsed cistern underneath the ruins. The cistern is fed by an Artesian well, which means the cistern is still flooded, but the boy can’t climb back out again because of the height and the debris. Alex, the more emotional and reckless cat, jumps into the cistern with him, but Eric, the more calculating cat stays out.

The boy then tries to get Eric to go for help or maybe find another way in to lead them out.

Alex and the boy then have to move through the flooded cistern, parts of which are very deep and dark, to try and find a way out.

As I was watching this scene in my mind a title for it popped into my head. I’m gonna call this chapter, “Hale, and well met

For the Artesian well and the cistern.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
FWIW, all of the Viking Kitten videos were done by Joel Vietch on his Rathergood site- and there is merch available- but I'm not linking to it: there is some adult material there AND I'm getting messages that it may be compromised by malware.

Remove ads