D&D 5E The Warlord shouldn't be a class... change my mind!

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
No, perhaps not.

For me there are two key questions that would facilitate an eventual full WL build.

1. How to balance an ability (superiority die) that adds a d8 damage and a condition rider, target self, on a successful hit, with an identical ability that can be applied to friendly targets within a set range. This answers the question of what the cost of target self versus target ally is.

2. How to balance that same d8 damage plus rider ability with a straight 2d8 damage on successful hit. This extends the math to cover converting spell slots so long as we're willing to grant that divine smite is a balanced exchange of spell slots for damage. Combined with the answer to question one we can extend divine smite to ally targeted WL abilities.

Obviously this isn't everything a full WL build needs, but if the above were balanced and correct it would be several large steps in the right direction. Once you have this balanced out you can start tinkering with the riders and conditions to get the feel right. And from there to whatever else needs doing. It's just my personal preference to get an order of operations in place for design work like this, and this is the OoO that makes sense to me.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Just a thought, way out in left field. What about designing Warlord subclasses for more than one existing class instead of building a whole new cl;ass with multiple subclasses? You have a lot less design space, but there's also a lot less to balance. I know this won't appeal to the serious fans who want the whole enchilada, but it's very doable.
I like that idea as an addition, and also would love to put a set of additional and replacement class variants for Fighter, along with a new subclass or new Battlemaster manuvers.

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
In an honest effort to convince @Urriak Uruk, I point simply to the relative desire for a Warlord when compared to the desire for an Artificer. Yes, a Warlord is more divisive, but I doubt that people will quit the game due to the implementation of an additional class.

To be fair I don't think many people would quit if Wizard's added beekeeper as a class. I wouldn't use the "people may quit D&D if this is added" as one of the reasons why it shouldn't be added.

Remove ads