• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Warmage, Alot more thasna sorcerer?

Storyteller01

First Post
Minor highjack...

If you prefer something else, MGP has battle mage/eldritch swordsman PrC's. Actually much more powerful, damage wise, but their unque spells come with some interesting changes (spiral and mobile emination effects are always fun). Others show creative thought and some evil applications (all corpses in the area of effect burst into flames...). They still have to save/avoid SR for most of their spells though :). It's balanced by the high cost of materials and maintanence (they require special equipment, and they have to be part of a guild).

They can't wear (normal) armor, but that's what long range is for... :]

Last edited:

Felon

First Post
Bottom line: getting a broader selection of spells isn't such a big deal when they're all variations on the same theme. But they don't suck outright, as some attest. Most non-spellcasting classes "just do damge".

As I stated in another thread I started today, a warmage with the the Practiced Spellcaster feat is ideal for multi-classed characters that want to wear some armor and don't want to settle for a d4 hit die.

Timeron Malachi

First Post
Fix: Make the Warmage what it should be...The Cleric of Arcane casters. Good Fort and Will, 15/10/5 BAB, D8 Hit Die, All *combat* spells, not just damaging spells. Spells to eliminate negative modifiers typical to combat, like darkness, displacement, being flanked, ect.

In my opinion, though I like the flavor for Warmages, and even the first few level abilities, the class isn't worthwhile to take all the way through. If ignoring armor check applied to all classes once you had the ability, or the Warmage edge applied to spells from other classes, then it might be worth it, but then it'd just be another front-loaded 4 level dip.

I think Land Outcast is right: This fits more as a prestige class...I'd say either a 5 or 10 level class. Problem is, there are already tons of classes for a fighter/sorcerer mix.

Sravoff

First Post
Timeron Malachi said:
Fix: Make the Warmage what it should be...The Cleric of Arcane casters. Good Fort and Will, 15/10/5 BAB, D8 Hit Die, All *combat* spells, not just damaging spells. Spells to eliminate negative modifiers typical to combat, like darkness, displacement, being flanked, ect.

That wouldn't make it too powerful?

-Sravoff

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads