• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E The Warrior

Tony Vargas

Legend
I think they have bent over backwards trying to make the fighter as good as possible.
I would have to disagree with that assessment. There have certainly been attempts to improve the fighter in each edition. They've generally fallen short, and been scrapped-and-re-done rather than built upon. The 5e fighter, specifically, is mostly a throw-back to the classic game (fitting in a game that prioritizes classic feel, of course).

Just compare the fighter's evolution to that of casting. Casting keeps getting easier. When casters get a new perk or slough a limitation in one edition, the next doesn't generally un-do it. AD&D piled restrictions on casting, far worse than on ranged weapons, 3e let you make concentration checks to ignore most of those, 4e reduced all those limitations down to 'ranged/area' spells provoking, just like ranged weapon, 5e made casting in melee less restricted than using a ranged weapon in melee.
Fighters? AD&D gave them % STR, 3e took it away. AD&D gave them more hps for CON over 16, 3e gave that to everyone. 3e gave fighters bonus feats, 4e gave everyone the same number of feats. 4e gave fighters marking, superior OAs, at-will and daily maneuvers, more hps than ever before, and 5e took all that away. 5e gave the fighters Extra Attack and Indomitable, CS dice and spellcasting...

Quickleaf

Legend
I've been puzzling over how to design an equivalent of Cunning Action for my take on the fighter. Tentatively named Martial Alacrity.

--------------------

My reasons for wanting to add Martial Alacrity:

1. It supports a more reactive back-and-forth style of play, which I think makes the fighter more fun and more fighter-y.

2. Most classes have two features at 2nd level that "step up & synergize." The fighter and rogue, however, just get one feature. This is an opportunity to heighten their flavor.

--------------------

Now, part of the reason the designers gave the fighter Action Surge at 2nd level and nothing else is that Action Surge (like Cunning Action) is really potent. So, since I'm keeping Action Surge (as part of the Warrior's Gift feature), Martial Alacrity isn't going to be as powerful as Cunning Action.

Cunning Action can be valued as equivalent to the Goblin's Nimble Escape (which the DMG values as worth +4 AC and +4 attack, assuming they hide every round). That drives home how potent it is.

So my idea is to make the baseline ability more flavorful, and then certain subclasses (or fighting talents) can expand on it to make it more powerful, similar to how the Thief's Fast Hands expands upon Cunning Action.

--------------------

[SECTION]Martial Alacrity
Starting at 2nd level, your skill at arms and battle awareness allow you to adapt quickly to changing conditions. Once per round, either on your turn or at the end of another creature’s turn, you can Shove a creature, equip a shield, change the grip on a weapon from one-handed to two-handed (or vice versa), or stow and draw a weapon for free.
[/SECTION]

[SECTION]Martial Alacrity
Starting at 2nd level, your skill at arms and battle awareness allow you to adapt quickly to changing conditions. Once per round, either on your turn or at the end of another creature’s turn, you can Shove a creature, equip a shield, change the grip on a weapon from one-handed to two-handed (or vice versa), or stow and draw a weapon for free.
[/SECTION]
The problem I see is that these options aren't equivalent. A free shove is very good, easily on par with or even superior to what the rogue can do with Cunning Action. A free shield equip (or, I would assume, un-equip) -- normally a standard action, so technically as good as the free shove or the rogue's free dash/disengage/hide, but practically speaking probably a little more niche in use. A free stow or draw, that's something you can normally do for "free" once per turn, so no biggie. And a free grip change, that's something there aren't even rules for, and that I haven't seen any DM ever care about.

You could also consider an ability that allows the fighter to make one extra 5ft. step per round, whenever an enemy misses against them. I'm thinking of a warrior that nimbly sidesteps as a reaction to an enemy's swing-and-a-miss.

Quickleaf

Legend
The problem I see is that these options aren't equivalent. A free shove is very good, easily on par with or even superior to what the rogue can do with Cunning Action. A free shield equip (or, I would assume, un-equip) -- normally a standard action, so technically as good as the free shove or the rogue's free dash/disengage/hide, but practically speaking probably a little more niche in use. A free stow or draw, that's something you can normally do for "free" once per turn, so no biggie. And a free grip change, that's something there aren't even rules for, and that I haven't seen any DM ever care about.

You could also consider an ability that allows the fighter to make one extra 5ft. step per round, whenever an enemy misses against them. I'm thinking of a warrior that nimbly sidesteps as a reaction to an enemy's swing-and-a-miss.

Good points. Hmm. Something belongs as a second 2nd-level feature besides Action Surge...but maybe a "Cunning Action parallel" isn't quite it.

So...still thinking it's a good idea to make the fighter a bit more of a reactive play style...

What if I introduced a feature which lets the fighter take the Ready action without expending his reaction? So he could still use his reaction for opportunity attacking or parrying (or Protection fighting style, or Iron Resolve talent).

Though not sure if I see the play style of the fighter being one emphasizing taking the Ready action. Hmm.

What if I introduced a feature which lets the fighter take the Ready action without expending his reaction? So he could still use his reaction for opportunity attacking or parrying (or Protection fighting style, or Iron Resolve talent).

Thats an interesting idea, but I think you might want to avoid creating more confusion regarding how the Ready action works. I could see this ability quickly becoming a confusing mess to some players, because it breaks the rules of how the Ready action works.

I like the idea of having an ability related to parrying though. Maybe he can do something to intercept an attack from an opponent that is not targeting him, as long as he is within 5 ft. distance of that opponent? That would allow him to gain a benefit from having a party member at his side, and fighting in a formation.

Quickleaf

Legend
Thats an interesting idea, but I think you might want to avoid creating more confusion regarding how the Ready action works. I could see this ability quickly becoming a confusing mess to some players, because it breaks the rules of how the Ready action works.

I like the idea of having an ability related to parrying though. Maybe he can do something to intercept an attack from an opponent that is not targeting him, as long as he is within 5 ft. distance of that opponent? That would allow him to gain a benefit from having a party member at his side, and fighting in a formation.

That's sort of what the Protection fighting style does already, isn't it?

Hmm.

I was contemplating allowing multiple reactions – by sacrificing Extra Attacks. For example, an 11th-level fighter could use an action to Attack, making 2 attacks, then convert his third attack into a bonus Reaction. So he'd have *two* Reactions that round. My concern was the same as yours about confusing players, however.

If I did incorporate a "tradeoff Extra Attacks for extra Reactions", then it might be good to include extra ways the fighter can use Reaction (kind of what I was getting at with my previous idea for Martial Alacrity). So maybe that's the 2nd level feature – alternative uses for the fighter's Reaction.

That would create 3 main things competing for my redesigned fighter's Reaction:
  • Opportunity attacks
  • Parrying
  • Other special stuff

[SECTION]Other things competing for the fighter's Reaction include certain feats like Defensive Duelist, Mage Slayer, Sentinel, and Shield Master. As well as the fighting talent I created called Iron Resolve. Usually, if I were to see 4-5 potential uses for a Reaction (or a Bonus Action), I'd be concerned it was too much competing for the same design space. However, by allowing the fighter to "create" extra Reactions, that makes these 4-5 potential uses more viable.[/SECTION]

"Other special stuff" could be equipping a shield, or swapping out gear/weapons – that makes sense given the fighter is probably the one most likely to employ multiple weapons in a party, and their history in D&D as "gear heads."

I'm tempted to make the trigger "when a creature hits or misses you with an attack..." but that is kinda limiting. For example, I'd expect "other special stuff" to include reacting to a trap/hazard/non-attack spell as well. When I used to play AD&D with my friend Jarett (who ran a fighter), we'd have exchanges that would often go like this:

DM: The shadowy fear demon rises from the mist-covered castle floor and rushes at you!
Player (fighter): Hmm, so this is the thing that consumes fear with its gaze? Can I pull out my mirror before combat begins, holding it up to reflect all the fears the demon has absorbed back at it?
DM: Sure, you hold up the mirror just as the demon draws near you and it screeches, abruptly stopping a few feet from the mirror. *rolls save* It loses 25% of its current hit points and begins the combat frightened of you. OK, now let's roll initiative.

So, in that scenario, the trigger for his "Reaction" would have been "rolling for initiative."

Hmm. I'll have to reflect more on what sort of trigger language I should use for this.

Overall, I like the idea of the fighter class design encouraging a more reactive, highly adaptive style of play. That *feels* right to me to portray both a worldly tactician & an action hero.

However, there are drawbacks to a more reactive fighter, because it can slow down play at a table where a party has lots of options for Reactions. And in the hands of a newer or slower-to-decide player, a fighter using multiple Reactions could also increase the "handling time" of the class.

Last edited:

Another idea would be to give the fighter an ability to preroll a result once per day, and save it for when he needs it. Sort of like a backup plan.

Or maybe a bonus for switching to a different weapon mid-fight? I like the idea of the fighter being a class that carries many types of weapons for every occasion.

Or maybe some unique movement related skill? Kinda like sliding down a curtain with a sword, or swinging across a room with a whip? Maybe the fighter has a unique ability that allows him to improvise with his weapon to traverse a great distance, provided the action makes sense?

Just throwing out some random ideas...

Eubani

Legend
Other bonus action ideas:
Take Stock: Perception check to see what is happening on the battlefield
Wariness: Grant Temp HP till beginning of next turned due to raised defence
Make use of distraction: Gain advantage on melee attack against a creature that was damaged by ally since your last turn.
Quick foot work: Move 5ft
Set Up: Provide advantage on attacks against enemy in melee range for allies till your next turn.
Intercept: Push enemy 5ft

Quickleaf

Legend
Another idea would be to give the fighter an ability to preroll a result once per day, and save it for when he needs it. Sort of like a backup plan.

Or maybe a bonus for switching to a different weapon mid-fight? I like the idea of the fighter being a class that carries many types of weapons for every occasion.

Or maybe some unique movement related skill? Kinda like sliding down a curtain with a sword, or swinging across a room with a whip? Maybe the fighter has a unique ability that allows him to improvise with his weapon to traverse a great distance, provided the action makes sense?

Just throwing out some random ideas...

Other bonus action ideas:
Take Stock: Perception check to see what is happening on the battlefield
Wariness: Grant Temp HP till beginning of next turned due to raised defence
Make use of distraction: Gain advantage on melee attack against a creature that was damaged by ally since your last turn.
Quick foot work: Move 5ft
Set Up: Provide advantage on attacks against enemy in melee range for allies till your next turn.
Intercept: Push enemy 5ft

Definitely interesting ideas.

Not sure they belong in the core class – but definitely I could see the Bravo, for example, being highly mobile & having a feature that expands on Martial Alacrity (or whatever I end up calling it) and allows him to move great distances in a swashbuckly manner or take a quick 5 foot move as a reaction.

I think the key is to make the core feature simple & thematic – fighter is the last class I'd want to have too much complexity baked into the core class. Remembering a list of things you can do with your Reaction that aren't strongly thematically connected would defeat the elegant simplicity I'm aiming for. So maybe I need to re-think this a bit...

Cunning Action works as a simple option because it's 3 thematically connected things that support the rogue's concept: Hiding, Tumbling out of reach, and Moving Fast. It synergizes with the rogue's Sneak Attack. We can imagine that, yeah, it makes sense for a rogue to run fast through a hallway of firing dart traps. And yeah, it makes sense that a rogue tumbles away from the hydra or the death knight.

For this fighter redesign I'm thinking about encouraging a reactive play style – without burdening the player with remembering rules minutiae or confusing them with changes to how Readying works, for example.

So...

What if the fighter player decides what triggers their Reaction? Does it then become indistinguishable from Readying an action?

Hmm, so the trigger to their special Reaction needs to be defined. Something like When you roll initiative (and are not surprised), roll a saving throw, or an attack hits or misses you?

I kinda like that. It gives the fighter a little edge when battle begins, lets the fighter do cool stuff along with their save (e.g. shaking off a charm at the last second only to throw the caster off a cliff), reinforces the idea that you want to think twice before messing with a fighter.

And – since this fighter can eventually get multiple Reactions, I'll need to change the usual proviso of "only 1/round" to "1/turn"; that way it's not possible, for example, for a fighter to BOTH Parry an incoming attack and then use Martial Alacrity to counterattack. Hmm. Actually, I like that, but may be too powerful.

I kind of like the idea of the Reaction being usable for ANY action you could take in combat: Make an Ability Check, Attack, Cast a Spell, Dash, Disengage, Dodge, Help, Hide, Ready, Search, or Use an Object.

Of course, that's probably much too powerful. Because it steps on the Rogue's toes. And because we don't want a multi-class/Eldritch Knight fighter slinging spells as Reactions. And because Readying as Reaction would be broken. So that limits it down to: Make an Ability Check, Attack, Dodge, Help, Search, or Use an Object.

Not sure I like that list. And not sure I even like a *list* at all. I need to find a way to make what can be done with the Reaction more freeform. Maybe....*any* "interact with the environment/object in the environment" non-action? Things like, swapping weapons, opening or closing a door, throwing an unconscious ally over your shoulder, holding open a portcullis, withdrawing a potion from your backpack, removing a torch from a sconce, giving advice to a fellow PC when it's not your turn, etc.

OK, that's starting to look better... Here's what I've formulated so far...

[SECTION]Martial Alacrity: Starting at 2nd level, you can use your Reaction when you roll initiative (as long as you are not surprised), roll a saving throw, or an attack hits or misses you. You can use this Reaction to interact with an object or feature of the environment; for example, you could stow your sword and draw your bow, open or close a door, throw an unconscious ally over your shoulder, hold open a portcullis, withdraw a potion from your backpack, remove torch from a sconce, or give advice to a fellow PC when it's not your turn.[/SECTION]

How does that look as a core class feature? And then certain subclasses can expand on it (e.g. Bravo can use it to perform a special movement, or maybe a guardian-type can equip a shield)?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads