D&D Movie/TV There's A New Trailer For D&D: Honor Among Thieves

A brand new trailer for the upcoming Dungeons & Dragons movie has just been released! The movie comes out March 31st. This trailer very much highlights the tongue-in-cheek nature of the movie and is filled with one-liners. The trailer also gives us a good luck at the Red Wizards of Thay, along with the mimic, the owlbear, and other iconic D&D monsters.

A brand new trailer for the upcoming Dungeons & Dragons movie has just been released! The movie comes out March 31st. This trailer very much highlights the tongue-in-cheek nature of the movie and is filled with one-liners. The trailer also gives us a good luck at the Red Wizards of Thay, along with the mimic, the owlbear, and other iconic D&D monsters.

Undrave

Legend
Only if Realmslore had a spell SPECIFICALLY made to counter them Hand spells...but then can't expect anyone involved with the movie to know any Realmslore.
Only NERDS care about Realmslore man :p nobody cares if its canon or not, nor about Spell Levels. Nobody's gonna be counting spell slots in this movie.

Besides, DnD doesn't even let you interrupt spells anymore, you have to resolve them before your character can react, so it's already nonsense rules before we get to spell level. The character is using magic to protect an ally from a different spell, that's cool looking and that's all that matters.

Yea, having higher level spells be blocked by low level spells is not my style. I see this as one of the worst styles: you make a weak game where the weak heroes would be slaughtered by the Hand spell. So backed into that corner the earth grasp spell gets a boost to high level effect just so the heroes can be saved.
And yet, see invisibility is a 2nd level spell that blocks the 4th level greater invisibility .
Just answer the question: Would WotC be willing to print an errata saying "max's earthen grasp can automatically hold and deflect other spells" and "Bigys hand can be blocked and held by any low level spell effect". Or things to that effect? Oh, I wonder why not? Or add a rule "the heroes spells act like the wish spell effect to do whatever they want"?

Only if Realmslore had a spell SPECIFICALLY made to counter them Hand spells...but then can't expect anyone involved with the movie to know any Realmslore.
Except, you’re the one playing with homebrew then, and the way the spell is shown in the trailer is a lot more faithful to the rules.

Near as I can tell, the only issue is that Max’s refers to grabbing CREATURES, not OBJECTS. However, Bigby’s hand has both an AC and hit points, so ruling that it can’t be targeted by spells because it isn’t a creature seems to go against the intention of the spell.

Max’s Earthen Grasp has a Strength saving throw, and if Bigby’s hand fails, it can spend its “action” using a Strength check trying to free itself. Given its high Strength, it is very likely to succeed.

pukunui

Legend
Not sure if anyone else has mentioned this already, but the movie was originally slated to come out in late March (I remember being excited because its release date was a few days off my birthday), but when I was at the theater yesterday, I noticed that the standees for the movie they've got say it's coming out in April. Has there been any word about it being delayed?

Mad_Jack

Legend
But remember, Green acid is normal. It’s the barbarian fighting off the guards with a brick that is unrealistic.
😀

Having actually been hit by a brick before, I can confirm that the fight scene was incredibly realistic... :p

Only NERDS care about Realmslore man :p nobody cares if its canon or not, nor about Spell Levels. Nobody's gonna be counting spell slots in this movie.

Besides, DnD doesn't even let you interrupt spells anymore, you have to resolve them before your character can react, so it's already nonsense rules before we get to spell level. The character is using magic to protect an ally from a different spell, that's cool looking and that's all that matters.

The thing about experiencing something through a visual medium, rather than through a text medium (which is what the game mechanics of D&D are), is that words on a page have never been able to translate directly to pictures on a screen - nevermind in a fashion that's actually entertaining. Any adaption of something from one medium to another is going to require some creative license to even at least somewhat accurately convey the general tone of the piece in question, nevermind trying to exactly recreate one specific element of it perfectly.

Visual mediums require visual (and audio) cues and effects to convey what's happening in the story. But what does being a Bard look like? How do you distinguish between a Wizard and a Sorcerer until some bit of exposition in the film explains it?
If you go through something like the spell lists, how many of the non-direct-damage spells lack a physical description of what the magic actually looks like while it's happening? What's the visual cue that someone failed their save against Charm Person, that a person is under the effect of See Invisibility, or as mentioned above, that they've successfully counter-spelled something?
Barbarian rage or reckless attack might be possible to portray roughly onscreen, but what does a wizard with a dagger attacking with advantage look like, so that you could recognize it onscreen? What does elven accuracy or the halflings lucky trait (or any forced reroll or simple mathematical adjustment to a gaming mechanic) look like in a movie?

Any time you go to see something translated from another medium into a movie or tv show, you have to acknowledge that there's going to be some accommodations made for the limits of the new medium.

For a movie trying to recreate an rpg, they have to go with Rule of Cool over strict adherence to game mechanics in order to make the film more entertaining and sell more tickets.
Especially considering that the majority of the audience (at least if they want it to be financially successful) isn't going to be someone familiar enough with the game's rules to stand up in the theatre and yell, "Hey, they can't do that!"...

And yet, see invisibility is a 2nd level spell that blocks the 4th level greater invisibility .
Blocks? What does See Invisibility do in your game, hold person by sight?
Except, you’re the one playing with homebrew then, and the way the spell is shown in the trailer is a lot more faithful to the rules.

Near as I can tell, the only issue is that Max’s refers to grabbing CREATURES, not OBJECTS. However, Bigby’s hand has both an AC and hit points, so ruling that it can’t be targeted by spells because it isn’t a creature seems to go against the intention of the spell.

Max’s Earthen Grasp has a Strength saving throw, and if Bigby’s hand fails, it can spend its “action” using a Strength check trying to free itself. Given its high Strength, it is very likely to succeed.
The Bigys hand is more of a spell effect then an object.

Just my way of thinking is doing the "whatever looks cool to a narrow target audience " is not a good thing for a movie. But then this movie also has the "yuck yuck yuck stick something inside the monsters mouth so it can't bite me slapstick gag!

Undrave

Legend
For a movie trying to recreate an rpg, they have to go with Rule of Cool over strict adherence to game mechanics in order to make the film more entertaining and sell more tickets.
Especially considering that the majority of the audience (at least if they want it to be financially successful) isn't going to be someone familiar enough with the game's rules to stand up in the theatre and yell, "Hey, they can't do that!"...
Exactly!
Just my way of thinking is doing the "whatever looks cool to a narrow target audience " is not a good thing for a movie. But then this movie also has the "yuck yuck yuck stick something inside the monsters mouth so it can't bite me slapstick gag!
It's the opposite of a narrow audience. You're the narrow audience!

OB1

Jedi Master
Not sure if anyone else has mentioned this already, but the movie was originally slated to come out in late March (I remember being excited because its release date was a few days off my birthday), but when I was at the theater yesterday, I noticed that the standees for the movie they've got say it's coming out in April. Has there been any word about it being delayed?
US release is March 31. It wouldn't be abnormal for the worldwide rollout to happen over a few weeks/months.

Remove ads

Remove ads