The Walking Dead

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I'm watching the pilot for this series as I type this.

While I note a tiny plot hole in the main character's initial survival, I have to say this zombie horror tv show seems to be well acted and written.

Let me back up and repeat this, to ensure that you didn't miss it: its a zombie horror tv show.

It is at least better than most (not all) of the zombie movies I've seen in the past few years. It's been done with an amount of care not unlike the British show Survivors. Because its late-night and AMC is a cable station, we get to hear honest to goodness adult language.

Anyone else catch it?

Dog Moon

Adventurer
Oh crap, that started already! Oy, I need to try to find it again sometime this week. I was interested in checking this out, but didn't know when it started. Or more likely I forgot when it started.

Thanks for the reminder!

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
yep, I enjoyed it, though I did think the start was too much 28 days. Yep, a lot better than most zombie movies I have seen.

Been counting the rules:
1) guy telling the cop to watch their numbers.
2) warning to keep out of the city...oops!

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
The lone glitch was how the sheriff survived his coma. I'm not talking about how, despite the presence of zombies within the hospital, he was lucky enough not to be eaten.

The dried out flowers implied nobody had been around him in a while, and his intravenous drip was empty or nearly so. Later visual and dialog cues indicate the zombie problem had been serious for a month or more.

So why wasn't he extremely dehydrated (like his flowers) or starving from lack of nutrition, and thus extremely weak. As in, virtually unable to move?

Beyond that? Aces!

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
The lone glitch was how the sheriff survived his coma. I'm not talking about how, despite the presence of zombies within the hospital, he was lucky enough not to be eaten.

The dried out flowers implied nobody had been around him in a while, and his intravenous drip was empty or nearly so. Later visual and dialog cues indicate the zombie problem had been serious for a month or more.

So why wasn't he extremely dehydrated (like his flowers) or starving from lack of nutrition, and thus extremely weak. As in, virtually unable to move?

Beyond that? Aces!

In a way I think they showed this, him falling from the bed and then sucking down water from the bathroom. They just did not spend a lot of time on it.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
In a way I think they showed this, him falling from the bed and then sucking down water from the bathroom. They just did not spend a lot of time on it.

They did, they did, but he was still waaaaay to ambulatory. He should have been crawling or zombie-shuffling himself. Those flowers weren't just dead, they were crumbling.

And there's conflicting evidence elsewhere: IV bags don't last all day...but we also know that his bandages hadn't been well attended. Did someone risk their life to help him until they couldn't anymore, or was the filmmaking crew just a little sloppy?

Then again, I grew up in a medical household, so stuff like that bugs me more than others.

Last edited:

Fast Learner

First Post
My willing suspension of disbelief says that the hospital was manned by some caring souls for several weeks of zombie world, up until just a few days before he awoke. They didn't do much that wasn't absolutely necessary to keep the patient alive, putting up new saline and such. Flowers had been ignored for weeks. Something along those lines.

He still would have been much, much weaker. Likely couldn't have walked at all without a fair bit of physical therapy. But the dehydration thing can be written off. :)

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
In fairness, it could be a plot point they're setting up- the ID of the person who tried to save him in the hospital.

Insight

Adventurer
'Walking Dead' a Monster Smash

AMC's The Walking Dead premiere ratings are enormous: The 90-minute Halloween night debut delivered 5.3 million viewers and a 3.3 adults 18-49 rating.

That's the largest demo audience for any series premiere on any cable network this year.

It's also the highest numbers for any series in AMC's history, and beat most non-sports programs on broadcast Sunday night.

renau1g

First Post
yep, I enjoyed it, though I did think the start was too much 28 days. Yep, a lot better than most zombie movies I have seen.

Have you read the comics by chance?

I was blown away at the production values, way higher than almost any zombie movie I've seen since the Dawn of the Dead remake (2002?) which consequently was right before the pilot. Great job, although the zombies were kind of a cross between Romero and 28 Days Later ones as in
Atlanta when they were chasing him on the horse they were pretty damn quick, IIRC they're walkers and relatively slow-moving in the books

I have high, high hopes for the series based on the source material and am glad to see AMC rewarded for the project.

[MENTION=19675]Dannyalcatraz[/MENTION] - unless it breaks from the comic I don't believe they'll have anything with his savior. If you're curious
I believe in the comic they mentioned that the hospital was supposed to be looked after and he was to be taken care of there under guard. Perhaps that's what the army copters outside it in the show represent? Being a smaller town they were slower to have the zombies show up as well so he was likely tended to longer.

I do agree about the IV bag, but c'est la vie. If that's the one thing that's being identified in the show, I'll take it ;)

Remove ads