• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Themes: What 5E Can Learn from the Ranger

hafrogman

Adventurer
I'm detecting very little interest or excitement on the subject of themes...
:uhoh:
I'm extremely excited about the subject of themes, specifically of being able to divorce themes from classes. To be fair, right now we know little about exactly what constitutes a theme, how they'll be implemented and what kind of themes we can expect.

But I have high hopes for a system where (at least the basic) themes are quite a lot like ranger's combat styles, but for anyone. This would mean two things. One, that the same twf (tempest?) theme could be used by the barbarian with two axes, the ranger with long and short swords and the rogue with two daggers. And two, if themes are universal, there's no need to only write one or two (archer or twf), so each character is free to choose whichever suits best without regards to someone else's preconceived notions of how a member of a specific class should function.

JRRNeiklot

First Post
Everyone's talking about themes, but we seem to be forgetting the most important part: Theme music!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBjXXzqXjIQ[/ame]

hafrogman

Adventurer
I thought we have a good idea of what themes might be from the recent D&D Next blog: pre-packaged feat selections.
The problem being that we don't know what feats look like yet. A base assumption might be that they look like 3rd and 4th edition feats. But then we get to the idea that arcane archer and shadowdancer are advanced themes. The kind of abilities ascribed to those when they were prestige classes are way outside of what feats could accomplish in earlier editions. Thus we're still left with some major questions.

Are feats more impressive and far reaching, representing real mechanics?
Are feats generally the same, with old flavor names added to higher level sets?
Are themes ONLY a feat delivery system, or are there other mechanics tied to them as well?

Steely_Dan

First Post
I heard so far we have 3 Ranger deals: Aragorn, Drizzt (...i know, dusky-skinned-rough-trade-boy will never go away...) and Pet Guy (Grizzly Adams).

*said in the voice of Peter (Family Guy)*

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads